You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 03, 2017 8:52 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Black Student Group Complains Too Many Caribbean Students

African Americans want to limit the number of African and Caribbean blacks who are allowed to attend Cornell.

We demand that Cornell Admissions to come up with a plan to actively increase the presence of underrepresented Black students on this campus. We define underrepresented Black students as Black Americans who have several generations (more than two) in this country.

The Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students. While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African Holocaust in America. Cornell must work to actively support students whose families have been impacted for generations by white supremacy and American fascism.

https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-conten … emands.pdf

#2 Oct 03, 2017 9:16 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Black Student Group Complains Too Many Caribbean Students

Real Distwalker wrote:

African Americans want to limit the number of African and Caribbean blacks who are allowed to attend Cornell.

We demand that Cornell Admissions to come up with a plan to actively increase the presence of underrepresented Black students on this campus. We define underrepresented Black students as Black Americans who have several generations (more than two) in this country.

The Black student population at Cornell disproportionately represents international or first-generation African or Caribbean students. While these students have a right to flourish at Cornell, there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African Holocaust in America. Cornell must work to actively support students whose families have been impacted for generations by white supremacy and American fascism.

https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-conten … emands.pdf

Sounds like our black/African hater.  Tell us something new.

#3 Oct 03, 2017 9:46 am

New Historian
Active

That doesn't surprise me one bit. This is what I thought of Black American students at UofM way back in 1973:

Like everywhere else in America, the University of Michigan was divided along racial lines, and never the twain would meet. It was most obvious at football games, where everybody of all colours loved their Michigan Wolverines. Somehow, all the black students would contrive to get tickets in one quadrant of the stadium, which would be solidly black; raising their fists to the Star Spangled Banner. Everybody seemed to know where to sit; you never saw a white face in the black quadrant, or vice versa. The only things the blacks and whites cheered together were the touchdowns.

As I was from “the islands” (a despised term), Black American students took me to their breast, inviting me to join the Black Students Organization, Caribbean Students Club, etc. I had white friends too, which used to piss off my black friends. They would call me jungle bunny – which no white person would ever dare do. I found the Blacks “more American than the Americans”; they’d tell me:

“You jungle bunnies from the islands just dyin’ for that green card, aincha?” Actually no I’m not – this is long enough!

White students would at least be willing to discuss America’s behavior as the world’s dominant superpower. Blacks weren’t interested in that crap, all they cared about was their own struggle. And they all had a huge chip on their shoulder; everything was down to race. I resisted being co-opted by the minority groups. Most of the help Blacks got was in the form of cash; the University threw money at the Black student organizations. And what did they do with it? They partied!

#4 Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

Real Distwalker
Active

These students demand the power of the university be used to tip the scale in their favor.   That's the way it is with government too.  The more powerful the government, the more power it has to tip the scale to its favored constituency.  At the extreme, the fight to control government becomes life and death.

#5 Oct 03, 2017 11:36 am

Slice
Active

So when ah keep saying, Black Americans are not Caribbean folks brothers and sister all ah allyu thought ah was DOTISH.
In almost all universities where there are a  number of folks from the Caribbean, they form the Caribbean students union.  Rd this post is not a surprise to me.   I knew that.

Black Americans hate our guts.

That kinda information should be given  to the press in every Caribbean country.

Ah want me PADNAH GMW to read this.

Last edited by Slice (Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am)

#6 Oct 03, 2017 11:45 am

Real Distwalker
Active

there is a lack of investment in Black students whose families were affected directly by the African Holocaust in America.

Like these tools don't realize there was slavery in the Caribbean too and, in some cases, a far more deadly variety.

#7 Oct 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Slice
Active

Sorry for saying that but ah learn ah long time ago, we caribbean folks living in these United states, the most dangerous enemy we have are African-Americans.

Me ah fraid them as cat fraid Holy water.  There are exceptions, but they ent easy.

My wife told me in her college, Caribbean students do not mix with African-Americans, My child lives in two world, but leaning American.  I prefer he learn his way, so all ah does tell him, is watch the company you keep.

Ah just hoping and praying, that one day he comes back.

#8 Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am

Calypso
Active

I posted a comment on this thread before but I didn't see it posted. I think it needs to be addressed.  Slice, I do not like your anti-Afro-American comments. It is dangerous and bias. I have so many Caribbean-born  teachers who have pushed their children and have encouraged them to go on to some of the best Ivy League colleges in the US. I have known Afro-American teachers who have done the same thing with  their children. Their existence in the US have been longer than ours and they need to get preference over us. I do not like the division between the two cultures. So many of them have tried to better themselves but was denied so many opportunities by the whites.  When you take a group of people and delineated them to housing projects all their lives and segregate them from main stream America, that is blatant racism. You give them Welfare but you don't create opportunities for them to compete with mainstream America. As Commie once mentioned, theirs was a racial struggle while ours was primarily an economic struggle. Caribbean peoples do not like hand- outs. It is something cultural. We will take on several jobs to make ends meet. Our dignity must always stay intact. Some of our off-springs become project dwellers and never up-lift themselves, continuing a cycle of poverty. A white woman whom I discussed this issue with told me that " it is better to give hand-outs than giving jobs." Poverty is a state of mind and if poor black people are pushed to live among themselves without seeing what success is like then they cannot dream of a better life. We, who were born in the Caribbean have seen a better life. We have seen blacks being successful and directing their own steps. The best black men I've ever encountered are the middle-class ones from the Caribbean not the low-lives.  If Afro-Americans strive to built themselves, give them the preference over us for they were here before us. Iman, David Bowie's wife, said once that she used to live in a posh building in Manhattan and not a soul said  anything. When a black-American moved in they caused such a fuss.  They deserved to live there for their existence in this country is much longer than us. It is their damned country too, Slice!

Board footer