You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 15, 2017 11:38 am

Calypso
Active

Reparations: Will the Caribbean be as Successful as the Jews?

Some Caribbean governments have been demanding reparations for the inhumane treatments done to black diaspora in the region. Our ancestors were brought there as slaves to work the plantations under terrible conditions. After the fight against slavery, many laws instituted were not enforced. Slavery  was abolished in name only. As a result, the depraved conditions given to the peoples of African descent caused social and economic stagnation.  Should we get reparations for that? Holocaust  survivors got money from both the Germans and the French.  In my opinion, the Caribbean government should ask for debt reduction so that the nations could progress faster without having to pay back a loan.

http://www.caribbean360.com/news/britis … f-39491397

#2 Nov 15, 2017 12:35 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Reparations: Will the Caribbean be as Successful as the Jews?

Oh gawd don't get me started on this one. "My visit here is not to look back in history, but to help chart an even richer association between Britain and Jamaica". Cameron had the gall to say the same thing in Jamaica last year, before his ignominious exit. Well you know what I say to them and their ilk? F*CK YOU! The damn nerve, Cameron's family fortune is founded on slavery, and the millions of pounds in today's money that his grandpappy received upon the abolishment of slavery, for the loss of his "property". Meanwhile his ex-"property" were unceremoniously booted off the plantations to fend for themselves. Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and London were ALL built on the profits of slavery, why do you think all those colonial powers went to war, over tiny specs in the Caribbean like Grenada?

I don't want money reparations. I want schools reparations, hospital reparations, social services reparations, roads reparations...

A people's current condition is a direct result of its past.

#3 Nov 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Oh gawd don't get me started on this one. "My visit here is not to look back in history, but to help chart an even richer association between Britain and Jamaica". Cameron had the gall to say the same thing in Jamaica last year, before his ignominious exit. Well you know what I say to them and their ilk? F*CK YOU! The damn nerve, Cameron's family fortune is founded on slavery, and the millions of pounds in today's money that his grandpappy received upon the abolishment of slavery, for the loss of his "property". Meanwhile his ex-"property" were unceremoniously booted off the plantations to fend for themselves. Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and London were ALL built on the profits of slavery, why do you think all those colonial powers went to war, over tiny specs in the Caribbean like Grenada?

I don't want money reparations. I want schools reparations, hospital reparations, social services reparations, roads reparations...

I want debt forgiveness reparations, so we could build our nation instead of paying back loans,

#4 Nov 15, 2017 12:51 pm

New Historian
Active

"I want debt forgiveness reparations, so we could build our nation instead of paying back loans"

That too!

#5 Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

"I want debt forgiveness reparations, so we could build our nation instead of paying back loans"

That too!

Look! 70 trillion dollars couldn't   pay back fully for the severe damages caused by slavery and racial discrimination. As I mentioned, it stagnated the progress of the African race.

#6 Nov 15, 2017 2:22 pm

Slice
Active

So you and Donald Trump did the same thing,  This was recently posted by you, and now you post it again.  Ok, time to see allyu doctor.

#7 Nov 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

After your remarks I ent adding ah ting.  Nicely done NH.

#8 Nov 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:
New Historian wrote:

After your remarks I ent adding ah ting.  Nicely done NH.

The past of a people determines their future. I do not live in the past. The Jew fought hard to get money from the Germans and French, England now has to  give us back  something in return. They took a lot from us. Shallow minds will not see the truth.

#9 Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Expat
Active

I think if you knew a little bit more and shouted a little bit less you might know that there has been a long history of loans/grants/debt forgiveness already.

Simply because "we the people" do not hear everything that is going on, does not mean it does not, and has not been happening.

One quick and simple search raised this:-  https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-a … astructure

I am pretty sure there is plenty more where that came from in different forms and methods over the years, and undoubtedly plenty that was done before electronic data collection.

I guess it depends on how full the briefcase is as to whether it spills out into the public arena.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 16, 2017 3:17 pm)

#10 Nov 16, 2017 4:41 pm

New Historian
Active

Oh please, Cameron's going away present to the Caribbean, given at the same time he told the Jamaican parliament that they should forget about slavery and "move on". Yes it's easy for him to move on, the UK government gave his grandpappy billions to ease him on his way, meanwhile Jamaica still bears the social and psychological scars of the dehumanizing experience of slavery.

Half UK's "aid" goes on consultants, most of whom just happened to be - you guessed it, British. Grenada is set to "receive" US$40 million from Cameron's "gift", well that's certainly an improvement on how much UK gave Grenada in the preceding 10 years, which amounts to one fat zilch. Oh no I tell a lie sorry, in 2016 UK gave Grenada the grand total of .... 300,000 pounds. Wow! Don't spend it all at once guys! Yes massa, thank you suh!

In 2016 the UK gave the Caribbean 41.7 million pounds in aid (ODA), down from 57 million in 2013. Of that 41.7 million "aid", 28.5 went to Montserrat, which technically isn't "overseas aid", is it, because it's theirs: a colony. So for the "free" Caribbean, UK ODA was all of 13 million pounds in 2016.

And how much did the UK plunder from the Caribbean during slavery again? How many untold billions, that built up Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and London? Oh please, don't make me vomit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … -2017b.pdf

Caribbean_UK_ODA.jpg

Board footer