You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#21 Oct 02, 2017 11:54 am

New Historian
Active

Re: So RD still no need for control of WMDs in America?

Real Distwalker wrote:

Something more than 200.  Maybe 2,500 in the whole township.  Yet just about every house has guns.  Nobody shoots anybody else.

What a pity that the rest of your country isn't like the idyllic armed paradise of Boondock Iowa! There's lots of similar communities all over the USA, but you're closing your eyes to the problem by saying "Why can't they all be like us?" They are not, so make your laws for the lowest denominator, not the highest.

#22 Oct 02, 2017 11:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

In Switzerland, just about every house has government issued automatic weapons and ammunition.  This is part of universal military service.   Yet they have few mass shootings.  In a nation with so many military assault weapons, why do you suppose this is the case?

#23 Oct 02, 2017 11:57 am

Dancer
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Something more than 200.  Maybe 2,500 in the whole township.  Yet just about every house has guns.  Nobody shoots anybody else.

I would still like to question that 1888 date and 1 murder in 45 years.
Seems like the closest place you can get to heaven on earth.
Fool me once , fool me twice ...

#24 Oct 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There are hundreds of townships in the US that have never had a murder.  Sheesh.

#25 Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

In Switzerland, just about every house has government issued automatic weapons and ammunition.  This is part of universal military service.   Yet they have few mass shootings.  In a nation with so many military assault weapons, why do you suppose this is the case?

BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AMERICANS, DUH!

#26 Oct 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AMERICANS, DUH!

That seems more like a taunt than a real answer.

#27 Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm

New Historian
Active

Bit of both. The American psyche came out of a long history of violence and gun ownership. Your country was "made" by exterminating its original inhabitants, its heroes are all gun-totin' cowboys, in one form or another. Not many countries have gun ownership rights enshrined in their constitutions. Where else can you walk around openly carrying a semi-automatic? Is that enough for you?

#28 Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If I accept that, then I am amazed at the absolute scarcity of shootings in well armed nation of 330 million.

#29 Oct 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It is possible, but it isn't easy.  To convert an AR-15 you must have a new sear, a new selector switch, a new bolt carrier and a new trigger group.  The sear is illegal and cannot be purchased legally.  Furthermore, you must machine out a portion of the lower receiver so you will need metal milling equipment and the ability to use it.  Finally, the resulting firearm will be unreliable and malfunction and break down easily.

So, while it is possible to convert a semi-to a full auto, it is a stretch to say it is 'easy'.

Now, having said that, there are things like cranks that you can add that manually pull the trigger as you crank the handle.  In fact, I wonder if that was being used here.  The reason why is that the rate of fire was too fast for semi-auto but it seemed too slow for true full auto. 

You can't hit shit when you crank a crank but if you spray firing into a crowd I suppose you will get hits regardless.

Are they easy to get in the UK?  I dunno.  The terrorists in France a couple years ago had fully auto AKs.

As for the murder rate in the UK vs the US.  The US is a big place.  The murder rate where I live is comparable to the best locales in Europe.  You are significantly more at risk of being a victim of violent crime in any large city in the UK than you are in my part of Iowa.

You are a highly intelligent individual.  Don't over simplify it.

Some sort of Gun control is absolutely necessary.  Keep in the there are technology out there, that will prevent that sort of thing to keep on happening, but the NRA, won't let it happen.  If America is so damn civilize, Then there must be Common Sense Gun Control.  What is one person doing with 10 rifles?  I do not see the benefits in one person owning all those damn guns.

Maybe it was a mental breakdown, but with Gun Control that won't happen.  Those kind of things do not happen in cpountries where there are Gun Control. 

Granted terrorism will find ah way to kill folks, but ah guarantee in Europe, they won't have ten guns.

#30 Oct 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

We should also have flying cars, lunar vacations and anti-gravity boots.

You can say that America should ban guns all you want but, as a practical matter, that just isn't possible.

Board footer