You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am

Dancer
Active

Miss JAMAICA + her AFRO was robbed of Miss UNIVERSE title

This year , Miss S. Africa, Demi-Leigh-Nel-Peters took the crown at this year's Miss universe pageant, and while the 22 year old is celebrated worldwide, one look at social media  proves many believe , Miss Jamaica , DAVINA BENNETT , should have won the title.

WOMEN of Color competing in pageants , while rocking their natural hair  ..... ( minus the perms , weaves and straight hair )   .... is an empowering deviation from what we are used to seeing from contestants  who choose to compete.

Many critics believe  BENNETT the JA, the second runner up , for Miss Universe , who showed off her natural Crown with grace ,  and confidence and displayed such poise and intelligence , many question if she was robbed from the Title.

#2 Nov 30, 2017 11:08 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Miss JAMAICA + her AFRO was robbed of Miss UNIVERSE title

But really, who (besides Jamaicans) gives a flying fart? Beauty contests are sooo passe.

#3 Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Slice
Active

I am such ah change person these days, sometimes ah just cant be believe it is me.  In my younger days ah would not give any black woman with dyed hair ah second look.  Now they are all dying their hairs and look more white than black.

#4 Nov 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Vanni
Active

Despite these results: tastes are changing to expand to all races. Thanks Heaven!

Now, as for measuring outer beauty alone - or measuring anything at all and select it as the best - I am not keen on that. So I do not watch the beauty contests.

#5 Nov 30, 2017 3:19 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees
Active

Dancer wrote:

This year , Miss S. Africa, Demi-Leigh-Nel-Peters took the crown at this year's Miss universe pageant, and while the 22 year old is celebrated worldwide, one look at social media  proves many believe , Miss Jamaica , DAVINA BENNETT , should have won the title.

WOMEN of Color competing in pageants , while rocking their natural hair  ..... ( minus the perms , weaves and straight hair )   .... is an empowering deviation from what we are used to seeing from contestants  who choose to compete.

Many critics believe  BENNETT the JA, the second runner up , for Miss Universe , who showed off her natural Crown with grace ,  and confidence and displayed such poise and intelligence , many question if she was robbed from the Title.

A lot  of them young girls look like zombie Is long ago women that was beautiful check them out in their black and white pics. They look a certain way is like the beauty inside used to just light them up.

#6 Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees
Active

Miss who? They probably have no talent Glad I was not aware of no such people until now you mentioned them.

#7 Nov 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees
Active

Dancer wrote:

Dancer I see it her hair looks like a birds nest  this girl will regret wearing her hair line that . She would have looked much better with natural twists or even cornrows even those people who travelled on the empire windrush  will never dare wear this kind of afraid again unless softened. The roots maybe hurting  but she got strong nice hair but poor choice of natural hairstyle So many other natural  West Indian hairstyle could have enhance her looks much more.

When she look back at the pics she  will regret. A few nice  zigzag cornrows or ghana  twist front only would have still been natural  Aa whats the meaning of all that . She should not have worn make up then  natural afro is not for everybody  lol  lol

#8 Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees
Active

Afraid heeee
Natural means no make up
Is this how she walk around or this is just for the occasion very interesting hope it's a one off which we all do once in a while

#9 Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

The woman is stunning! Natural African Hair is gorgeous. I wear my hair naturally and will never change it. We black women have struggled with this issue for decades now as the European concept of  beauty dominates. We have begun to assert ourselves and this is very good for the younger generation.

https://www.essence.com/culture/davina- … os#1275062

#10 Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Calypso
Active

Mary Seacole/deportees wrote:

Afraid heeee
Natural means no make up
Is this how she walk around or this is just for the occasion very interesting hope it's a one off which we all do once in a while

Why once in awhile. Then of course, you are not a good- looking woman so you have to wear the fake trimming so you don't turn anybody off!!

Board footer