You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Sep 10, 2017 12:52 pm

gripe
Active

Re: THOSE WHO HAVE INTEREST, CPL SCORES.

I will give you credit for asking questions, New Historian. But, I am concerned that the last of the two possibilities you gave to pin me in a corner, if that is truly what you think, would suggest that you may be on board with any activity that draws a crowd and is the flavor of the day. That approach is suspect, at best. Hopefully you are a "purist" at heart and not easily swayed by glitter that lacks substance.

#12 Sep 10, 2017 1:15 pm

New Historian
Active

Look, truth is I love cricket, all forms of it. Still love me tests and pleased as punch the second-string Windies team won the 2nd test in England, against all the odds. BUT, I also love T20! You ever been to a T20 match? it's a great atmosphere, with exciting, big-hitting cricket with nail-biting endings. But most of all I love the LIFE that T20 has brought back into cricket, and Windies cricket in particular. When was the last time you saw full stadiums in the West Indies?

If we could have ONE team, of the BEST players, the Windies could actually have a very good team, in all forms of the game, but it's ridiculous to schedule the CPL season at the same time as the Windies are touring England? The players are professionals, and of course they'll go to where the big money is, and that's not tests. They should have 3 seasons per year: tests, ODIs and T20.

Rallyyyyy, round the West Indies!

#13 Sep 10, 2017 10:07 pm

gripe
Active

The reason why there have been very poor attendance at West Indies games at home is because our guys have let us down miserably over at least the past 20 years.

The fuller stadiums now at home at those pint-sized, whacked games -- yes, the T20s -- is not solely because of the West Indian players. So, absent the participation of players from other countries adding to the excitement as is the case with similar events like the IPL, West Indian stadiums would not be full.

Yet, even though I admit that the West Indies' poor performance explains the poor attendance at test matches at home, I still prefer that pure form of the game compared to the money-infused, money-now, whack, whack T20s. I cherish class batting performances not guess work, for the moment hitting (whacked batting is unattractive to me).

#14 Sep 11, 2017 8:22 am

Slice
Active

gripe wrote:

I will give you credit for asking questions, New Historian. But, I am concerned that the last of the two possibilities you gave to pin me in a corner, if that is truly what you think, would suggest that you may be on board with any activity that draws a crowd and is the flavor of the day. That approach is suspect, at best. Hopefully you are a "purist" at heart and not easily swayed by glitter that lacks substance.

I am willing to gamble, that now America will get involved with cricket in ah big way.  They are now, but on a small scale, watch them enter the party.

Board footer