You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Calypso
Active

BLACK GOLD, WHITE BRAINS-- THE QUEST FOR GOLD

I was watching a documentary  about how Marc Nathanson founded the Sadiola gold mine in Mali. He was a treasure hunter and came across a three-hundred year old map  of Mali while he was in Spain. He was fascinated by the story of  Mansa, Musa the Malian King who traveled to Egypt in 1324. Musa made a 45 hundred mile pilgrimage with 80 people carrying 300 pound of gold  and others.  carrying 24 tons. While in Spain, Nathanson wondered if Musa's mine still existed after 700 years. He journeyed to Mali, crossing the arid desert and came upon the village of Sadiola. He asked the villagers if the mine still existed. He was told that it was closed decades earlier after and massive explosion killed many of the miners. He realized that there could stilld be gold in the mines. He approached some investors and talked them into backing him on his venture digging for gold in Sadiola.  Today, he is a billionaire more than 3 and a half times over. Why didn't the Africans thought about this? Marc Nathanson  extracts four hundred thousand pounds of gold, totaling 400 million dollars each year from the mine in Mali. The Africans in Mali could have made use of that money but a white man beat them to it. They have the resources but not the brains to think critically. If they stuck oil in the Caribbean, what will we let them do to us?

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Marc … m_36Rm.jpg

Last edited by Calypso (Nov 20, 2017 8:17 pm)

#2 Nov 20, 2017 8:56 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: BLACK GOLD, WHITE BRAINS-- THE QUEST FOR GOLD

Agreed with everything except "They have the resources but not the brains to think critically." What do you expect, in a country with nothing but the most rudimentary education? The colonialists didn't exactly leave their ex colonies well equipped to reap the rewards of their natural endowments.

#3 Nov 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

I was watching a documentary  about how Marc Nathanson founded the Sadiola gold mine in Mali. He was a treasure hunter and came across a three-hundred year old map  of Mali while he was in Spain. He was fascinated by the story of  Mansa, Musa the Malian King who traveled to Egypt in 1324. Musa made a 45 hundred mile pilgrimage with 80 people carrying 300 pound of gold  and others.  carrying 24 tons. While in Spain, Nathanson wondered if Musa's mine still existed after 700 years. He journeyed to Mali, crossing the arid desert and came upon the village of Sadiola. He asked the villagers if the mine still existed. He was told that it was closed decades earlier after and massive explosion killed many of the miners. He realized that there could stilld be gold in the mines. He approached some investors and talked them into backing him on his venture digging for gold in Sadiola.  Today, he is a billionaire more than 3 and a half times over. Why didn't the Africans thought about this? Marc Nathanson  extracts four hundred thousand pounds of gold, totaling 400 million dollars each year from the mine in Mali. The Africans in Mali could have made use of that money but a white man beat them to it. They have the resources but not the brains to think critically. If they stuck oil in the Caribbean, what will we let them do to us?

Your Bro's are doing it to you now.

While Grenada whistles its happy tune Trinidad is probably side drilling every drop of oil that we should be entitled to.

By the time someone gives the go ahead to do a test drill the cupboard will be bare.

#4 Nov 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Agreed with everything except "They have the resources but not the brains to think critically." What do you expect, in a country with nothing but the most rudimentary education? The colonialists didn't exactly leave their ex colonies well equipped to reap the rewards of their natural endowments.

Those damned Froggy's.

Not like the Brits, India, an, and, and ...lots of former Colonies doing really well....  Cough... cough.

#5 Nov 21, 2017 4:26 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

While Grenada whistles its happy tune Trinidad is probably side drilling every drop of oil that we should be entitled to.

By the time someone gives the go ahead to do a test drill the cupboard will be bare.

Trinidad has really become advanced and I am very proud of them. They've had some very good leaders along the way. More innovative minds and we'll go forward. I hope to see Jamaica rising like the phoenix!

#6 Nov 21, 2017 6:49 am

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Those damned Froggy's.

Not like the Brits, India, an, and, and ...lots of former Colonies doing really well....  Cough... cough.

Glad you added the cough-cough at the end there!

#7 Nov 21, 2017 7:16 am

Vanni
Active

What a sad sad world! Where it's still believed and presented as OK to exploit where others do not know how to handle or defend themselves. How can such a world be called civilised? How can we expect such a world to have any future?

Watch it crumbling. It may still look like the law of the "stronger" (read bully) is still successful and leading, but, for those who can see, and for those who can't alike, this law is eating itself by the tail right now, and is in an ever faster pace reaching its vital organs: the collapse is on its way. And I do not think that any of us who understand the world under the aspect of caring, are going to shed a tear.

Place for another mentality and the people representing it.

Yes ... we can in a first instance avoid to (strategically) place someone in a situation making him vulnerable - as described above due to lack of intellectual education, for example, or basics like unhealthy or lacking food and water, or other. But should it still be the case:

yes, we can choose to act in a brotherly, supportive way toward those who are vulnerable. After all: we're supposed to be human beings! roll

Last edited by Vanni (Nov 21, 2017 7:21 am)

#8 Nov 21, 2017 7:26 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Trinidad has really become advanced and I am very proud of them. They've had some very good leaders along the way. More innovative minds and we'll go forward. I hope to see Jamaica rising like the phoenix!

It would be a waisted opportunity if they weren't. They have or had oil to fund their expansion. (some of which may have been ours). They have a much larger population to help provide dynamism to businisses. So you get economies of scale. They have a large UWI complex to facilitate education to higher levels.

Unlike Haiti which has the population but no wealth powerhouse to help the improvement tractor.

Grenada regrettably is so small scale there are no economies of scale, only the few local companies like Brydon and Minors who have expanded outside our boarders are really flourishing....as they then aquire..... economies of scale... and we threw away a wealth tractor when we assisted in the creation of crooked off shore banking. We simply shot ourselves in the foot.

Maybe we need to spend several millions in expanding our Docks, and create a "free port", all we would have to do is fill in the Lagoon to create the storage area..... See there we go ... The topography as usual works against us.

What I have said in a very long way is Grenada cannot compete with 100,000 people on a mountainous rock with comparitevely established countries with a large are of easily usable land, that have 1,500,000 people. We probably have percentage wise just as many smart people, but they are limited by the location in many different ways.

The spelling is rubbish, as my checker is on the fritz.

#9 Nov 21, 2017 7:31 am

Expat
Active

Vanni wrote:

What a sad sad world! Where it's still believed and presented as OK to exploit where others do not know how to handle or defend themselves. How can such a world be called civilised? How can we expect such a world to have any future?

Watch it crumbling. It may still look like the law of the "stronger" (read bully) is still successful and leading, but, for those who can see, and for those who can't alike, this law is eating itself by the tail right now, and is in an ever faster pace reaching its vital organs: the collapse is on its way. And I do not think that any of us who understand the world under the aspect of caring, are going to shed a tear.

Place for another mentality and the people representing it.

Yes ... we can in a first instance avoid to (strategically) place someone in a situation making him vulnerable - as described above due to lack of intellectual education, for example, or basics like unhealthy or lacking food and water, or other. But should it still be the case:

yes, we can choose to act in a brotherly, supportive way toward those who are vulnerable. After all: we're supposed to be human beings! roll

Total tosh.

It has been survival that has been the engine for advancement from the days of the cave dwellers until now.

It is simply the human version of the Animal kingdom where the fittest survive, and the weakest go to the lion.
Even on a very simple level... Every time a person goes for a job the compete against 1 to 2000 other people. It is ALWAYS survival of the fittest.

I am not saying it is fair, simply that a dream world where we all hug each other would have had us never moving out of those caves.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 21, 2017 7:35 am)

#10 Nov 21, 2017 8:18 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Ah keep wondering, why don't Grenada sue Trinidad and get the World Court involved.  Are TIEFING Keith getting Kick back or what?  This situation is too damn stupid.

Board footer