You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Expat
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Real Distwalker wrote:

Rabbits believe that foxes are evil.  Foxes stalk the rabbits and kill them.  They will even kill the nursing offspring of rabbits in their nests.  Rabbits see no goodness in the fox and understand him to be a curse loosed upon the world by the hand of Satan.

Foxes thank God for their daily bread; the daily bread of foxes being rabbits.  They see the abundance of rabbits to be a blessing that God has bestowed upon foxes to nourish and sustain them.  The harvesting of rabbits, therefore, is to foxes a great good and a blessing of God.

Humans, of course see no good or evil in the dramas that take place between rabbits and foxes.  It is just the way it is and the way it will always be.

The moral of the story is judging what is good and what is evil and why each exists by attempting to conceptualize the mind of God is a fool's errand.  We are no more capable of understanding the mind of God than are the rabbits.


If that isn't a straw man I don't know what is.

Neither Rabbits or Foxes can or do conceptionalize God in their survival techniques. They are animals of instinct alone. However flawed mankind may be, I hope that most of us have more insight than rabbits. But it is true none of us can understand the mind of God.

I of course have a completely different reason for saying that to you.

Offline

#12 Dec 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Oh for [f word]'s sake.  You ever hear of Aesop Expat?   If you ever read Orwell's Animal Farm did you dismiss it as stupid because farm animals can't talk?  People have been using fables to make broader points for thousands of years.  This isn't new.  Sheesh.

Offline

#13 Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Real Distwalker wrote:

Oh for [f word]'s sake.  You ever hear of Aesop Expat?   If you ever read Orwell's Animal Farm did you dismiss it as stupid because farm animals can't talk?  People have been using fables to make broader points for thousands of years.  This isn't new.  Sheesh.


It's called "being deliberately obtuse". Whack him!

Offline

#14 Dec 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

I am pretty sure my children understood the animals in Aesop's fables were stand-ins for humans by the age of four or five at the latest.

Offline

#15 Dec 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Expat
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Oh for [f word]'s sake.  You ever hear of Aesop Expat?   If you ever read Orwell's Animal Farm did you dismiss it as stupid because farm animals can't talk?  People have been using fables to make broader points for thousands of years.  This isn't new.  Sheesh.


It's called "being deliberately obtuse". Whack him!


He's trying to get into your shoes as the shop story teller, I was just protecting your corner, and what thanks do I get... Whack him...

Listen, RD's going through the change. He is being reborn as a grumpy old man... I am just helping him with the transition.

Offline

#16 Dec 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Of course if I thought Aesop's fables were intended to be literal transcription of actual events, I would, like Expat, consider them stupid. 

If I were so limited in my understanding of fable, allegory and parable that I was unable to divine meaning in literary symbolism, I would probably read scripture with that same lack of insight and find it wanting too.

Offline

#17 Dec 04, 2017 4:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

Oh for [f word]'s sake.  You ever hear of Aesop Expat?   If you ever read Orwell's Animal Farm did you dismiss it as stupid because farm animals can't talk?  People have been using fables to make broader points for thousands of years.  This isn't new.  Sheesh.


It's called "being deliberately obtuse". Whack him!


He's trying to get into your shoes as the shop story teller, I was just protecting your corner, and what thanks do I get... Whack him...

Listen, RD's going through the change. He is being reborn as a grumpy old man... I am just helping him with the transition.


Literally laughing out loud here! Okay whack withdrawn! Yeah he does have a tendency to get a bit holier than thou (pun intended) every now and then - maybe it's more common on Mondays, when he's "infused"? But Expat you should leave the god door ajar just a bit you know..... ya never know...

Offline

#18 Dec 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

I may well be transitioning to grumpy old man.  That said, even with best effort, I shall never achieve the high rank in that avocation an old English pensioner easily achieves without even really trying.  Why, they wrote the book on the topic.

mean-man.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Dec 04, 2017 5:03 pm)

Offline

#19 Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Expat
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

Now you see, what you don't quite understand is we don't really take ourselves that seriously, which is why I have resting on my knee at the moment a T shirt which will be worn with pride when I get back to Blighty which bears the logo of a founding member of the Grumpy old Gits Club. "Never happy unless complaining". It is an art-form, the New World needs time to catch up.

Offline

#20 Dec 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Expat
Active

Re: On the various perspectives of good and evil

You have to understand WE do not take ourselves seriously. I have a T shirt fairly similar to the one pictured which is worn to our grumps day out lunch at pubs around the South of England.


https://vangogh.teespring.com/v3/image/ … 80/560.jpg


Slightly grumped as I couldn't get it to load as a picture despite emulating how yours was done.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 04, 2017 9:55 pm)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB