You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Dec 20, 2017 12:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Christmas is at risk!

My wife did, in fact, have nutmegs in the house.  I just couldn't find them.  She insisted that I return and tell you that she did not fail Christmas but, rather, I just can't find my nose in front of my face.

All is well. smile

#12 Dec 20, 2017 10:53 am

New Historian
Active

Tell me about it lol! I ask SWMBO for something and the first response you get is: "I don't know! You lost it somewhere!" Upon further asking, cajoling and finally begging, said article is produced, and as you say, 90% of the time it's right there, in front of your nose. Ah men...

#13 Dec 22, 2017 8:29 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I know eggnog.  Hell, it's my favorite kind of nog.  I know nutmeg too.  It's my favorite kind of meg. :-)  I know it is heavenly with Irish whiskey and is about the best thing about Christmastime.

Lord Eggnog does taste like concrete to me.  That Heavy cream is ah killer, but once ah year it is ah must,  Now there is one that is lactose free and ah already have two quarts in me fridge, and yesterday my Amana meats came.  Ham, bacon sausage, Beef jerky and mustard.  Ah do eat the jerky, but me sister-in-law love it.

RD, ah tink Amana meats should give you ah bonus.  I now know about ten families, because of tasting Amana ham from me, that now get their ham from Amana.

#14 Dec 22, 2017 9:58 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I am glad you like the Amana stuff.  I want you to know that is just a small business.  It is a smokehouse that has been in use for over 100 years and a little storefront.  That is it.

#15 Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8020505 … a=!3m1!1e3

Here is the inside: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Amana … 91.8692382

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Dec 22, 2017 3:47 pm)

#16 Dec 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You gotta try egg nog with whiskey.  It is divine!

I have my Eldorado golden rum cream liqueur, all lined up to fondle the tastebuds. As an interlude to the regular Eldorado 151.

If it ain't got rum in it it ain't happening.  Maybe a little nutmeg to go, but you can keep your whisky.

I think many people over here drink whisky as an attempt to look sophisticated against those that drink the local brew.

That of course is not applicable to run of the mill USAsers who simply have probably for the most part not had a great contact with rums. Rye whisky and all that.

#17 Dec 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It's good with rum too and, when in Grenada do as the Grenadians do. 

Now, having that said, whiskey whether it is scotch, bourbon, sour mash or rye, it is my go-to beverage.  Of course it is the go-to for most people around here.  And, for the record, there is nothing particularly sophisticated about sour mash corn whiskey.  It's just good. 

Rum is good too.

6.%2BOld%2BCrow%2Btrade%2Bcard*.jpg

#18 Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm

houston
Active

Slice wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:

I know eggnog.  Hell, it's my favorite kind of nog.  I know nutmeg too.  It's my favorite kind of meg. :-)  I know it is heavenly with Irish whiskey and is about the best thing about Christmastime.

Lord Eggnog does taste like concrete to me.  That Heavy cream is ah killer, but once ah year it is ah must,  Now there is one that is lactose free and ah already have two quarts in me fridge, and yesterday my Amana meats came.  Ham, bacon sausage, Beef jerky and mustard.  Ah do eat the jerky, but me sister-in-law love it.

RD, ah tink Amana meats should give you ah bonus.  I now know about ten families, because of tasting Amana ham from me, that now get their ham from Amana.

I love a good egg nog, had the first one last night and it was delightful. I like the aroma and after taste of the nutmeg, that stuff is powerful.
Tempted to try the almond nog but for some reason I think it would not taste like Christmas.

#19 Dec 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It's good with rum too and, when in Grenada do as the Grenadians do. 

Now, having that said, whiskey whether it is scotch, bourbon, sour mash or rye, it is my go-to beverage.  Of course it is the go-to for most people around here.  And, for the record, there is nothing particularly sophisticated about sour mash corn whiskey.  It's just good. 

Rum is good too.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zFeoFse_urQ/T … Bcard*.jpg

I could have been sold a crock of Cacka Poule, but I was once told that back in the old cowboy days it was more likely to be rum the barkeep slid along the counter than red eye whisky. So the movies maybe are spinning a line? They wouldn't do that surely...  smile

#20 Dec 23, 2017 8:04 pm

houston
Active

Not so sure about that, the sweetness of rum tends to pack a punch the next day.
The smoothest whiskey I have ever had is this Wisers 15 year old. They used to sell an 18 year old but I think those barrels must have run dry.

20171223_183232.jpg

Board footer