You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Sep 28, 2017 7:43 am

Dancer
Active

IT IS NOT ABOUT ANY FLAG

Michael Bennett challenges Americans to treat people better. ...  Way to go Bro.
American Blacks/Africans knee so Slice could get justice, fairness and to curtail being called derogatory names in/at  the 'workplace '.
I just read about the young black woman dancer Raianna Brown at Georgia Tech taking a knee . It said more to me than NFL players doing the same.
She said when she knelt , her courage came from thinking of Emmett Till, Sandra Bland , Mike Brown and others .  We speak out, stand up.

#2 Sep 28, 2017 9:07 am

Slice
Active

Re: IT IS NOT ABOUT ANY FLAG

In ah way you kinda Johnny Come lately.  This issue was already dealt with on this very forum. We all know it was not about the flag.  Do you read other folks post, or you just post?

#3 Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

You know, I think that if the people who stand for the anthem really understood why people who kneel are kneeling, they would kneel too.

Likewise, I think that if people who kneel during the anthem really understood why people who stand are standing, they would stand too.

I think I understand why the kneelers kneel and why the standers stand.

Maybe I need to go to a reeducation camp or something, huh?

#4 Sep 28, 2017 9:39 am

Slice
Active

Ah tink you are taking this thing, in ah direction that is just too damn complicated.  The kneeling's are doing this because of Trump statement.  End of story.  As they say in Expat part of the world FULL STOP.

#5 Sep 28, 2017 9:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, I was talking about why they started kneeling during the Obama presidency.

#6 Sep 28, 2017 10:15 am

New Historian
Active

Kneel or stand, there's far too many national anthems being sung in America. Before every flipping game even if it's pee-wee baseball everyone has to stand for the anthem. When I did 8th grade in Illinois I was gobsmacked by the morning ritual of the pledge of allegiance - I skipped on that one lol and I was just a rebel kid!

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"

#7 Sep 28, 2017 10:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

To me, a "pledge of allegiance" is meaningless without reciprocity.

#8 Sep 28, 2017 10:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

This Grant Wood painting makes me feel patriotic.   As I have often said, I love my country but I fear my government.  For me, patriotism is about the land you love, a way of life and an extended family of people who share it.

stone-city-iowa-1930.jpg

By the way, this is a real place.  My wife grew up on a farm just over the horizon in the painting about six or eight miles away.

#9 Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

New Historian
Active

And this one makes me feel, if not patriotic then a feeling of: wow, I sure could have been born in worse places to live! This picture was taken just around the corner from where I was born, in Belmont.

#10 Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am

New Historian
Active

Canon_zoom2.jpg

Board footer