You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Oct 15, 2017 12:27 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Our annual infestation: cruise ships

"The Tourist shops are selling mostly generic gifts with printed made in Grenada labels that on the previous visit said made in St Lucia, and they can be rubbed off with ease."

I have a Grenada mug with a scene that resembles the White Cliffs of Dover! When will we realize that the boring, cookie-cutter "souvenirs that we peddle are exactly the OPPOSITE of what they want, what would make them go: oh, how interesting!

In my short career as a small tourism operator, I learned the hard way the challenges facing SMEs: the summer DEAD season, you have to have US$2 million in third party liability insurance, in case anything should happen to the precious cruise ship passengers, the fact that the cruise ship DOUBLES the price you charge them per passenger, and the fickle nature of the business lol! On bad weather days you die, which happens a lot during cruise ship season. And if the sea is kicking up, ditto. And finally, the cheap-ass tourists lol! You see them with bags of sandwiches they've scarfed from the breakfast buffet! Want to haggle and chisel you down all the frigging time. When I'm in England do I haggle in Waitrose? Why they feel they can always beat the locals down in price? It's kinda racist is what. In fact not kinda.

#12 Oct 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"The Tourist shops are selling mostly generic gifts with printed made in Grenada labels that on the previous visit said made in St Lucia, and they can be rubbed off with ease."

I have a Grenada mug with a scene that resembles the White Cliffs of Dover! When will we realize that the boring, cookie-cutter "souvenirs that we peddle are exactly the OPPOSITE of what they want, what would make them go: oh, how interesting!

In my short career as a small tourism operator, I learned the hard way the challenges facing SMEs: the summer DEAD season, you have to have US$2 million in third party liability insurance, in case anything should happen to the precious cruise ship passengers, the fact that the cruise ship DOUBLES the price you charge them per passenger, and the fickle nature of the business lol! On bad weather days you die, which happens a lot during cruise ship season. And if the sea is kicking up, ditto. And finally, the cheap-ass tourists lol! You see them with bags of sandwiches they've scarfed from the breakfast buffet! Want to haggle and chisel you down all the frigging time. When I'm in England do I haggle in Waitrose? Why they feel they can always beat the locals down in price? It's kinda racist is what. In fact not kinda.

Probably they learned to haggle in a souk on their previous holiday.... smile

#13 Oct 16, 2017 11:45 am

New Historian
Active

Souk? Like the lady in the vendors' market would say: dem can go an souk dey mama lol!

Board footer