You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 12, 2017 7:44 am

Slice
Active

LETS TALK RACE.

In my short visits to Grenada, I notice something  that had me thinking, and ah keep asking meself ah bunch ah questions.  I met this 82 year Grenadian who is married to ah Englishman.  Ah mean that couple love Grenada.  Gosh she is real nice, and she and my wife is growing real close.

Then she introduce us to three other Grenadian and English family.  No expat was not one of them.

I know America is suppose to be less racial than Europe, but why so many European are married To Grenadians?

#2 Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: LETS TALK RACE.

Who ever claimed that the US is less racist than Europe?  I wouldn't make that argument.   I mean, is the US less racist than, say, Russia?  Well, yeah.  I'd say for sure.   Is it less racist than France or Britain?  I wouldn't make that argument at all.

#3 Oct 12, 2017 9:17 am

Slice
Active

They say  there ent no way in the world that Obama, could of been president anyway in Europe.  Maybe things have change for the last 9 years or so, me ent know.

#4 Oct 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Vanni
Active

Slice wrote:

In my short visits to Grenada, I notice something  that had me thinking, and ah keep asking meself ah bunch ah questions.  I met this 82 year Grenadian who is married to ah Englishman.  Ah mean that couple love Grenada.  Gosh she is real nice, and she and my wife is growing real close.

Then she introduce us to three other Grenadian and English family.  No expat was not one of them.

I know America is suppose to be less racial than Europe, but why so many European are married To Grenadians?

As far as I know, quite a lot of Grenadians, due to historical links with England, would spend some time over there. And maybe it happens at this opportunity?

As long as there is mutual love and respect in the relationship, I think that it is natural for two people to be together, regardless of race.

#5 Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

They say  there ent no way in the world that Obama, could of been president anyway in Europe.  Maybe things have change for the last 9 years or so, me ent know.

Black populations in America and Europe historically are like chalk and cheese.

While limited numbers of Black people haver been in Europe since the middle ages, there was no LARGE quantaty of Black citizense resident in Europe until shortlly after I was born. Unlike America where obviously there were Slaves, but even during that period there were freed Blackmen who were cowboys and businessmen, or simply paid workers. Finally due to the race riots etc the Black man in America.... already resident .... was able to participate in both business, and politics.

Not so in Europe. The vast majority of Black people in Europe are maybe 2nd generation, with young 3rd generation who are now fully integrated, and able to participate in education and business opportunities as any other Brit, Frenchman, or German.

Apart from entrepenours who create tyheir own ladder, most people have to excell, or be recognised by their peers and employers as meritworthy. Big business so often is held together by the old school netwoork, which until recently the Black people didn't attend. So their exclusion from higher posts would not simply have been due to racism, as much as not having the right contacts.

Similar issues exist within politics.... combined with you need an electorate to vote for you. There are Black people in politics, some have got into some very senior positions, Lord Mayor of London for one. But it is hard enough for a White man or Woman to be chosen to be a Party Leader, with all those white candidateswho will not be chosen... how much harder for a Black face to suddenly gazzump the stack.

The day IS coming, but it has to be on both merit, and electability. You don't just get to be Prime Minister because Slice thinks it should happen.

Board footer