You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Nov 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

New Historian wrote:

"The  person doing the flogging is being aroused when the one being flogged is in pain. ( from the writings of the Marquis de Sade)."

I don't know what turns you on lol, but I certainly don't remember getting "aroused" when I had to give my kids (boys mainly) a few licks! My specialty was the "two-finger slap": just enough pain for tears but no marks and no bawling down the house.

I think the poster is getting off on this topic. There is or should be a hell of a difference between flogging a criminal.... which I do not agree with. It is draconian, and demeaning, and run of the mill corporal punishment for serious or persistent breaking of the rules in school. Considering how easy it now seems to be for difficult students to be disruptive and not only spoil other students chance of learning but stressing out an under gunned teacher. The loss of the "last resort" with a trip to the Head Master seems to me to be sorely missed.

Offline

#12 Nov 23, 2017 6:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

There's a valid place for the short, sharp slap - a "talking-to" will only work on some kids, and only so far. EVERY kid crosses the line, and when they do it egregiously, it is our DUTY as parents to pull them up short - literally and otherwise. Otherwise we're raising up a bunch of ill disciplined kids who are not used to boundaries. I've seen the worst behaved kids in America, with their hapless parents absolutely unable to control them. Not me mate.

Offline

#13 Nov 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

So tell me, does this ancient tiny nation flog women too? When I think of flogging I think of a parent flogging a child. I myself, do not believe in flogging children. It reminds me of slavery. Personally, I think of flogging as a sexual deviant act.  The  person doing the flogging is being aroused when the one being flogged is in pain. ( from the writings of the Marquis de Sade).   How about short terms jail, community service or some other kind of punishment? My gosh! your laws need some updating.

Seems like you are writing what you want to write independantly of what was previously written. A conversation, or debate usually entails dialogue between two or more parties. If you intend to write self centric thoughts it becomes a monologue.

You sarcastic arsehole! You are responding, aren't you?? Well then, I am carrying on a conversation with a blasted nincompoop!!!

Fortunately there is a delete button, otherwise you would have read comments like dog brethed son of a whore, and other gentle reposts, but fortunately I was able to delete it, so you won't be able to enjoy that exchange.

However I do wonder where you draw your comprehension from, as there is nothing sarcastic in what I wrote previously. It was a factual statement. the fact that we have written words that form a sentence on the same thread is not amounting to a conversation, as you are effectively talking at me rather than too me. Absolutely no recognition of my previous statement means I might as well not respond, as you could have written your little tirade in an unconnected post.

Offline

#14 Nov 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

New Historian wrote:

There's a valid place for the short, sharp slap - a "talking-to" will only work on some kids, and only so far. EVERY kid crosses the line, and when they do it egregiously, it is our DUTY as parents to pull them up short - literally and otherwise. Otherwise we're raising up a bunch of ill disciplined kids who are not used to boundaries. I've seen the worst behaved kids in America, with their hapless parents absolutely unable to control them. Not me mate.

Aahhh, you are the parent waiting to be had up on child abuse charges by some pimpled law savvy urchin.

I recall a supposedly true story where an adolescent girl would not take disciplin, and when the mother did cut her tail she got social services involved. When the people came to collect her the mother took off all the childs clothes and said so she come, so she go. Leaving the social sevices to cover her modesty. In pretty short time the child putting on it's thinking head regrets being a little monster, and begs to come home, and behaves like a little angel thereafter.

Offline

#15 Nov 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

There's a valid place for the short, sharp slap - a "talking-to" will only work on some kids, and only so far. EVERY kid crosses the line, and when they do it egregiously, it is our DUTY as parents to pull them up short - literally and otherwise. Otherwise we're raising up a bunch of ill disciplined kids who are not used to boundaries. I've seen the worst behaved kids in America, with their hapless parents absolutely unable to control them. Not me mate.

Aahhh, you are the parent waiting to be had up on child abuse charges by some pimpled law savvy urchin.

I recall a supposedly true story where an adolescent girl would not take disciplin, and when the mother did cut her tail she got social services involved. When the people came to collect her the mother took off all the childs clothes and said so she come, so she go. Leaving the social sevices to cover her modesty. In pretty short time the child putting on it's thinking head regrets being a little monster, and begs to come home, and behaves like a little angel thereafter.


American children are poorly behaved, be them black or white, rich or poor. But I've have seen some parents work with their children without beating them. I have seen parents beat up their children and it didn't change them. Caribbean parents sometimes can be very harsh with their children to the point of abuse.  When my sisters children were young they'd paddle them on the rump, only on the rump, without cutting the skin.  My common sense tells me that the criminals would have marks on their backs like the slaves did and that becomes inhumane. Sure they committed a crime but you could give them more laborious duties in prison  to help them to reflect!


https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c … 0866c915ac

Last edited by Calypso (Nov 23, 2017 11:09 pm)

Offline

#16 Nov 24, 2017 8:29 am

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

There's a valid place for the short, sharp slap - a "talking-to" will only work on some kids, and only so far. EVERY kid crosses the line, and when they do it egregiously, it is our DUTY as parents to pull them up short - literally and otherwise. Otherwise we're raising up a bunch of ill disciplined kids who are not used to boundaries. I've seen the worst behaved kids in America, with their hapless parents absolutely unable to control them. Not me mate.

Aahhh, you are the parent waiting to be had up on child abuse charges by some pimpled law savvy urchin.

I recall a supposedly true story where an adolescent girl would not take disciplin, and when the mother did cut her tail she got social services involved. When the people came to collect her the mother took off all the childs clothes and said so she come, so she go. Leaving the social sevices to cover her modesty. In pretty short time the child putting on it's thinking head regrets being a little monster, and begs to come home, and behaves like a little angel thereafter.


American children are poorly behaved, be them black or white, rich or poor. But I've have seen some parents work with their children without beating them. I have seen parents beat up their children and it didn't change them. Caribbean parents sometimes can be very harsh with their children to the point of abuse.  When my sisters children were young they'd paddle them on the rump, only on the rump, without cutting the skin.  My common sense tells me that the criminals would have marks on their backs like the slaves did and that becomes inhumane. Sure they committed a crime but you could give them more laborious duties in prison  to help them to reflect!


I think many "developed" countries have protections for children that have created the poor behaviour that is now endemic.

I believe restrained physical chastisement especially where danger is present is sometimes necessary... for children.

Redirecting their focus and withdrawal of privileges are often quite effective is less serious cases.... for children.

Prisoners, as I implied before should not be birched. That is quite a different violence level to a smack on the bottom, or arm/leg.

I agree, just as you could make life difficult for a child as punishment. So you should be able to make the prison experience more unpleasant without recourse to beating.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c … 0866c915ac

Offline

#17 Nov 24, 2017 6:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

I remember my father telling me “Never judge a man out of his time” – probably knowing he too would someday be judged. He was the product of his time, a time when all West Indian parents firmly subscribed to the Biblical dictum: “Spare the rod, and spoil the child”. In that respect I guess Dad was no better or worse than most. Actually that’s not true, he wasn’t nearly as bad as many West Indian parents, who went way over the top in flogging their children. Sadly, many still do. Dad wasn’t that that bad – at least he never named his belt.

But when he took off that belt - watch out! He would make you go and get it, and God help you if you said you couldn’t find it. Oh lord and how that belt would sting; you would literally bounce off the walls, trying to dodge the next incoming blow.

Offline

#18 Nov 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

New Historian wrote:

I remember my father telling me “Never judge a man out of his time” – probably knowing he too would someday be judged. He was the product of his time, a time when all West Indian parents firmly subscribed to the Biblical dictum: “Spare the rod, and spoil the child”. In that respect I guess Dad was no better or worse than most. Actually that’s not true, he wasn’t nearly as bad as many West Indian parents, who went way over the top in flogging their children. Sadly, many still do. Dad wasn’t that that bad – at least he never named his belt.

But when he took off that belt - watch out! He would make you go and get it, and God help you if you said you couldn’t find it. Oh lord and how that belt would sting; you would literally bounce off the walls, trying to dodge the next incoming blow.


I am glad to say my father only hit me once, and that was a slap on the arm out of frustration due to my nail biting... something regrettably I still do to this very day. Amusingly it was as a result of watching him at one point that started it.

Other than that his personality is what kept me in check ....until adolescent stupidity let me do a few things I should have known better not to do.

As a younger child Mum on the other hand.... probably as she had me at home all the time, would dole out clumps round the head. All that stopped when I aged and grew enough to pick her up and drop her on the bed. She realised she had met her waterloo, and was reborn to age gracefully into the sweet little old lady with a slightly acid tongue that raised its head from time to time... Now you see where I get it from... We always say... Oh I'll never be like that... until you realise you are... smile

Offline

#19 Nov 24, 2017 6:47 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

True words! My wife would haul out "the slipper" and planass my boys - who wouldjust srug off te licks. But as soon as DAD gave them the dreaded tw0-fingers: bawl!

Offline

#20 Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Flogging Criminals in Grenada is Outdated!

Very Rude JA . New Historian is plain out of line .Taking things out of context . Just because he is not a wide reader.
Slanderous.
No , don't bore a hole in  the bottom of  his rickety boat . Turn the other cheek.
Beast ! lol.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB