You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am

New Historian
Active

The gentle art of dallying

Word: Dally

Translation: Bobbing and weaving from side to side on a motorbike or bicycle

Ninety-five percent of all Jamaican bikers are certifiably insane. Okay that’ a bit unkind; only eighty-five. On top of the everyday variety of Jamaican badness, bikers are possessed of an even more virulent strain of exhibitionism: the ultimate poseur. Just look at how Jamaicans ride. For starters there’s no such thing as helmet laws, how can you flash your dreadlocks in a helmet? The most important piece of a Jamaican biker’s safety equipment is his darkers.

And then there’s dallying: the uniquely Jamaican style of riding a bike. For normal mortals, the laws of gravity and common sense dictate that when riding around a corner you lean into the corner. Not so with dallying. To properly “dally roun’ de corner” the rider leans in the opposite direction to the bike, as he weaves his way through the traffic, screwface rigid. Even when there were no corners, you’d see guys dallying down a perfectly straight road, just for stylee.

The dallying king of Kingston was a Rastaman (who else?) who rode a yellow and chrome Honda 350-4. With his waist-length dreadlocks flowing behind him he cut a swathe through the clutter of Kingston traffic, dallying and diving like a Rasta Dervish. I once saw him take a corner by Grant’s Pen at breakneck speed, only to buck up on a minibus stopped to pick up a fare.

I winced, certain I was about to witness the demise of the dread. Chi-ching! Sparks flew as he flung the bike one way then the other in the blink of an eye, avoiding bus, car and dog in quick succession. Like everyone else who witnessed that piece of sublime riding I was agog. The dread flashed his locks and rode on, cool as an ital cucumber. Jah!

#2 Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: The gentle art of dallying

Word : Dally

Word :  Banking.

#3 Sep 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Expat
Active

I am certain that you know the more conventional meanings of the word Dally, as in to act or move slowly, or to have a casual sexual liason.

There are total twats riding bikes everywhere, but it seems from your imagery that there is an even higher number in JA than even in Grenada, and there are an awful lot of dumb ass S.O.B.s to quote Mr Trump here. No wonder they find themselves embedded in lamp posts and other sundry unnecessary places.

I have ridden, many many thousands of miles, I have done a few really dumb things on bikes over the years, which luckily I am able to look back on. But I didn't treat every road as a challenge to Darwin as seems to be the unwritten law here. With bikes screaming through gears and doing some really weird show off revy slippy type gear changes, not to mention the compulsory wheelie. Which is dumber than dumb, as 99% of the time the bikes they are doing it on could pop a wheelie if a 5 year old was riding it.

I rode round the Island with a certain association once, and a less controlled stupid bunch of riders I have yet to encounter. Hence despite having the bike for probably 3 more years after that ride, I was not tempted to make it a habit.

#4 Sep 27, 2017 8:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Know the bunch you mean: nutters. That same fella who ploughed into the lampost, just 6 weeks before at the Wine Bar I said: mate, I'm a biker like you, I've been there, done dumb stuff, but I'm telling you: CALM IT DOWN, you're gonna kill yourself - or worse.

A whole bunch were riding the other day, and my boy decide to pop a wheelie. Pity he forgot to tell the chick on the back! Who of course was flashing a lot of flesh, and who was hit by the bike right behind her; carnage.

We were young, we did dumb stuff on bikes - but not THAT dumb! A certain Darwinian instinct within us stayed our right wrists; these young guns don't seem to have that survival gene.

JA_bikers.jpg

#5 Sep 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Expat
Active

Being "older" I guess most of my earlier bikes were not "THAT" powerful, and when after having a early mid life crisis return to bikes my penultimate bike was stolen I decided not to replace it as my only choice would have been destined either to kill me or lose me my license.... so after a long pause it was only just prior to coming full time to Grenada I bought a safer option in a 1200 Harley Sportster. Which was not a good choice for either me or more particularly Grenada with its gravel and pot holes. I enjoyed the bike in the UK flinging its nearly 600lbs through roundabouts and bendy roads. But the uncertainty of traffic, lousy tarmac, gravel etc meant there were few places a quick blip of the throttle were possible, or sensible. Plus even after upgrading the brakes were crap. The dealer actually said that you should use engine braking.....?  OK, maybe as well as it was certainly torquey, but not instead.....

I would have preferred a bigger cruiser type, but then again and another reason why I sold it, it was no blinkin use for going down unknown roads, as you never knew when it might dead end with you facing down hill and no ability to lug it round without smoking the rear tyre to turn it round.

One of those dirt bikes would have been better I guess, but the only ones I ever rode were geared so low they were hard work.... hence the ease of popping a wheelie, but not an enjoyable ride.

#6 Sep 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Dancer
Active

Expat wrote:

I am certain that you know the more conventional meanings of the word Dally, as in to act or move slowly, or to have a casual sexual liason.

There are total twats riding bikes everywhere, but it seems from your imagery that there is an even higher number in JA than even in Grenada, and there are an awful lot of dumb ass S.O.B.s to quote Mr Trump here. No wonder they find themselves embedded in lamp posts and other sundry unnecessary places.

I have ridden, many many thousands of miles, I have done a few really dumb things on bikes over the years, which luckily I am able to look back on. But I didn't treat every road as a challenge to Darwin as seems to be the unwritten law here. With bikes screaming through gears and doing some really weird show off revy slippy type gear changes, not to mention the compulsory wheelie. Which is dumber than dumb, as 99% of the time the bikes they are doing it on could pop a wheelie if a 5 year old was riding it.

I rode round the Island with a certain association once, and a less controlled stupid bunch of riders I have yet to encounter. Hence despite having the bike for probably 3 more years after that ride, I was not tempted to make it a habit.

>> I am certain that you know the more 'conventional meanings of the word dally , as in to act or move slowly ,  ( or to have a casual sexual liason ) . <<<

The last part triggered some teenage memory , dally, dally , where ??  Then I think I got it 'English teachers'  and ting.
I heard people using it when I was a young un.

What a nice word to have in your vocabulary to make  a  woman  smile.               ......  lol.
"coming over to have a dally on Saturday, Dolly ?  Stuppppssss . lol
OR .. Mavis  it ain't no big thing , just a litte dolly between us.

Thank you . Expat.

#7 Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Know the bunch you mean: nutters. That same fella who ploughed into the lampost, just 6 weeks before at the Wine Bar I said: mate, I'm a biker like you, I've been there, done dumb stuff, but I'm telling you: CALM IT DOWN, you're gonna kill yourself - or worse.

A whole bunch were riding the other day, and my boy decide to pop a wheelie. Pity he forgot to tell the chick on the back! Who of course was flashing a lot of flesh, and who was hit by the bike right behind her; carnage.

We were young, we did dumb stuff on bikes - but not THAT dumb! A certain Darwinian instinct within us stayed our right wrists; these young guns don't seem to have that survival gene.

https://s26.postimg.org/gdylmzy0l/JA_bikers.jpg

NH, I ent read ah ting you write, and I ent reading it either.  The pics said it all.

#8 Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am

New Historian
Active

Slice, what like this?

HBC.jpg

Board footer