You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#21 Nov 24, 2017 5:47 am

Calypso
Active

Re: BLACK GOLD, WHITE BRAINS-- THE QUEST FOR GOLD

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Considering the Earth is the product of happenstance, and the Moon is literally a chip off the old block which has had an extremely beneficial effect on our climate and seasons, and that all the creatures and bacteria have grown as a direct result of the specific climate and atmosphere they find themselves, and that Man has only been on this planet for about 20 seconds of a year if the Earth were to measure time in that form. How ever wonderful it may be, it is ALL a bloody miracle, but not one created by a super biological engineer. Its just like a game of billiards you whack the pack, and where they end up is no ones guess. Chaos theory.

Some of the planets in our Solar system are in the wrong place due to sling shot gravity. The same thing could have happened to us, and instead of sitting pretty just over the hill from the Sun, we could have been an orphan planet.... There are plenty of them.  Cast adrift in deep space with no Sun just a dead rock. Where would your clever God have been then?

Your stance is well-taken and well-spoken like the true agnostic. But with a drab viewpoint as yours you've cast the world and its woes as not having the hope to rekindle a glory and harmony which will give mankind a high quality of life and true happiness. There are many mysteries that we cannot explain. Did you know that when Columbus thought that the world was flat, the Bible told us that it was round. Did you know that before Alexander the Great came to power, it was prophesied in the Bible? Did you know that global warming was predicted in the Bible? The emergence of diseases and famines and wars?  Did you know that the Bible clearly told us that the Earth was the only planet that mankind could live on? It predicted the information age, etc. etc. etc. Believing in a Supreme Being gives me great comfort. I know that better is yet to me. l

Every man is entitled to their belief structure, and if it works for you fine. Note, NH is the Agnostic, I am the Aithiest. It is not the same thing.

However I think the old wives tale about early sailors thinking the World was flat is just that. Even a non learned person can look out to see from a high vantage point and see the curveature of the Earth.

There is a fad about this was predicted by this or that group or book... We can and many do find these predictions by putting words into the mouths of writers having 20-20 vision to utelise. Exactly what I said earlier about Mankind having a need to create understandable patterns. Deseases and Wars are hardly hard to predict are they...Hmm. There has hardly been a period of peace since Christe's time till now.

Your lack of knowledge about God's purpose has caused you to become an agnostic and I could see that. Please, I encouraged you to go on ;living your life with doubt, not having an optimistic view of the future!

#22 Nov 24, 2017 8:18 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Your stance is well-taken and well-spoken like the true agnostic. But with a drab viewpoint as yours you've cast the world and its woes as not having the hope to rekindle a glory and harmony which will give mankind a high quality of life and true happiness. There are many mysteries that we cannot explain. Did you know that when Columbus thought that the world was flat, the Bible told us that it was round. Did you know that before Alexander the Great came to power, it was prophesied in the Bible? Did you know that global warming was predicted in the Bible? The emergence of diseases and famines and wars?  Did you know that the Bible clearly told us that the Earth was the only planet that mankind could live on? It predicted the information age, etc. etc. etc. Believing in a Supreme Being gives me great comfort. I know that better is yet to me. l

Every man is entitled to their belief structure, and if it works for you fine. Note, NH is the Agnostic, I am the Aithiest. It is not the same thing.

However I think the old wives tale about early sailors thinking the World was flat is just that. Even a non learned person can look out to see from a high vantage point and see the curveature of the Earth.

There is a fad about this was predicted by this or that group or book... We can and many do find these predictions by putting words into the mouths of writers having 20-20 vision to utelise. Exactly what I said earlier about Mankind having a need to create understandable patterns. Deseases and Wars are hardly hard to predict are they...Hmm. There has hardly been a period of peace since Christe's time till now.

Your lack of knowledge about God's purpose has caused you to become an agnostic and I could see that. Please, I encouraged you to go on ;living your life with doubt, not having an optimistic view of the future!

If you misread the Bible the way you do my few lines I can understand your position in life.

I have stated I am an Atheist. You even stated it yourself. If you were a Christian how would you feel about being called a Hindu?

If you understood the meaning of the word you would appreciate there is nothing you can say about God that is going to impress me. God has no purpose. God does not exist. Period.

#23 Nov 24, 2017 9:13 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

If you misread the Bible the way you do my few lines I can understand your position in life.

I have stated I am an Atheist. You even stated it yourself. If you were a Christian how would you feel about being called a Hindu?

If you understood the meaning of the word you would appreciate there is nothing you can say about God that is going to impress me. God has no purpose. God does not exist. Period.

Sorry, I had to go back to the thread to verify that. NH is the agnostic not you.  Your view in my opinion is even worst! How do you find comfort in this life? Were you aware of the fact that is the mercy of the Supreme Being that has let you survived prosperously all these years? The Almighty's sun and mercy has been shining both and the good and bad alike.  You continue to enjoy his mercy while you stay ungrateful!

#24 Nov 24, 2017 10:18 am

Vanni
Active

Expat wrote:

Yep, you did continue with your Tosh, and it wasn't even Peter Tosh.

We were in the caves to shelter from harsh weather condition... Ice Age comes to mind, plus those big unfriendly animals. We were not top of the food chain back then. Plus even modern humans would exchange the effects of the elements for the comfort of preexisting shelter.

We have developed functions in our brain to survive. Face recognition, risk awareness, are basic ones. God need is a development which helps us cope with the unknown. We as a species have developed the ability to rationalise haphazard events and actions which seem to form patterns. As way to develop... This is how we learned to make the best from grass species and develop cereals to eat. Our brains find the unexplained difficult to cope with. So in comes God... until as has happened many many times... our knowledge increases and we find a real explanation for what ever the event was.  Solar eclipse isn't down to God being pissed off with us anymore. Now we don't have to sacrifice people to keep him on side.

I really find your sugar coated view of life nauseating. Nowhere do I see more than a few tree huggers being nice to the World. Most simply get by trying not to be crushed under the challenges of modern life. Many actively put themselves way out in front of others needs or wishes. Even Grenada which has to be one of the most God ridden countries in the World. With maybe 85% or more religious devotees of sundry kinds... mostly Christian, has an un-Godly set of people, who are often two faced, lying, crap stirring, gossip spreading, unfaithful to their spouses and partners, Child molesting Wife abusing, Robbing from neighbours set of people. Who go to church every week. Now, many of those actions are not too different from other places. I am not making out that Grenada is any different from societies where Church is less popular. What I am saying is DESPITE being so God orientated they are no better.

And where we might agree is that we could and should be better.

I am far from perfect, but I do try to be better on average than those that love God, and screw their fellow man. I try to do no harm even if I can't do good. I try to do many of the things you would consider laudable. I may have been coached in the good book when I was younger, I may have been an active Church participant... Maybe that set the mould for my attempts at good behaviour. I just don't put God at the helm. As, you already know. I do not believe there is one. Niether some mysterious power. So any hand raising to a super power to me is just BS. My belief. Not a certainty, but it is my belief based on how I have interpreted the information made available to me over the years.

However grump, grizzly and argumentative I may be, I would bet if there were a pearly gates even as a disbeliever I would probably get through those gates easier than some of those that dutifully go to church every Sunday, and forget everything as soon as they leave the Church after service.

Expat, I am not in any religion, however I am totally turned toward spirituality. It's my experience, no arguing could change what I have been and continue to experience.

If you knew from where I am coming, what has been and is my life and what I've realised, discovered and experienced: your calling my views sugar coated is, to me, the confirmation that I actually did surprisingly well, considering what I've been going through smile

The fact that you are doing your best is in my opinion better than to call God's name to justify cruelty, believe that some are chosen and some are rejected, and believe in eternal hell. Good job Expat.

#25 Nov 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Sorry, I had to go back to the thread to verify that. NH is the agnostic not you.  Your view in my opinion is even worst! How do you find comfort in this life? Were you aware of the fact that is the mercy of the Supreme Being that has let you survived prosperously all these years? The Almighty's sun and mercy has been shining both and the good and bad alike.  You continue to enjoy his mercy while you stay ungrateful!

He aint given me jack He don't exist. I am perfectly fine without a God crutch. I grew a backbone.

I did not get anything for free. I worked bloody hard to get it, overcame many obstacles, and paid my dues , and I don't count myself as affluent, except perhaps compared to many locals who in my opinion have had a really miserable hand dealt them. In England I am barely sticking my head over the gutter.

I always used to say to those on the point of being jealous at my apparent luck. "It's funny how the harder I worked the luckier I became".  In other words luck did not come into it, and do something about your situation instead of wishing something or body would drop everything they needed into their laps.

#26 Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Expat
Active

Vanni wrote:
Expat wrote:

Yep, you did continue with your Tosh, and it wasn't even Peter Tosh.

We were in the caves to shelter from harsh weather condition... Ice Age comes to mind, plus those big unfriendly animals. We were not top of the food chain back then. Plus even modern humans would exchange the effects of the elements for the comfort of preexisting shelter.

We have developed functions in our brain to survive. Face recognition, risk awareness, are basic ones. God need is a development which helps us cope with the unknown. We as a species have developed the ability to rationalise haphazard events and actions which seem to form patterns. As way to develop... This is how we learned to make the best from grass species and develop cereals to eat. Our brains find the unexplained difficult to cope with. So in comes God... until as has happened many many times... our knowledge increases and we find a real explanation for what ever the event was.  Solar eclipse isn't down to God being pissed off with us anymore. Now we don't have to sacrifice people to keep him on side.

I really find your sugar coated view of life nauseating. Nowhere do I see more than a few tree huggers being nice to the World. Most simply get by trying not to be crushed under the challenges of modern life. Many actively put themselves way out in front of others needs or wishes. Even Grenada which has to be one of the most God ridden countries in the World. With maybe 85% or more religious devotees of sundry kinds... mostly Christian, has an un-Godly set of people, who are often two faced, lying, crap stirring, gossip spreading, unfaithful to their spouses and partners, Child molesting Wife abusing, Robbing from neighbours set of people. Who go to church every week. Now, many of those actions are not too different from other places. I am not making out that Grenada is any different from societies where Church is less popular. What I am saying is DESPITE being so God orientated they are no better.

And where we might agree is that we could and should be better.

I am far from perfect, but I do try to be better on average than those that love God, and screw their fellow man. I try to do no harm even if I can't do good. I try to do many of the things you would consider laudable. I may have been coached in the good book when I was younger, I may have been an active Church participant... Maybe that set the mould for my attempts at good behaviour. I just don't put God at the helm. As, you already know. I do not believe there is one. Niether some mysterious power. So any hand raising to a super power to me is just BS. My belief. Not a certainty, but it is my belief based on how I have interpreted the information made available to me over the years.

However grump, grizzly and argumentative I may be, I would bet if there were a pearly gates even as a disbeliever I would probably get through those gates easier than some of those that dutifully go to church every Sunday, and forget everything as soon as they leave the Church after service.

Expat, I am not in any religion, however I am totally turned toward spirituality. It's my experience, no arguing could change what I have been and continue to experience.

If you knew from where I am coming, what has been and is my life and what I've realised, discovered and experienced: your calling my views sugar coated is, to me, the confirmation that I actually did surprisingly well, considering what I've been going through smile

The fact that you are doing your best is in my opinion better than to call God's name to justify cruelty, believe that some are chosen and some are rejected, and believe in eternal hell. Good job Expat.

I am yet again confused by your writing, and I am not being rude or disagreeable when I say it.

Your first 2 paragraphs fine, it's all down to personal experience and how you interpret how you get to where you get.

The last paragraph ?

Doing my best... is fine, but where does the God's name to justify cruelty fit in anything?

Then whats this believe some are chosen and some are rejected thingy?  Why should anyone be chosen or rejected, and by who, and why?

There is no hell anymore than there is a heaven. It was a made up connivance to keep the faithful in line, and get them to pay their way out of sin by giving the money to support the church. A classic ripoff con.

Last edited by Expat (Nov 24, 2017 12:57 pm)

#27 Nov 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Vanni
Active

Expat wrote:

I am yet again confused by your writing, and I am not being rude or disagreeable when I say it.

Your first 2 paragraphs fine, it's all down to personal experience and how you interpret how you get to where you get.

The last paragraph ?

Doing my best... is fine, but where does the God's name to justify cruelty fit in anything?

Then whats this believe some are chosen and some are rejected thingy?  Why should anyone be chosen or rejected, and by who, and why?

There is no hell anymore than there is a heaven. It was a made up connivance to keep the faithful in line, and get them to pay their way out of sin by giving the money to support the church. A classic ripoff con.

Expat, I was referring to religion.

#28 Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Expat
Active

Vanni wrote:
Expat wrote:

The last paragraph ?

Expat, I was referring to religion.

I'm glad you knew that.

Board footer