You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 08, 2017 7:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Guns versus cars

In America, at any given time the government, Federal or local, can tell how many cars you own: you have to register them, insure them, pay an annual tax on them and have a licence to drive them. Cars are an essential piece of modern equipment and they are, for 99.9% of the miles they are driven, safe as houses.

In America, no government, no agency and no individual would ever have any idea of how many guns a person owns. You don't need a licence to own one, you don't need to register them or insure them. Guns are not an essential piece of equipment, guns kill and injure people a hundred times more than cars do, if you compare bullets fired to miles driven.

America now is no different to the Wild West, in fact with open carry of modern-day firepower, America is a lot more lethal than the Wild West.

Is that "evolving"?

#2 Oct 08, 2017 9:52 pm

houston
Active

Re: Guns versus cars

A question or few for RD.
Do vehicles in the US need to be safety certified in order to be on the road?
Are there checks and balances that police can easily check to determine the owner/operator of the vehicle?
With guns, is there a way of tracing who or how many arms an individual has amassed?
Are guns federally regulated, or do the laws vary from state to state?
Do vehicle regulations vary from state to state?

#3 Oct 08, 2017 10:04 pm

houston
Active

A question or few for RD.
Do vehicles in the US need to be safety certified in order to be on the road?
Are there checks and balances that police can easily check to determine the owner/operator of the vehicle?
With guns, is there a way of tracing who or how many arms an individual has amassed?
Are guns federally regulated, or do the laws vary from state to state?
Do vehicle regulations vary from state to state?

#4 Oct 08, 2017 10:09 pm

houston
Active

One more, the gun show events glorify the gun culture, do you really agree with that type of circus?

#5 Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

houston
Active

Could it be that an Iowan can not take a stand on a matter with out having to exit Iowa?
The United States is very partisan you know.

#6 Oct 09, 2017 8:36 am

Slice
Active

Well NH the deaths are about the same.  Here is what I think is the key difference,  Only three million Americans own guns, as compared to more than half the American population owns vehicles.

Another key difference is the state laws, they differ like crazy.  My state Maryland has one of the toughest Gun laws in America, but Virginia do not and so is West Virginia, both states border Maryland.  From where I reside I can be in West Virginia in 20 minutes and Virginia in 45 minutes.

I think I saw something this weekend that RD, doh never want to mention.  Two thirds of the 60,000 guns deaths in America are owner caused. So forget the street violence, the legal owners or not legal guns that are in homes cause more deaths than street violence.

http://www.vpc.org/regulating-the-gun-i … le-deaths/

#7 Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am

Slice
Active

houston wrote:

One more, the gun show events glorify the gun culture, do you really agree with that type of circus?

The Gun show I saw personally upfront and personal.

There was this Gun show that used to be held annually,in the place I work.  The owner was noting but ah racist.  He even called the woman in charge of the event for the Center ah [racist word], She refused to deal with him, so I had to play peacemaker.  For some reason me and this guy had ah kinda understanding, once he is in Center I took cars of all his needs.  No one, black or white wanted to deal with him,  They all knew he was ah racist, plus he stinks very very badly.

When his contract ended, on his very last day, he said how much he appreciated  all I did for him and left me a packet.  It was ah gun and $500.00.  The police was called and his money given back to him.  He never got in trouble for giving me the gun.  I really did not understand why, but the way he did it was completely legal.

#8 Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There is no Constitutional right to own a car.  The right to own guns in in the Bill of Rights.

There is no background check or licence required to own a car.  There is no insurance requirement to own a car.  There are no car inspections.  You can own as many cars as you want.  To operate the cars on public roadways, some of the above will apply.

About two-thirds of gun related deaths are suicide.  People use their own guns for suicide.  Take suicides out of the picture and gun deaths have been decreasing.  In other words, more guns does not mean more crime.  The gun crime rate has fallen even as more Americans than ever have acquired guns.

guns_per_person_vs._gun_homicide_rate_1993_to_2013_0.jpg

#9 Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am

Real Distwalker
Active

If you want to get a sense of where gun violence really exists, hit this link from the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 … &te=1&_r=0

#10 Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Slice
Active

So that  article points out City Gun violence.  No School shootings and no Gun violence in home. No accidental either.  So your reference can be very misleading.

Board footer