You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Aug 28, 2017 6:57 pm

New Historian
Active

The 1976 England "Make them grovel" tour of the Windies

Woooiii, what a time that was - licks! This was in the early days of the Windies' 18-year dominance, when England thought they were in with a chance. In a pre-tour interview, Tony Greig, the South African-born England captain, said he intended to "make them grovel". Whaaat? You, a white South African, deep in the dark days of apartheid, are going to make the West Indian team, the pride of millions of black people worldwide, are going to come, on our home hallowed grounds, and make us ... grovel???

Hoo wee, those words were perfect, talk about rile up your enemy! The result? A complete demolition, led by the fired up Michael Holding, who delivered "the best over in the world", at Kensington Oval.

Aaahh, when we were Kings!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co … 34960.html

#2 Aug 30, 2017 7:51 am

Dancer
Active

Re: The 1976 England "Make them grovel" tour of the Windies

I saw your cricket post  and said ,  Hold strain , we are in the middle of this interesting 2nd test and looking good .
....... fired up by some good batting , there is still oil in the lamp,  keep it burning.
...  and the fellas , knowing our history , like you  ...  responded.
Aaahh ,

#3 Aug 30, 2017 10:04 am

Slice
Active

I know he was not the best, but God Have MERCY, ah love me some Mike Holdings.  The West indies cricket team was motived then and just doh know where the motivation is coming from, on this team.

I think once we have some decent fast Bowlers and get rid of the current skipper, we will be back to somewhat where we was.

West Indies do not have ah Fast Bowler.  Ah hate to see grown men bowl spin.  If I am captain of ah Cricket team is pace and more pace. I ent having one spinner.

#4 Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

I know he was not the best, but God Have MERCY, ah love me some Mike Holdings.  The West indies cricket team was motived then and just doh know where the motivation is coming from, on this team.

I think once we have some decent fast Bowlers and get rid of the current skipper, we will be back to somewhat where we was.

West Indies do not have ah Fast Bowler.  Ah hate to see grown men bowl spin.  If I am captain of ah Cricket team is pace and more pace. I ent having one spinner.

LOL pace in yuh face! Yes I loved Holding aka "Whispering Death" too, and he's a GREAT commentator now.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINDIES TEAM, you make many, many, many people so happy!

#5 Aug 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Slice
Active

Looking at the CPL yesterday it was great to see Kenniston Oval and the folks in Barbados honoring  their heroes.  There is the Marshall end. There is the Hall  and Griffin end. There is the Garfield Sobers Pavilion, then there is my favorite, the Greenidge and Haynes Pavilion.

#6 Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Looking at the CPL yesterday it was great to see Kennington Oval and the folks in Barbados honouring  their heroes.  There is the Marshall end. There is the Hall  and Griffin end. There is the Garfield Sobers Pavilion, then there is my favourite, the Greenidge and Haynes Pavilion.

I was in the Kennington Oval in '76 with me Trickidadian Lady. It was fun, but then as now I didn't really have a clue as to what was going on.... But it was a nice hot sunny day, as was much of '76.  I got more of a tan in the UK then, than I did on my first visit to Trinidad in '75.

#7 Sep 05, 2017 10:34 am

New Historian
Active

The great heat wave of '76, I went over to London from Jamaica and everyone was dropping like flies. What? I said, it's not hot, it's just normal lol.

#8 Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

Expat
Active

Back then I was building Buses. On the top deck when we were fitting the interior roof it was 110 degrees, we were supplied salt supplement tablets by the nurse on a regular basis.

#9 Sep 05, 2017 2:09 pm

New Historian
Active

While you built 'em, my brothers drove 'em: Routemasters. Nearly drove one myself but a better job came up. My brother knew he'd been driving a bus too long when one day he was driving his car along his 12 route - and stopped at a bus stop!!

#10 Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

While you built 'em, my brothers drove 'em: Routemasters. Nearly drove one myself but a better job came up. My brother knew he'd been driving a bus too long when one day he was driving his car along his 12 route - and stopped at a bus stop!!

Well, in the era following, when I worked for LT, I drove hundreds of them, but as an engineer not crew.

I probably was typed on more different types of Buses at that time than most other people in LT, as I went to most of the Garages, and had to be able to drive each type in that garage.

I remember once driving our crew bus between garages, and not knowing the route to follow to get from one to the other, so we followed the bus stops.... not knowing it was a single deck route.... and then came the bridge..... smile

It was marked lower than the bus height, but I tried it driving right in the kerb, and we got through.... apart from getting stuck of course, there was the danger of ripping off all the test antennas we had on the roof... But with one guy watching in front, one at the back, and me driving slowly we made it.... phew.

Board footer