You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#21 Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Vegas gunman used add-on to make rifle almost automatic - NY Daily

"He could have done the same thing with two guns as with 42."

Rubbish. What if all he could legally own was ONE single-shot rifle? Not semi-automatic. He used several guns in the massacre, as one overheated he switched to another.

#22 Oct 04, 2017 11:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Let us imagine that all of those suggestions had been implemented... I cannot see how any would have prevented the Vegas shooter from doing his dirty deed.

#23 Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Rubbish. What if all he could legally own was ONE single-shot rifle? Not semi-automatic. He used several guns in the massacre, as one overheated he switched to another.

That's why I said he needed two.  For overheating. He only shot for 11 minutes.  Two would have been enough.

Yep, if he would have had only one single shot rifle it would have been much less nightmarish.  Also, Batman would have showed up and stopped him after the first shot, it would have been less nightmarish.  The latter is as realistic as the former.

There are hundreds of millions of rifles in the US.  There is no scenario in which a millionaire who wants to get rifles won't get them.  In fact, there is no scenario in which a suicidal maniac with a few thousand dollars won't get them.

You can fantasize about a world in which a suicidal maniac with lots of money can only get a single bolt action rifle but that is just pure silliness.

#24 Oct 04, 2017 11:26 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Suggest one, realistic change to gun laws that would have prevented what happened in Vegas.

He passed background checks.
He was a millionaire so he could get what he wanted.
A waiting period would do nothing.
He had no history of mental illness.
He had no criminal background.
He wasn't on the no-fly list.
He could have done the same thing with two guns as with 42.

What realistic change to gun laws last year would have prevented this from happening this year?

This specific case probably none. I did propose a State/County environment awareness control, but Nevada probably would have come within the wide open spaces State like Iowa, so the restrictions I proposed for an urban area wouldn't have come into play.

As we have already seen guns are not the only form of mass killing device. But generally they are more efficient at it.

I think he would have had two very cherry red barrels had he only utilised two weapons. He may have hit 500 odd people, but I bet he fired a lot more than 500 rounds. I have seen destruction testing of sundry firearms, and I don't think I would have wanted barrel droop mid burst.

#25 Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

He didn't hit 500 people.  Most of the injured were hurt by stampeding masses of people.   

I am confident two rifles would have worked at the rate of fire I saw.  Three for absolutely certain.  I have put a lot of lead down range as a machine gunner in the Army.

#26 Oct 04, 2017 11:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

#27 Oct 04, 2017 11:32 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"He could have done the same thing with two guns as with 42."

So you want to ban hunting?  Or outdoors activites. I sure as hell would want to go walkabout in Alaska with a single shot bolt action rifle thank you very much. You don't have to be actively hunting to need to despatch a critter bigger than you.

In the UK or Grenada the biggest predator might be a fox, boar.... still nasty, or a manicou. America/Canada hive more intimidating members of the food chain.

#28 Oct 04, 2017 11:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There is nothing that any government in the United States could do that would limit a person of means to one, single shot rifle.  Literally nothing.

Well, there is nothing that can be done that wouldn't amount to totalitarianism and unconstitutional house-to-house searches that would result in all out civil war.

There are tens of millions of these rifles in circulation.  Millions and millions will always be there.  Once a man decides that he is going to break the law that prohibits mass murder, breaking gun laws is meaningless.

#29 Oct 04, 2017 11:37 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

He didn't hit 500 people.  Most of the injured were hurt by stampeding masses of people.   

I am confident two rifles would have worked at the rate of fire I saw.  Three for absolutely certain.  I have put a lot of lead down range as a machine gunner in the Army.

So as shooters go he was a bit of a tosser then.  Obviously using a bump stock made his aiming pathetic. 9 plus minutes on full chat shooting fish in a barrel and he didn't hit 500.

That alone should kill the sales of the product, as hitting the objective is the prime purpose of having a weapon. Not spraying around it.

#30 Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am

Real Distwalker
Active

None of us know what was in the Vegas piece-of-shit's head, but it seems clear he wanted to kill a lot of people.  It is pretty hard for me to imagine a scenario in which he didn't. 

Let's imagine that New Historian's fairy god-mother made all the firearms in America disappear.  Would the POS have just lived a normal life in the absence of guns?   I very much doubt it.

He was a pilot and owned two planes.  The right Kamikaze mission would have been deadly.   He could have done like the Nice truck killer did and, perhaps gotten a bigger body count like the Tunisian did.   Reports are that he had ammonium nitrate in his car.  That's the stuff of the Timothy McVeigh OK City bomb.  If Iraq taught us anything, it is that you can kill hundreds with car bombs.

The bottom line is that the total absence of guns probably wouldn't have dissuaded this POS from doing his dirty deed.

For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Alep … ar_bombing

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Oct 04, 2017 11:49 am)

Board footer