You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Calypso
Active

Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

I just read an article about poor old criminals being flogged for crimes. Is the Grenadian government out of its mind? The tiny island nation is behaving like its  a Muslim country where women are still stoned to death for committing adultery and men feet are still being chopped off for stealing. You have to do things in a way so that even alleged criminals could still maintain a level of dignity.

#2 Nov 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

Calypso wrote:

I just read an article about poor old criminals being flogged for crimes. Is the Grenadian government out of its mind? The tiny island nation is behaving like its  a Muslim country where women are still stoned to death for committing adultery and men feet are still being chopped off for stealing. You have to do things in a way so that even alleged criminals could still maintain a level of dignity.

While as I wrote in a parallel thread I do not have a problem with corporal punishment in school so long as it is fairly and reasonably administered. I find the concept of some thick set Sergent going off to find the "right" branch, and then flailing away at some miscreant appalling.

I had the dubious pleasure of hearing someone receiving a flogging in St Davids Police Station a couple of years back. I was very glad it wasn't me.

#3 Nov 23, 2017 3:31 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

While as I wrote in a parallel thread I do not have a problem with corporal punishment in school so long as it is fairly and reasonably administered. I find the concept of some thick set Sergent going off to find the "right" branch, and then flailing away at some miscreant appalling.

I had the dubious pleasure of hearing someone receiving a flogging in St Davids Police Station a couple of years back. I was very glad it wasn't me.

So tell me, does this ancient tiny nation flog women too? When I think of flogging I think of a parent flogging a child. I myself, do not believe in flogging children. It reminds me of slavery. Personally, I think of flogging as a sexual deviant act.  The  person doing the flogging is being aroused when the one being flogged is in pain. ( from the writings of the Marquis de Sade).   How about short terms jail, community service or some other kind of punishment? My gosh! your laws need some updating.

#4 Nov 23, 2017 9:40 am

Slice
Active

Once you commit ah crime, you have no say.  You are now the my property.  I am the one who pays, so you can live.  I am the boss and what I say goes.  I say cut their arsessess.

Last edited by Slice (Nov 23, 2017 9:42 am)

#5 Nov 23, 2017 9:56 am

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:

Once you commit ah crime, you have no say.  You are now the my property.  I am the one who pays, so you can live.  I am the boss and what I say goes.  I say cut their arsessess.

Wonderful! you are what I've always thought: an animal!

#6 Nov 23, 2017 10:27 am

New Historian
Active

It is an animal practice to be sure. But there's something wrong when people don't MIND going to jail lol!! When you hear a man say "Ah go mek a jail fuh you!" - run, cos he means it! I've seen guys come out of a year or so in Richmond Hill, looking all fit and fat lol!

#7 Nov 23, 2017 11:25 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

It is an animal practice to be sure. But there's something wrong when people don't MIND going to jail lol!! When you hear a man say "Ah go mek a jail fuh you!" - run, cos he means it! I've seen guys come out of a year or so in Richmond Hill, looking all fit and fat lol!

I believe that the punishment must fit the crime but when I think of flogging I think of slaves and children being abused in a puerile way. How can you flog and adult? When were these laws instituted? How can you petition to get them changed? These are questions the younger generation ponder.

#8 Nov 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

So tell me, does this ancient tiny nation flog women too? When I think of flogging I think of a parent flogging a child. I myself, do not believe in flogging children. It reminds me of slavery. Personally, I think of flogging as a sexual deviant act.  The  person doing the flogging is being aroused when the one being flogged is in pain. ( from the writings of the Marquis de Sade).   How about short terms jail, community service or some other kind of punishment? My gosh! your laws need some updating.

Seems like you are writing what you want to write independantly of what was previously written. A conversation, or debate usually entails dialogue between two or more parties. If you intend to write self centric thoughts it becomes a monologue.

#9 Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

Seems like you are writing what you want to write independantly of what was previously written. A conversation, or debate usually entails dialogue between two or more parties. If you intend to write self centric thoughts it becomes a monologue.

You sarcastic arsehole! You are responding, aren't you?? Well then, I am carrying on a conversation with a blasted nincompoop!!!

#10 Nov 23, 2017 5:03 pm

New Historian
Active

"The  person doing the flogging is being aroused when the one being flogged is in pain. ( from the writings of the Marquis de Sade)."

I don't know what turns you on lol, but I certainly don't remember getting "aroused" when I had to give my kids (boys mainly) a few licks! My specialty was the "two-finger slap": just enough pain for tears but no marks and no bawling down the house.

Board footer