You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Sep 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Slice
Active

Re: "WIFE MATERIAL, "WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN TO CARIBBEN MEN?

She ent have none.  Men ent that crazy,

#12 Sep 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Woman stop moaning and go cook your man dinner lol!!

How about my man putting a nice string of South Sea pearls around my neck and taking me to a fine restaurant???

#13 Sep 29, 2017 6:30 pm

houston
Active

A fine restaurant?
You're going to the moon Alice!

#14 Sep 29, 2017 6:41 pm

New Historian
Active

"How about my man putting a nice string of South Sea pearls around my neck and taking me to a fine restaurant???"

That, my dear, is the Problem Statement, exactly. You wanted equality? Earn it, PAY for it lol!!!

#15 Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm

houston
Active

The feminist movement was for equality but seems to have gone beyond.

#16 Sep 29, 2017 8:16 pm

houston
Active

Men from Mars, Women from Venus....for sure, they will never be equal.

#17 Sep 29, 2017 10:41 pm

Calypso
Active

houston wrote:

The fact of the matter is that women do too much for men without any compensation. It's a Caribbean thing. We have among us women-dependent men who have nothing to offer but- a- not so- good- dick -----which they think it a god! Perhaps if the women learn to demand more instead of taking on a role of servitude then it would be better for them!

#18 Sep 30, 2017 12:17 am

Mt Rich Possi
Active

Calypso my idea of a wife material is a woman that perform well in the bedroom, cut her husband's toe nails, burst the pimples on her husband face and you can bet that husband won't have an outside woman... Once  his woman give him what he want in bed everything would be fine..

But when you have a wife who always tired and don't perform well in the bedroom I won't call her a good wife material..

Mt Rich Possi

#19 Sep 30, 2017 4:52 am

Vanni
Active

houston wrote:

Houston, it's not about being identical, it's about being considered having the same value regardless of gender.

Historically, women have been considered generally as inferior. According to countries & cultures, still a bit or a lot now. Equality, besides being considered as being of equal value whether man or woman, is, for example, about having the same access to professions, whatever the gender: if a woman wants to be a blacksmith or a mechanic, the doors are open for her, and if she is working equally well as what is predominantly a man's job, she is equally appreciated. Same the other way round.

Still, there are things at which a man is better, and things at which a woman is better: sometimes I call my husband for help, sometimes my husband calls me for help. And none of us considers himself as superior, we both appreciate each other in our specificity. This is complementarity, not identity.

I grew up in a society where women, for the same job, were (still now a bit?) paid less, & conveniently considered as less worth than a man. Also, though there is a lot I like here, men deigned to allow us women to vote in the 70s. And only cause we started to get loud roll

I understand the idea of androgyny. While I am not hyperfeminine in my appearance - I do not wear make up other than for highlighting my eyes, wear rather sober clothing, though colourful (ask Mr, he laughs big_smile ) and am able to hold tools in my hand and do some simple repair jobs in the home, as well as building a few simple structures with wood, among others: I am a woman, cannot be optically mistaken for a man, and I do appreciate some typical things associated with women: love to bake, to sew, to knit, a.s.o.

It seems to me that we are living in times of great sexual confusion. For example, some people wish to remove the distinction between man and woman, starting by little children, raising them up into nonspecific gender: while I welcome letting them choose their toys, I think that it is a mistake, or even a harm to not respect their natural inclination, as much in matter of toys as in matter of clothing, as well as wanting to hinder them to think of themselves in terms of boy or girl. This is confusing being identical with being equal in worth and in opportunities.

The more I go, the more I think that we are in times of great need for discernment smile

Last edited by Vanni (Sep 30, 2017 6:15 am)

#20 Sep 30, 2017 7:23 am

Calypso
Active

Vanni wrote:
houston wrote:

Houston, it's not about being identical, it's about being considered having the same value regardless of gender.

Historically, women have been considered generally as inferior. According to countries & cultures, still a bit or a lot now. Equality, besides being considered as being of equal value whether man or woman, is, for example, about having the same access to professions, whatever the gender: if a woman wants to be a blacksmith or a mechanic, the doors are open for her, and if she is working equally well as what is predominantly a man's job, she is equally appreciated. Same the other way round.

Still, there are things at which a man is better, and things at which a woman is better: sometimes I call my husband for help, sometimes my husband calls me for help. And none of us considers himself as superior, we both appreciate each other in our specificity. This is complementarity, not identity.

I grew up in a society where women, for the same job, were (still now a bit?) paid less, & conveniently considered as less worth than a man. Also, though there is a lot I like here, men deigned to allow us women to vote in the 70s. And only cause we started to get loud roll

I understand the idea of androgyny. While I am not hyperfeminine in my appearance - I do not wear make up other than for highlighting my eyes, wear rather sober clothing, though colourful (ask Mr, he laughs big_smile ) and am able to hold tools in my hand and do some simple repair jobs in the home, as well as building a few simple structures with wood, among others: I am a woman, cannot be optically mistaken for a man, and I do appreciate some typical things associated with women: love to bake, to sew, to knit, a.s.o.

It seems to me that we are living in times of great sexual confusion. For example, some people wish to remove the distinction between man and woman, starting by little children, raising them up into nonspecific gender: while I welcome letting them choose their toys, I think that it is a mistake, or even a harm to not respect their natural inclination, as much in matter of toys as in matter of clothing, as well as wanting to hinder them to think of themselves in terms of boy or girl. This is confusing being identical with being equal in worth and in opportunities.

The more I go, the more I think that we are in times of great need for discernment smile

>>>> grew up in a society where women, for the same job, were (still now a bit?) paid less, & conveniently considered as less worth than a man. Also, though there is a lot I like here, men deigned to allow us women to vote in the 70s. And only cause we started to get loud <<<<<<

We had to get loud in the seventies because the law wasn't on our side. The Caribbean is predominantly a working -class society and many people were poorer. We had children out of wedlock, therefore, there was little protection.  The emerging light-skinned, mixed-race people were of the better class.  Birth-control had to be used to control the population and some women were sterilized unknowingly to prevent further poverty and population growth.  Fighting for equal pay and better jobs were necessary. Caribbean working-class women didn't have any luxuries as their middle-class counterparts. They were primarily illiterate and  their men didn't know how to apply headship in a family. Thus, the women became man-like out of necessity. Black women, both Caribbean and North Americans are put down for their masculinity but it is important to know that it was a role thrust up on us by society. We in-return, passed it on to our female off-springs.  It is time that we demand more from our men so that we could lay down and rest. for a change!

Board footer