You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm

houston
Active

Stopped by this place

A few weeks ago while working in the area. It was closed for the season but decided to hop the fence for a look around.
Uncle Tom really startled me when I peeked into the side window. As I was taking a photo of Tom, there suddenly appeared in the reflection of the glass a person leaning on a cane, standing behind me. Quickly turned around to see who it was and there was no one.
At this point the eeriness was getting to me, so high tailed it out of there.

20171124_123042.jpg

20171124_123111.jpg

20171124_122202.jpg

20171124_124344.jpg

#2 Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Stopped by this place

Was Tom's Cabin based on any fact? No idea. So are you saying that you saw some "ethereal presence" in the mirror behind you? But, isn't that an oxymoron? Isn't any "ethereal presence", by definition, invisible to the cinematic eye? Mind you, I've had my own, singular experience of a "ghostly presence", so I'm not necessarily doubting you!

#3 Dec 17, 2017 9:02 am

Expat
Active

I reckon it's some old white dude holding a camera with a twisting view screen

You could have spoken to any number of Uncle Tom's on here according to some of our contributors. It all happens on TS.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am)

#4 Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Was Tom's Cabin based on any fact? No idea. So are you saying that you saw some "ethereal presence" in the mirror behind you? But, isn't that an oxymoron? Isn't any "ethereal presence", by definition, invisible to the cinematic eye? Mind you, I've had my own, singular experience of a "ghostly presence", so I'm not necessarily doubting you!

No idea. Probably just my mind playing tricks after the initial scare of looking in and seeing Uncle Tom having a nap. Or perhaps, as Scrooge said...
" You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of undergone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are! "

#5 Dec 17, 2017 3:00 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:

You could have spoken to any number of Uncle Tom's on here according to some of our contributors. It all happens on TS.

Speaking of old dudes. Whenever I go to the grocery the kids at the checkout will ask "will that be credit or debit?" When I say cash, they look stunned.

#6 Dec 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:
Expat wrote:

Speaking of old dudes. Whenever I go to the grocery the kids at the checkout will ask "will that be credit or debit?" When I say cash, they look stunned.

The "kid" was probably around 25..... really starting to show your age... smile

Cash rules... in Grenada at least. They don't have pin card machines, and I don't do signing slips... The bank will probably reject my cheques as the squiggle isn't EXACTLY like the one on file, so it's cash all the way. Usually around $1000 a visit... sad

Memo to self... eat more "local" food.

Last edited by Expat (Dec 17, 2017 5:55 pm)

#7 Dec 17, 2017 6:21 pm

houston
Active

Not sure where the kids learn how to count, but word of advice. Always count your change.

#8 Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Expat
Active

It's unsettling here that change just gets dumped on you with no counting out or explanation of what you should be getting.

However they are taking advice from the till, or register as you might call it, and so seems to be OK, but in the UK generally you know what you are getting, or have it counted into your hand.

So far I have found those handling money to be honest. I have had the odd 100 or 20 given back when I have been having senior moments.

As far as counting, I can usually outperform their fingers on the calculator... smile even after the story to follow......

As a much younger man pre getting run over by a Doctor of all things, I used to run up and down a sales list of maybe 20 items, add 12 1/2% without needing a calculator, before most of these chaps could pass 10 items across the lazer scanner.

Post the accident calculations at one point were like a new science, thankfully I am improved, but noticeably much slower with thinking processes than I used to be. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Having had multiple blows to the brain box over the years, I can understand why they are now so worried about sports concussions.

Hmmm, I've just cheered myself up.... not....by thinking about the Parkinsons these footy chaps and boxers seem to get. Best to stock up sleeping tablets just in case...

Last edited by Expat (Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm)

#9 Dec 17, 2017 10:08 pm

houston
Active

Sports concussions are finally coming to light. No matter how much a star athlete draws and makes, they can only take so many knocks on the head. One may be enough but some take two, three, four and more. Mohammed Ali and many other boxers for example. Is it worth having your brain bruised and knocked around several times?
I like the protocol the NHL has taken. Any dizziness or symptoms of a concussion and you are not allowed to play until cleared.

#10 Dec 18, 2017 6:10 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:

It's unsettling here that change just gets dumped on you with no counting out or explanation of what you should be getting.

However they are taking advice from the till, or register as you might call it, and so seems to be OK, but in the UK generally you know what you are getting, or have it counted into your hand.

So far I have found those handling money to be honest. I have had the odd 100 or 20 given back when I have been having senior moments.

As far as counting, I can usually outperform their fingers on the calculator... smile even after the story to follow......

As a much younger man pre getting run over by a Doctor of all things, I used to run up and down a sales list of maybe 20 items, add 12 1/2% without needing a calculator, before most of these chaps could pass 10 items across the lazer scanner.

Post the accident calculations at one point were like a new science, thankfully I am improved, but noticeably much slower with thinking processes than I used to be. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Having had multiple blows to the brain box over the years, I can understand why they are now so worried about sports concussions.

Hmmm, I've just cheered myself up.... not....by thinking about the Parkinsons these footy chaps and boxers seem to get. Best to stock up sleeping tablets just in case...

A note of coincidence Expat, I was run over by a doctor also. Woke up in the hospital with a severe concussion and shattered elbow. The doctor driver was charged with failing to yield to a pedestrian and pleaded not guilty. She claimed that I jumped in front of her car. However the testimony of several witnesses proved otherwise. She was one cold lady and lucky to be only charged with failing to yield.

Board footer