You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Oct 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Expat
Active

Re: I love Africa; but SOME things are just DARK!!!

New Historian wrote:

I guess the old camp fires don't give you the same night sky pollution... Only leg pulling.

#12 Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

gripe
Active

New Historian, why can't you accept that you overreached with your caption? Instead, you place the responsibility on me, as #45 does when he is shown his errors, to "Lighten up." (Admittedly, you did so with less outrage than #45 uses on his perceived enemies.)

You though, seem to have given your missive some more balanced thought with your last statement about Africa being dark as in, I assume,  having problems with electricity. Who can argue with that fact? But if that is how you wished to express your frustrations with Africa, why not do so in your first statement/caption and simply point out that Africa's problems, economic and otherwise, are FRUSTRATING!!!? (You could have added even more exclamation marks!!!!!!!)

You know that words have meaning and that sensibilities are rubbed and inflamed based on what people say and write. Unfortunately, your refusal to accept that you went too far with your label (note your emphasis "DARK!!!") is yours to deal with.

#13 Oct 22, 2017 1:24 pm

New Historian
Active

If I had used bland, non-offensive PC words, it wouldn't have generated so much discussion, would it? And I stand by my choice of words. What are words? It's time for us to take the sting out of these stale words that constrict us. Like [racist word], "the N-word" oh friggin please! In England people will say: that's darkers mate, meaning: uninformed, ignorant. They'll also say: I don't give a monkey's uncle, there's nothing racial about that statement at all. Who invented African American? Why couldn't we stop at Black?

#14 Oct 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

If I had used bland, non-offensive PC words, it wouldn't have generated so much discussion, would it? And I stand by my choice of words. What are words? It's time for us to take the sting out of these stale words that constrict us. Like [racist word], "the N-word" oh friggin please! In England people will say: that's darkers mate, meaning: uninformed, ignorant. They'll also say: I don't give a monkey's uncle, there's nothing racial about that statement at all. Who invented African American? Why couldn't we stop at Black?

"The terms "NEGRO" is  still fine with me!

#15 Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Dancer
Active

gripe wrote:

New Historian, why can't you accept that you overreached with your caption? Instead, you place the responsibility on me, as #45 does when he is shown his errors, to "Lighten up." (Admittedly, you did so with less outrage than #45 uses on his perceived enemies.)

You though, seem to have given your missive some more balanced thought with your last statement about Africa being dark as in, I assume,  having problems with electricity. Who can argue with that fact? But if that is how you wished to express your frustrations with Africa, why not do so in your first statement/caption and simply point out that Africa's problems, economic and otherwise, are FRUSTRATING!!!? (You could have added even more exclamation marks!!!!!!!)

You know that words have meaning and that sensibilities are rubbed and inflamed based on what people say and write. Unfortunately, your refusal to accept that you went too far with your label (note your emphasis "DARK!!!") is yours to deal with.

Gripe  ,  New Historian  likes to play with words   (but )   I am with you  drawing his attention  to the use of words . One can't be running around shooting  , their mouth - off - willy nilly .  That is war . Look around .

#16 Oct 22, 2017 3:29 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Got me looking at some night time satellite images. Interesting to see where the populations are, judging by the lights.
Europe and the eastern U.S are lit up like Christmas trees. Africa is nearly as dark as Canada.

#17 Oct 22, 2017 4:10 pm

New Historian
Active

Paul Mooney: brilliant!!!

#18 Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Paul Mooney: brilliant!!!

I fail to see the humour when comics expect a laugh from material based on racism, not funny.
Racism is every where, not hard to find. A mirror is always nearby.

#19 Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Again: "lighten up" (it's called a pun). In the Caribbean we're not so all wound up over race as in the States. Ah we run tings, tings no run we.

#20 Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Again: "lighten up" (it's called a pun). In the Caribbean we're not so all wound up over race as in the States. Ah we run tings, tings no run we.

Actually yeah, it was quite funny. Paul Mooney has some thick skin, just makes me cringe to hear that type of talk.

Board footer