You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am

New Historian
Active

Near miss over Botswana

It was an Air Botswana flight from Gaborone to Johannesburg, on one of their ATR turbo-prop aircraft. The weather was bad; we had been under heavy cloud cover from the minute we took off. The seat belt sign remained on and all in-flight services were cancelled, everyone nervous but trying not to show it. It was a bumpy ride, every now and then we’d hit a big dipper that would make your stomach go ooh.

I was sitting at a right side window seat, idly looking out into the grey clouds, almost zero visibility. All of the sudden the plane lurched upwards and right at that moment, a jet plane of some description passed at right angles, just a few hundred feet below us; so close I could read the aircraft number on the tail wing. That was close! I tapped the shoulder of the passenger in front and asked if he had seen that.

“Yes, I fuckingwell did!” came the startled reply. A little while later the captain made an announcement:

“Ah, for those of you on the right side of the plane who may have just witnessed that other aircraft, there’s nothing to worry about, the other plane was at least five hundred feet beneath us.”

Five hundred feet? That’s not much, we could drop that much in one of those dips! When we filed off the plane at Joburg the pilot looked a bit sheepish as he wished us well - and got a few earfuls in return!

#2 Jan 17, 2018 7:51 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Near miss over Botswana

New Historian might be flying again. Can we expect more drama soon. Planes , jeeps , Scooners.
What can we expect next , falling off a hiking trail  in the Blue mountains and landing in a fresh water pond.

#3 Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

New Historian
Active

The other night I slid off my bike - does that count? Having had a clean record for 25 years, I was sooo pissed to have put the bike down! But the weirdest thing is: I can't remember the actual crash - don't know exactly where it happened! I remember sliding on a wet corner, and that feeling in your gut of WHOA! And after that, the next thing I remember is riding into my gate going "SHIT! OUCH!" Friend of mine said the same thing happened to him too! Bike all fixed up now, me nearly!

20170917_175106.jpg

#4 Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Dancer
Active

Still alive ,  little cuts and bruises , no broken bones..... cool.

To be honest , the first thing that came to mind was .....

" Alzheimer's while riding "
lmao.
lol.

#5 Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm

New Historian
Active

"You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding."

#6 Jan 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

The other night I slid off my bike - does that count? Having had a clean record for 25 years, I was sooo pissed to have put the bike down! But the weirdest thing is: I can't remember the actual crash - don't know exactly where it happened! I remember sliding on a wet corner, and that feeling in your gut of WHOA! And after that, the next thing I remember is riding into my gate going "SHIT! OUCH!" Friend of mine said the same thing happened to him too! Bike all fixed up now, me nearly!

https://s10.postimg.org/71u7wchol/20170917_175106.jpg

Yeah, but not the brain box. This is at least the second re-post of tales from NH. We the people demand fresh material.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 17, 2018 9:36 pm)

#7 Jan 17, 2018 11:16 pm

New Historian
Active

Rah man, give an old guy a break, okay, okay, fresh tales of misadventure, coming right up.

#8 Jan 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Dancer
Active

New Historian  .... it slipped my mind  a couple of times  to say , you have not exploited your going to a zillion countries and refusing to share your personal  insights of different countries  with TS .  # 1 poster. SMH.
LIKE Botswana .
I had to do all the reading , where it was , who lived there , rich or poor and what type of Country and Govt it had . sad.

Anyhow Botswana , seemed to be holding its own .  Commonwealth Country too.

#9 Jan 18, 2018 11:27 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes Botswana certainly is holding its own - and then some. They have so much in foreign exchange reserves - US$7.7 billion at last count - that they lend TO the World Bank! The best thing that happened to the former Kingdom of Bechuanaland is that they discovered diamonds in abundance under the Kalahari desert - one year after the British left! They've harvested their natural wealth very well, and have a history of political pragmatism - their presidents actually RESIGN from office! Watch a great Netflix movie "United Kingdom", about a politically charged love affair, touching and true.

Board footer