You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

On the various perspectives of good and evil

Rabbits believe that foxes are evil.  Foxes stalk the rabbits and kill them.  They will even kill the nursing offspring of rabbits in their nests.  Rabbits see no goodness in the fox and understand him to be a curse loosed upon the world by the hand of Satan.

Foxes thank God for their daily bread; the daily bread of foxes being rabbits.  They see the abundance of rabbits to be a blessing that God has bestowed upon foxes to nourish and sustain them.  The harvesting of rabbits, therefore, is to foxes a great good and a blessing of God.

Humans, of course see no good or evil in the dramas that take place between rabbits and foxes.  It is just the way it is and the way it will always be.

The moral of the story is judging what is good and what is evil and why each exists by attempting to conceptualize the mind of God is a fool's errand.  We are no more capable of understanding the mind of God than are the rabbits.

#2 Dec 04, 2017 2:08 pm

gripe
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

RD, the conundrum becomes much more hair-raising when, isolating man in his interaction with man, we judge others based on the idea that, for example, it is wrong to steal. What if the person stealing -- I did not say he/she is a thief -- has a good reason to take the food, goods or other item? What if the person taking the food, goods or other item never does it again? What level of condemnation is justified (I hesitated to use that word) or required, under any of those circumstances?

In your example, reverting to the animal kingdom for one moment, the well-fed fox that can count on rabbits for a meal, does not (as far as we know) have any reservations about how often to eat rabbits.

Life has too many calculations to make before settling on a particular decision. Is any decision patently wrong?

HELP!!!!!

#3 Dec 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Thus it is folly to ask why God allows evil to exist when we have no firm position to see what is and isn't evil from the perspective of God.  Right?

#4 Dec 04, 2017 2:54 pm

New Historian
Active

What is God? How can you ask God anything, when he's invisible and silent? "God" is two things acting in unison within you: Your heart - and your brain!!

#5 Dec 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Yes, I understand. You don't believe in God.

#6 Dec 04, 2017 3:07 pm

New Historian
Active

Not true and knee-jerkish. I don't believe in the conventional, King James version of the West's convenient Christian version of god. Is there a "higher power"? I don't know, but I'd say more than likely, certainly a power infinitely more complex than our ability to comprehend - now. Three hundred years ago we couldn't comprehend space flight, that would be classed as "godly". But to ask "god" a question and seriously expect an answer? That is self delusional, methinks.

#7 Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am sorry. If it was a sincere question I would be glad to answer.  Usually those types are questions asked on the Internet represent an invitation for me to play a role in my own mocking. You understand.

I spent many long years a non believer. I am still not a spiritual person.  I don't usually feel anything like God's presence.  When I do, it is usually something like Vanni would describe in flowery terms.

I don't ask God questions.  I pray for faith and that I might know Him.  I don't have words to explain what God is but I know that I was given a gift of the ability to believe.   God makes me feel grateful for my many blessings and unafraid when times are hard.  Once I accepted the gift of faith and stopped rejecting what was offered, my life got much better.

I know God isn't a delusion in my bones.  That said, if God is a delusion it is a delusion that has made my life happier and more meaningful.  It has made me a better husband and father and a better employer and citizen.  I feel it is the Holy Spirit working in me, but even if it were a delusion, it would be a delusion that would be stupid to give up on.

Since I found God I am a happier man and a better man.  For that I am grateful.

I know George was a Hindu of some sort but he wrote a very nice prayer in this song that works for Christians too.  It is how I pray.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm)

#8 Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Imagine how much better the world would be if we could live up to what He has called us to do!

#9 Dec 04, 2017 3:47 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Matthew 22:36-40 New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Imagine how much better the world would be if we could live up to what He has called us to do!

Completely, utterly the wrong way around! Love your flesh-and-blood fellow human being, before your love your abstract god. It's because they are inverted why religion has been the biggest WMD in the history of mankind.

#10 Dec 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Without God, the commandment to love others doesn't exist.  The second can't exist without the first.

Board footer