You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Oct 19, 2017 8:27 am

New Historian
Active

Chinese Museum Pulls Photo Exhibit Comparing Black People to Animals

#2 Oct 19, 2017 10:37 am

Slice
Active

Re: Chinese Museum Pulls Photo Exhibit Comparing Black People to Animals

Very interesting. Now this is just me.  It is a  disgrace with the other animals, but ah really doh mind the monkeys. You see they are my family.  I believe we all started as monkeys, so no disrespect for me.

I do not believe that we are descendants of Adam and Eve, but rather monkeys.

#3 Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

New Historian
Active

Agreed, and you can make photo comparisons of any race of people with primates. But ... we know those Chinese!

#4 Oct 20, 2017 3:00 am

Vanni
Active

How utterly clumsy! Even if it would have been photos of all races, including their own, we may have talked about it again, and still wondered what the motivation was behind it & how much artistic it is at all.

And if it would be purely joking: times are not (yet) at such jokes. We first need to heal the racial wounds. Then, we may argue about joking: if it depreciates someone, it's not humour. It's sick. Period.

The animals themselves are full of dignity. It's the association of ideas that possibly isn't, in this case.

The word art is so misused and disfigured nowadays! Confusing what is very inartistic therapy and release, mistaken / missold for art.

Whenever someone does something on paper for therapeutic reasons, or simply play with self expression without in fact any artistic content whatsoever: does it need to get shared with others? Best not. When I snot into a rag, am I exposing it in a gallery? I may be relieved, but you know the best? People would run and pay to see it tongue

And so, in art, mediocrity reigns.

There are way better and more uplifting things to do, if we really care for art.

How about dignifying each other at last? We are all brothers and sisters. We are all raceless eternal immortal souls temporarily animating a mortal human body appearing to live only exactly as long as we inhabit it: the very moment we leave our body, it drops to the ground and decays. And we, as eternal Beings, continue our journey of Life.

And we think we have a right - or rather we fall into the trap of associating a race with a soul, for the bad reasons. For the good reasons, it would simply be to consider that this physical body and race is one of the beautiful temporary expressions of the soul inhabiting it smile

Last edited by Vanni (Oct 20, 2017 4:04 am)

#5 Oct 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Expat
Active

I could see plenty wanting to be offended.

It may have been clumsy or gauche, but it did seem to be a feature on "AFRICA" utilizing animals and caricature faces of tribesmen. A juxtaposition. It wasn't initiated by the photographer, it was by the curator.

We are ever conscious that an insult can be intended. I don't think it was. I have seen similar images with other races often meant as fun this seemed not to be to be to laugh at those tribesmen.

#6 Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

New Historian
Active

"to be to be to be to be to..." Well you did make me laugh lol!

#7 Oct 20, 2017 6:17 pm

Calypso
Active

The exhibition was very racial insensitive and was done deliberately. This is just one in many instances where the Chinese have geared some racially deprecating things  towards people of African descent. Governments must intervene  in a way that will cause those slant-eyed curs them serious repercussions.

https://qz.com/945053/china-has-an-irra … -marriage/

Last edited by Calypso (Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm)

#8 Oct 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

The exhibition was very racial insensitive and was done deliberately. This is just one in many instances where the Chinese have geared some racially deprecating things  towards people of African descent. Governments must intervene  in a way that will cause those slant-eyed curs them serious repercussions.

Had the exhibition been been juxtaposing Africans with all the monkey/ape species in Africa then I would agree with you, but it was various sundry animals from Lion, Giraff, etc etc.

We had this same overstated PC about people being made to feel guilty for being fat. Now these lardy arses don't have to feel guilty they are morbidly obese. You of the overly righteous brigade need reigning in.

#9 Oct 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Had the exhibition been been juxtaposing Africans with all the monkey/ape species in Africa then I would agree with you, but it was various sundry animals from Lion, Giraff, etc etc.

We had this same overstated PC about people being made to feel guilty for being fat. Now these lardy arses don't have to feel guilty they are morbidly obese. You of the overly righteous brigade need reigning in.

Mr. Piggy is at it again. It is indeed racial. The Chinese should have known that Africans are affiliated with looking like monkeys and other animals on the plains of the continent. Any associations between Africans and such creatures  will be seen as insensitive. China and the Asian block have an historical aversion with dark skin-- which is linked to poverty and other unattractiveness. They like white skin. Asian women would prefer a white man over their own kind-- which is a form of self-hate. There is this stinky white man in my community. He owns two large and exotic tropical birds. He couldn't get any woman until he found an Asian one. He's scruffy and has deplorable hygiene. I can't conceive the both of them in bed together. She must love the stink!!!

#10 Oct 23, 2017 6:47 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

But she called them Slant eyes fools.  I would say she is no better than them, that is if the Chinese intent was to be racial.

Board footer