You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#21 Nov 18, 2017 8:19 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Reparations: Will the Caribbean be as Successful as the Jews?

New Historian wrote:

Calypso if you could quantify the economic cost of crime in Jamaica, you'd cry! Jamaica could be doing SO MUCH better, but remains trapped in the cycle of Persistent Poverty (a great book by my old Econ lecturer George Beckford - G-Beck).

Expat Grenada must be pretty idyllic, because thousands of people like you and me seem to end up staying there, despite all the frustrations lol! You're right, I firmly believe that if you gave every Grenadian in Grenada a green card, most of them wouldn't take it - or if they did, they'd be back in Grenada before 2 years was out lol! And don't fool yourself: Britain's "aid" to the Caribbean is there, but it is hardly significant or transformative; not like the negative transformatory effects of 400 years of slavery has been.

Are you kidding me New Historian ?
>> If you gave every Grenadian a Green Card , most would not take it <<
Not from where I have been seeing. lol.

#22 Nov 18, 2017 9:20 am

Expat
Active

One major failing is the politicising of Local Bureaucratic posts.

This creates instability, and a see saw action after every election.

If you are hospital administrator you should be employed because of ability, not how close you are to the PM. This applies to many posts.

I firmly believe the British system where "Civil Servants" are basically non political, and can and do work for which ever party holds the reigns without favour. The Secretary for which ever department is political, but not the employees. Likewise the police are non political.

The American system where all and sundry are elected, is crap, and a complete waste of money, as is the tortuous election process.

#23 Nov 18, 2017 9:27 am

New Historian
Active

"I firmly believe the British system where "Civil Servants" are basically non political, and can and do work for which ever party holds the reigns without favour. The Secretary for which ever department is political, but not the employees. Likewise the police are non political."

Dream on. Political parties tamper with the CC, they just do it with a bit more subtelty than Grenada.

#24 Nov 18, 2017 4:19 pm

New Historian
Active

#25 Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Expat
Active

>>The Secretary for which ever department is political, but not the employees.<<

Nah, That's POLITICIANS as in Government creating policy. Once it is formulated the Civil Servants do what they are told.

#26 Nov 18, 2017 6:17 pm

New Historian
Active

My sister worked in the Cabinet Office for 20 years; and your version of the professional, impartial permanent senior civil service disappeared a long time ago, about the same time as the neighbourhood Bobby did. People are shifted, promoted, shunted sideways. Come on you know that.

#27 Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Calypso
Active

I had no idea that politics plays a major part inn English education. It has messed up American schools so much. We now teach from a script and can no longer plan lesson. What  a blasted profession to be in these days!

#28 Nov 18, 2017 10:00 pm

houston
Active

Born with a certain colour of skin gives no right to privilege these days.
Sink or swim, we are all in the same boat that floats on ability. Those that can't swim will always find blame.

#29 Nov 19, 2017 1:17 am

Calypso
Active

houston wrote:

Born with a certain colour of skin gives no right to privilege these days.
Sink or swim, we are all in the same boat that floats on ability. Those that can't swim will always find blame.

Your comment is very vague. Teaching is a researched-based profession. You can't dictate to a teacher how to problem-solve. The professional has to know. You cannot write a lesson plan for a teacher for the professional has to  the needs and wants  of her students.  You don
t do those things for a lawyer or a doctor now, do you? After their extensive and education they have to know what to do!

#30 Nov 19, 2017 9:35 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

My sister worked in the Cabinet Office for 20 years; and your version of the professional, impartial permanent senior civil service disappeared a long time ago, about the same time as the neighbourhood Bobby did. People are shifted, promoted, shunted sideways. Come on you know that.

Cabinet office? So Government? You would be hard pressed to get a more political department,

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat … net-office

I was talking about Ministerial, ie Treasury, Home office etc. Where the Government Minister is obviously political, but the "servants" should not be.

Board footer