You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am

New Historian
Active

Nigga-toes!!!

RD made me remember this episode that spoke volumes about race in America in 1973:

For spring break I drove from Ann Arbor down to Fayettesville in North Carolina with a friend called Mackial. He explained that he was supposed to be called Michael, but his parents were poor sharecroppers who couldn’t spell. We set out to do the journey in 36 hours; sleeping in turns on the back seat. Mackial said that we would be going into the heart of Dixie, it was only a few years ago that they had taken down the sign on the state border saying: “Welcome to North Carolina – Klan Country”

It was a long, hard drive. At one point in North Carolina we pulled into a truck stop at three o’clock in the morning, desperate for coffee and a crap. We parked among dozens of 18-wheeler trucks and headed for the door. Inside we heard a welcoming hubbub of conversation and country music. We entered the door.

The whole place went silent. A hundred redneck eyes turned in our direction, underneath baseball caps with John Deere and Caterpillar logos on them. Drinks froze halfway to lips; sentences went unfinished; laughs stifled – even the juke box seemed to stop. Mackial and I sidled up to the counter, trying not to make eye contact with a living soul in the place. The grizzled proprietor wiped his hands on his filthy apron and said quietly:

“What’n tarnation d’you boys want ‘nhere?”

“Er, two coffees please – to go!”

In Fayattesville I was waiting in line at an ice cream parlour; the woman in front had just bought her little girl an ice cream sundae, and the girl shouts out:

"Mommy mommy, I want nigga-toes on it!" Mommy didn't know where to put her face; she shushes the kid and whispers to the server:

"Can you please sprinkle some chocolate chips on that!”

#2 Oct 03, 2017 10:50 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Nigga-toes!!!

That's what old people called Brazil Nuts when I was very young.  We have come a long way since then.

#3 Oct 03, 2017 10:55 am

New Historian
Active

Eeny-meeny miney-mo.....

#4 Oct 03, 2017 10:56 am

Real Distwalker
Active

So very, very offensive.

#5 Oct 03, 2017 11:05 am

New Historian
Active

As kids we'd say that stuff ourselves! However nowadays especially in England we're going too far along the road to correctness, you can't say anything that might conceivably cause anyone any offence. Give me a break. Two opposing football players (I mean real football lol, the one you play with your feet) clash on the pitch, painfully. As they get up one growls "You black c*nt!" Someone on tv lip-reads him and he's pilloried, banned and fined. Not for the second word, for the adjective that preceded it. In cricket one ball that you sometimes bowl is called a Chinaman - it's a bit like a googly but different. The commentator says "That was a beautiful Chinaman" - he's also pilloried.

#6 Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

RD made me remember this episode that spoke volumes about race in America in 1973:

For spring break I drove from Ann Arbor down to Fayettesville in North Carolina with a friend called Mackial. He explained that he was supposed to be called Michael, but his parents were poor sharecroppers who couldn’t spell. We set out to do the journey in 36 hours; sleeping in turns on the back seat. Mackial said that we would be going into the heart of Dixie, it was only a few years ago that they had taken down the sign on the state border saying: “Welcome to North Carolina – Klan Country”

It was a long, hard drive. At one point in North Carolina we pulled into a truck stop at three o’clock in the morning, desperate for coffee and a crap. We parked among dozens of 18-wheeler trucks and headed for the door. Inside we heard a welcoming hubbub of conversation and country music. We entered the door.

The whole place went silent. A hundred redneck eyes turned in our direction, underneath baseball caps with John Deere and Caterpillar logos on them. Drinks froze halfway to lips; sentences went unfinished; laughs stifled – even the juke box seemed to stop. Mackial and I sidled up to the counter, trying not to make eye contact with a living soul in the place. The grizzled proprietor wiped his hands on his filthy apron and said quietly:

“What’n tarnation d’you boys want ‘nhere?”

“Er, two coffees please – to go

In Fayattesville I was waiting in line at an ice cream parlour; the woman in front had just bought her little girl an ice cream sundae, and the girl shouts out:

"Mommy mommy, I want nigga-toes on it!" Mommy didn't know where to put her face; she shushes the kid and whispers to the server:

"Can you please sprinkle some chocolate chips on that!”

Well New Historian . I don't know if to laugh or what . Thanks for sharing that traumatizing experience for a young Caribbean man in Klan Country.
Who can blame you for being confused  , now and then. lol

Lord, Jesus. 'nigga toes'
you lie .  lol.

#7 Oct 03, 2017 11:15 am

Slice
Active

Did that really happen to you?

My story,  (1) Under me rum one night, me and me Grenadian PADNAH walked in a bar that was not too far from where I reside.  As we enter the bar, the same thing happen to us, exactly what happened to you, heads turn and looking at us, as if we just came from Mars.  These guys was rough looking.  They look like bikers.  I ent lying, one look at theses' folks ah quickly sobered up and got to hell outa dodge.

Ah curse the sheet outa me PADNAH, wondering how the hell we got there.  All we know is we saw a bar and we wanted ah drink.

Story #2.  Me White PADNAH decided to invite me to his neighborhood, so we can have some fun.  We entered this one bar, and there was XXX showing on the TV.  The Bartender, pulled Larry to the side and said what the F56K you bring that [racist word] in here for?  Larry look at all his friends in the bar and said he is here with me.  Half the bar folks got up from their seat and left.

I am saying to meself, what kinda trouble this man put me in here tonight. I am thinking this WHITE BASTARD SET ME UP, they sure killing me black ass tonight.  I say Larry please take me home.  He said no, you with me f%%K them Rednecks.  Well papa is now ah fraid.  I end up staying until the bar closed at 2am.  That was the last time I decided to go to me PADNAH hood.

Kinda very interesting, me and the bartender became kinda friends, she got ah job at the place where I work.

My last story, Me and me family saw a car stuck on the side of the road, we all got out and try to help.  But we needed more bodies to push the car, after all it was showing. We ask for help as a few drivers pass by.  Three folks started to help, once they realize it was not me that is stuck, but the White driver, they all said to hell with his White ASs and they all left.  This was my first lesson in race relation in America.

#8 Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am

New Historian
Active

"My last story, Me and me family saw a car stuck on the side of the road, we all got out and try to help.  But we needed more bodies to push the car, after all it was showing. We ask for help as a few drivers pass by.  Three folks started to help, once they realize it was not me that is stuck, but the White driver, they all said to hell with his White ASs and they all left.  This was my first lesson in race relation in America."

It cuts both sides, like a double-edged machete. I never forget in a crowded bar when the first OJ verdict came out: one side cheered the other jeered. Guess which half was which?

#9 Oct 03, 2017 11:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

My wife and I recently saw a bumper sticker.  All it said was "Don't be a dick."  She and I agreed: Words to live by. 

Christ called us all to live as brothers and sisters and, by God, that's what we should be doing.

#10 Oct 03, 2017 11:32 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

My wife and I recently saw a bumper sticker.  All it said was "Don't be a dick."  She and I agreed: Words to live by. 

Christ called us all to live as brothers and sisters and, by God, that's what we should be doing.

Not sure if it was "He", but good words to live by!

Board footer