You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 27, 2017 8:51 am

Calypso
Active

Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite


This one of my favorite poems. Brathwaite sums up the history and the kaleidoscope of the Caribbean in lyrical oration.
We were and still are a chain of exploited islands by the Europeans-- the white man.
Slave labor was cheap and now black labor is still cheap.
We remain poor while they are rich. They travel the islands and gazed as
us with a distant eye, refusing to acknowledge that our lack of development began and ends with their exploiting us.
We dream of betterment ,therefore, we migrate to their distant shores.

Last edited by Calypso (Aug 27, 2017 9:08 am)

Offline

#2 Aug 27, 2017 9:28 am

Slice
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

Do we always and always blame the white man?  Instead of always blaming another person, can  and when in God's Earth, we are going to start rebuilding ourselves.  Ah so Frigging tired of the blame game.  Look the Indians of Trinidad and Tobago is ah fine example, of where to look, to start taking charge of our future.

Offline

#3 Aug 27, 2017 10:14 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

Slice wrote:

Do we always and always blame the white man?  Instead of always blaming another person, can  and when in God's Earth, we are going to start rebuilding ourselves.  Ah so Frigging tired of the blame game.  Look the Indians of Trinidad and Tobago is ah fine example, of where to look, to start taking charge of our future.

I'm sorry that you think of it  that way. It's not about blaming the white man. Colonization and monopolization of industries stagnates the growth of a region.

Offline

#4 Aug 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

I think that is called   .....  Trying to hitch a ride
What an  obvious ploy of self promotion. - 'sad , sad'

Nice poem though.

To me Brath is becoming  MORE       ....  ah,.. ah,..  "Well Known"  ..... dese days.

Offline

#5 Aug 27, 2017 4:05 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

Recognizing the problems of the past should not be seen as "blaming the white man?" On your point about Blacks needing to improve themselves, haven't you walked that path? Haven't you done so by making progress as you have indicated on here more than once? Also, there are many other Blacks -- West Indians, Americans, all over the globe -- who have done likewise. Why, then, suggest that Blacks are not moving forward? (See your comment: "Instead of always blaming another person, can and when in God's Earth, we are going to start rebuilding ourselves.")

So, Slice, you are overreacting to Calypso's post and not facing facts.

Offline

#6 Aug 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

I am so pee'd.

I just wrote a bible of sensible statements, and for some weird reason when I posted it the page didn't reload, and a good half hours worth of thought and typing went right out the window.

The extremely condensed version is that mostly it is Grenadians be it in the Government or otherwise who are keeping Grenadians down. I really cant be asked to give the explanation of that. I have just had enough of typing.

Offline

#7 Aug 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

gripe wrote:

Recognizing the problems of the past should not be seen as "blaming the white man?" On your point about Blacks needing to improve themselves, haven't you walked that path? Haven't you done so by making progress as you have indicated on here more than once? Also, there are many other Blacks -- West Indians, Americans, all over the globe -- who have done likewise. Why, then, suggest that Blacks are not moving forward? (See your comment: "Instead of always blaming another person, can and when in God's Earth, we are going to start rebuilding ourselves.")

So, Slice, you are overreacting to Calypso's post and not facing facts.

Brathwaite's ' poem shows  the struggle we have rebuilding ourselves after colonization and monopolization  of European power. He mentioned the educated black and the uneducated white boss who masters over him. One who has the tool--education to rule and the other-- the white man--though uneducated he is the representation of power. His white skin gives him the power to be lord and master , even though he is an idiot! As a mentioned, we migrate to distant shores to seek betterment. Slice did it, I did it, and Dancer it then moved back to Gree.

Offline

#8 Aug 27, 2017 5:08 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

Calypso, one of the most valid reasons for still decrying the unfair system is the example that you highlighted: "the educated black and the uneducated white boss who masters over him." I want to believe that Slice will find that arrangement unbearable.

Offline

#9 Aug 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

gripe wrote:

Calypso, one of the most valid reasons for still decrying the unfair system is the example that you highlighted: "the educated black and the uneducated white boss who masters over him." I want to believe that Slice will find that arrangement unbearable.

We have all been in situation like that. Whites who are not suited for the position gets it because of skin color. Blacks who are much better at it are being ruled by them. Fcuk Slice!!

Offline

#10 Aug 27, 2017 5:52 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Calypso by Kamau Brathwaite

Calypso, you describe a reality that cannot, and should not, be ignored.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB