You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 02, 2017 9:41 am

New Historian
Active

So RD still no need for control of WMDs in America?

What will it take? Did you hear the sound of those machine guns, sounded like a Vietnam movie! Unreal.

"Thank God he was white!"

#2 Oct 02, 2017 9:52 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: So RD still no need for control of WMDs in America?

It would seem that it was a fully automatic weapon.  Without a very difficult to obtain federal licence, fully automatic weapons are very, very illegal in the United States already.  In other words, it is highly likely that he used an illegal, federally controlled weapon.

How does gun control solve the problem of terrorists using guns that are already controlled, illegal and very difficult to get?

New Historian wrote:

Why?

#3 Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am

New Historian
Active

The white comment was facetious, can you imagine the Trump fulminations if he was Muslim? If you know what you're doing it's easy to convert guns from one to another, and if you know where to get them, like gun shows, they are easy to get. Are those weapons easier to get hold of in USA than UK? Are there infinitely more gun murders in the USA than the UK? Get the correlation?

#4 Oct 02, 2017 10:10 am

GMW
Active

New Historian wrote:

What will it take? Did you hear the sound of those machine guns, sounded like a Vietnam movie! Unreal.

The excuses will continue. The NRA will pretty much determine the narrative. AGAIN. I think it's fair to say that this is sort of a part of American culture so maybe you and I wouldn't understand it as much as, let's say, RD does.

But I'm hearing much talk about the possibility of mental issues. I could think of other scenarios where mental issues wouldn't matter one bit. The inconsistencies are amazing. So.....

#5 Oct 02, 2017 10:11 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It is possible, but it isn't easy.  To convert an AR-15 you must have a new sear, a new selector switch, a new bolt carrier and a new trigger group.  The sear is illegal and cannot be purchased legally.  Furthermore, you must machine out a portion of the lower receiver so you will need metal milling equipment and the ability to use it.  Finally, the resulting firearm will be unreliable and malfunction and break down easily.

So, while it is possible to convert a semi-to a full auto, it is a stretch to say it is 'easy'.

Now, having said that, there are things like cranks that you can add that manually pull the trigger as you crank the handle.  In fact, I wonder if that was being used here.  The reason why is that the rate of fire was too fast for semi-auto but it seemed too slow for true full auto. 

You can't hit shit when you crank a crank but if you spray firing into a crowd I suppose you will get hits regardless.

Are they easy to get in the UK?  I dunno.  The terrorists in France a couple years ago had fully auto AKs.

As for the murder rate in the UK vs the US.  The US is a big place.  The murder rate where I live is comparable to the best locales in Europe.  You are significantly more at risk of being a victim of violent crime in any large city in the UK than you are in my part of Iowa.

You are a highly intelligent individual.  Don't over simplify it.

#6 Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am

New Historian
Active

Sometimes the solution is too simple to see.

#7 Oct 02, 2017 10:16 am

Real Distwalker
Active

C'mon man, you know there is nothing 'simple' about disarming America.  There is the Constitutional issues not to mention the literally millions of armed Americans that wouldn't have it.  It is far from simple.

#8 Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am

New Historian
Active

Yes because America has made a rod for its own back. "A fine mess you've gotten us into, Oliver!"

It starts with small steps, like repealing open carry for one, and then getting rid of these ridiculous lawless uncontrolled gun shows. I'm reading a harrowing book about Columbine, since 1999 you people haven't learned anything?

#9 Oct 02, 2017 10:22 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Furthermore, guns aren't even the most effective way to get a high body count.  The terrorist in Nice a couple years ago killed 86 with a truck.   There have been a couple dozen people killed in the UK with car attacks so far in 2017.

#10 Oct 02, 2017 10:23 am

Real Distwalker
Active

What do you think is the problem with gun shows?

Board footer