You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am

Dancer
Active

Tired Of Seeing Fat people Touting Fatness.

NBC... news

America's weight crisis reaches record high.
A troubling   new   report  released  from the Center for Disease control  and prevention  SHOWS
40% of American adults and 205 of adolescents are obese - the highest rate  recorded in the USA.

But not only the USA , in the Caribbean , once  ,  nearly every one was slim , now big-mamas and papas dot the landscape. Kids not far behind.
I saw this woman ,  she had to be as big as the JA , 200, 250 lbs going into a KFC,  I said out of the corner of my mouth , " you should not be going in there "
She gave me a cut-eye.   lol.

Another thing  , fat people , posting pics , claiming they look so hot and newspaper , Facebook  and    fashion  mags  - -   following suit.
Pleeeeeessse.

#2 Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Tired Of Seeing Fat people Touting Fatness.

Exactly, and you can't "fat shame" people because that's against their human rights. Rubbish, obesity is a national health concern, when all those porkers get heart conditions and diabetes they place a burden on the health system.

Get off that couch and EXERCISE!!

#3 Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am

Slice
Active

Lord ah doh know how to tackle this one.  leh me say my piece anyway,  So, you guys are discriminating against Fat folks. Like drugs Fat could be ah disease.  I know ah know, sometimes ah does say to meself, if you stop eating all dat sheet, you won't be that fat, but ah think in some cases it is really ah disease.

Leh me get outa this, not ah area, ah know much about.  It just seem doh seem right that the both ah allyu saying all that bad things about Fat folks.

#4 Oct 13, 2017 4:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Hear the latest: "Fat and fit"! If ever there was an oxymoron....

#5 Oct 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Expat
Active

There were no fat people in Belson or Biafra.

Fatness is almost always a self caused problem. Some may have a genetic leaning towards it. But I think for the most part it is conditioning by association within families.

The trouble is nowadays most people go to work/school, and then return to sit at a desk or couch and do computer work, play video games, or watch TV/Films.

Weight is a balance between food in and exercise out.

Certain members of my extended family said I looked ill the last time I was in the UK because I was so thin.... I have a perfect BMI reading, so you can only assune they are waddling around like pregnant elephants to feel they are just right... no?

I was 3 stones heavier when I was living in the UK because I was either driving as part of my job, or doing adminastative work also as part of my job.... Very sedentary. Now I clean yard... not often enough for wifey... smile Cut down trees, hew boulders, do endless chores including weedeating, maintaining land, picking crops etc etc. I am almost the same weight I was 50 years ago.

Weight gain is pernicious, as for many they eat just a tiny bit too much, but for their early years they burn it off.... as you get older many do not go to the gym or exercise, or have the physical workload like I do, so day by day month by moth they put on just a little bit of weight..... UNTIL.... they figure it is a lost battle, and then its jumbo time.

When as I start to be less able to do heavy chores, and the time is not that far off, I shall reduce my food intake. Simples.

#6 Oct 13, 2017 8:05 pm

New Historian
Active

"Hew boulders"??

But you right, people tell me I'm thin but I'm not, I'm just not chunky. Chunky is the new normal and we pay the price.

#7 Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Hew boulders"??

But you right, people tell me I'm thin but I'm not, I'm just not chunky. Chunky is the new normal and we pay the price.

Did I not say, I am serving 10 to life with hard labour.... LoL.

A point I think worth making is that from the 60s onwards we had a "twiggy" culture, which may have been overplayed, but did at least keep people from thinking it was ok to ram several platefuls of food into their mouths at a sitting.

Then the PC brigade got going, and we had to stop being fattist, and it was OK to be curvilicios, and now partly due to all the sugary addatives made from corn by products, and this fat is ok mentality we are surrounded by lard arses.

The WW2 and just after generation in Europe where times were hard were some of the healthiest times as far as weight control is concerned. There was not plenty for most people. Wages were low, food was not availible to the point of abundance, we didn't have food regardless of season that we do now. Not to mention no McDee, Wendys, KFC, Burger King, Pitza Hut etc etc.

#8 Oct 14, 2017 3:17 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

"Hew boulders"??

Did I not say, I am serving 10 to life with hard labour.... LoL.

A point I think worth making is that from the 60s onwards we had a "twiggy" culture, which may have been overplayed, but did at least keep people from thinking it was ok to ram several platefuls of food into their mouths at a sitting.

Then the PC brigade got going, and we had to stop being fattist, and it was OK to be curvilicios, and now partly due to all the sugary addatives made from corn by products, and this fat is ok mentality we are surrounded by lard arses.

The WW2 and just after generation in Europe where times were hard were some of the healthiest times as far as weight control is concerned. There was not plenty for most people. Wages were low, food was not availible to the point of abundance, we didn't have food regardless of season that we do now. Not to mention no McDee, Wendys, KFC, Burger King, Pitza Hut etc etc.

Also today's busy, fast pace of lifestyle make it difficult for 3 healthy squares a day at the proper times.
Kids in school, both parents working long days...nutritional home cooking is rare.
Instead, an easy factory made meal loaded with fats and sodium goes into the microwave. Gone are the days of hot porridge in the morning, a healthy lunch at noon and dinner at 5 or 6. Maybe some popcorn for an evening snack.
People go hungry all day long, then binge eat on junk when they get the chance. They end the day with more junk for a late night supper and go to bed with a full belly. The body is unforgiving for abuse like that.

#9 Oct 15, 2017 6:04 am

Vanni
Active

Expat wrote:

There were no fat people in Belson or Biafra.

Fatness is almost always a self caused problem. Some may have a genetic leaning towards it. But I think for the most part it is conditioning by association within families.

The trouble is nowadays most people go to work/school, and then return to sit at a desk or couch and do computer work, play video games, or watch TV/Films.

Weight is a balance between food in and exercise out.

Certain members of my extended family said I looked ill the last time I was in the UK because I was so thin.... I have a perfect BMI reading, so you can only assune they are waddling around like pregnant elephants to feel they are just right... no?

I was 3 stones heavier when I was living in the UK because I was either driving as part of my job, or doing adminastative work also as part of my job.... Very sedentary. Now I clean yard... not often enough for wifey... smile Cut down trees, hew boulders, do endless chores including weedeating, maintaining land, picking crops etc etc. I am almost the same weight I was 50 years ago.

Weight gain is pernicious, as for many they eat just a tiny bit too much, but for their early years they burn it off.... as you get older many do not go to the gym or exercise, or have the physical workload like I do, so day by day month by moth they put on just a little bit of weight..... UNTIL.... they figure it is a lost battle, and then its jumbo time.

When as I start to be less able to do heavy chores, and the time is not that far off, I shall reduce my food intake. Simples.

Some populations are so lean, and, when checking their diet & life habits, it's difficult to accuse genetics. While keep overeating, preferably fatty and sweet food and not seeing where the problem is coming from. I am no expert in genetics, so I leave a space for some of it to be involved, but all in all, diet and movement are key to any healthy weight - whether finding it back from overweight or whether keeping it so to never become overweight.

And exercise does not need to be extreme. Besides walking and swimming, for example, there are dance workouts, or slow movements magnified in their effect as we accompany them with our awareness, like QiGong, Taichi, Yoga and others.

Weight gain happens over years of unhealthy habits. For example, I have seen a documentary about expat Germans in America: all mentioned the huge portions & the always fatty food (though go to some regions of Germany, where huge portions of sausages combined with beer & others make them soon look like their own beer barrels): there are simple ways, best given as a habit since earliest childhood to form our taste for light and humble food, for movement, and to stay healthy and lean.

Last edited by Vanni (Oct 15, 2017 12:24 pm)

Board footer