You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Oct 25, 2017 8:20 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: A Ranger describes his day: October 25, 1983

They weren't angry at you, they were just doing their jobs and shooting you lol!

I'm sure you've read my friend Roger Byer's excellent book - a best seller in the Vietnam memoirs genre!

https://www.amazon.com/Tattooed-Memorie … 1492774375

#12 Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have not read that.  I will add it to the reading list.

#13 Oct 25, 2017 8:54 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

They weren't angry at you, they were just doing their jobs and shooting you lol!

Well, they seemed pissed. smile

#14 Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

New Historian
Active

As you would be in Iowa.

#15 Oct 26, 2017 7:09 am

Slice
Active

Well you know I know,  your story, but how did you really feel being around all those black folk?  Was this the first time you been out of America?  Were you tempted to shoot any Grenadian that came close to you?  When did you realize that Grenadians are a very peaceful people?

Was that the visit you went crazy and just pick up some Grenadians and went to the Rum Shop?  I still think you are mad for doing that, but I guess you were feeling comfortable.

#16 Oct 26, 2017 7:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I had been to Canada but, other than that, it was the first time I was out of America.  I was never tempted to shoot anyone that wasn't shooting at me.  Most everyone was pretty friendly and peaceful.  I don't know when I figured that out.  I had to be careful, however.  There were rumours that the hardcore RMC supporters had gone to ground and were going to start an insurgency.  Clearly that didn't happen but we didn't know.  I had my guard up.   Even when I was back in the spring of 1984 we weren't supposed to travel alone at night.

Nah, the time I picked up the hitchhiker and took him to the rum shop for drinks was many years later.  It was 2002.   I had a good time that night.

#17 Oct 26, 2017 8:18 am

Slice
Active

yep and you are still nuts for picking him up.  In ah kinda funny way, they expect you to pick them up.  I drove past a young lady one time, in a heavily wooded dark area, and did not pick her up.  She caught up with me a little bit ahead, because I was visiting someone close to her house, boy did she curse me out, when I said hello to her.  She made it clear, that I should have stopped and gave her a ride.  As they say only in Grenada.

#18 Oct 26, 2017 8:40 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I like to pick up hitchhikers in Grenada.  I can't think of a better way to meet people.

#19 Oct 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Expat
Active

Well your car would always be full, there are nuff nuff people poping a ride.

#20 Oct 27, 2017 7:39 am

Slice
Active

I ent picking up no man.  they could flag as much as they want, I ent picking them up. I am from America and ah still ah bit skeptical.

Board footer