You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#41 Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Gender-Neutral God?: Swedish Churches' Controversial Decision

New Historian wrote:

Don't worry RD, Expat is just displaying one of the characteristics of his countrymen: extreme atheism. They are proudly pagan, and sometimes go OTT (over the top) with their disdain for those "inferior, primitive peoples" who still cling to their foolish faiths. They are superior in their "rational arrogance"

Oh boy you made a right mish mash of that. I cant be Atheist, AND Pagan. Atheist no God. Pagan more often than not many Gods.

Being factual is also helpful. While there are many who are lacking in religion, the vast majority in England believe in some form or other in a God, and will even attend Church for Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals, and if you are lucky go at Christmas. I think there are very few who actually do not believe in a God, even if they never go to church.

RD has taken exception to my opinion of what he believes in. I do not believe in it, and I illustrated some of the trillions of things that have and do occur all the time. Now, he can pour scorn on me if he so wishes, it is and has been his pugnacious style over the years. If you can't beat em insult them. Very Trumpish, but nothing I wrote was untrue, and as a result of those truths I formed an opinion.

Simply doing an "it is God or Allah's will" just don't cut it.

RD and I have played ring a ring a roses several times, and as both sides rely simply on faith neither at this point in time can coma away saying I have or can prove my point of view.

But what can be proved and I want to see justified is the limitless inhumanity to mankind as the results of "God given" free will and natural disasters which have ravaged the populace.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 03, 2018 7:55 pm)

#42 Jan 03, 2018 8:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Exactly as I said: they take pride in insulting "stupid people". My brother, British to the core, once really pissed me off by telling our very Catholic cousin "f*ck god". That's just insulting and arrogant. We must respect each other, and live together as civilized beings. Disagree yes, but without stepping over other people's boundaries. That kind of shit starts wars, and gets you killed.

#43 Jan 03, 2018 8:07 pm

New Historian
Active

"Oh boy you made a right mish mash of that. I cant be Atheist, AND Pagan. Atheist no God. Pagan more often than not many Gods."

Oh for Christ's sake (intended) I wasn't being literal, allow a guy some alliterative licence. My point stands: British people are way more dismissive of traditional religion than people in America and the Caribbean. I would question your assertion that most people (apart from the Muslims lol!) in Britain believe in God: most people can't be arsed.

#44 Jan 04, 2018 10:45 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Oh boy you made a right mish mash of that. I cant be Atheist, AND Pagan. Atheist no God. Pagan more often than not many Gods."

Oh for Christ's sake (intended) I wasn't being literal, allow a guy some alliterative licence. My point stands: British people are way more dismissive of traditional religion than people in America and the Caribbean. I would question your assertion that most people (apart from the Muslims lol!) in Britain believe in God: most people can't be arsed.

Dude, do not take the Lords name in vain... your boundary's will be a lot lower than others. Just because mine are even lower doesn't make your laxness acceptable. 

No Argument, Brits generally are heathens of a sort. Probably worse now than when I was paying attention to their shenanigans. But I do stand by my comment, that despite not going to church in a lifetime most will still believe in God. Which means they are very poor at being religious, but it does not make them atheists.

As far as being dismissive... yes... obviously.  If you are religious you believe, and to varying degrees follow the party line. If you are not religious you don't give a flying crap do you.. So obviously they are not going to get hyped up.

#45 Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Exactly as I said: they take pride in insulting "stupid people". My brother, British to the core, once really pissed me off by telling our very Catholic cousin "f*ck god". That's just insulting and arrogant. We must respect each other, and live together as civilized beings. Disagree yes, but without stepping over other people's boundaries. That kind of shit starts wars, and gets you killed.

I would surmise your cousin was a pompous religious Ahole, and your brother was just pushing back... being vexed will bring out the worst in people, as we have seen recently.

Nothing wrong with being religious, THAT does not make you an Ahole, it is the better than thou stupidness that some people develop that makes them the Ahole. IMO.

#46 Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

New Historian
Active

"I would surmise your cousin was a pompous religious Ahole, and your brother was just pushing back"

There you go again, don't know nothing and making insulting assumptions, based solely on your own anti-religions prejudices, which you cannot control. Just because my cousin is very Catholic therefore must also be a pompous religious Ahole, when in fact nothing can be further from the truth. Not being a religious person myself in the least, thats was why I was so pissed off with my brother, for being what you are being right now: a pompous anti-religious Ahole.

#47 Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"I would surmise your cousin was a pompous religious Ahole, and your brother was just pushing back"

There you go again, don't know nothing and making insulting assumptions, based solely on your own anti-religions prejudices, which you cannot control. Just because my cousin is very Catholic therefore must also be a pompous religious Ahole, when in fact nothing can be further from the truth. Not being a religious person myself in the least, thats was why I was so pissed off with my brother, for being what you are being right now: a pompous anti-religious Ahole.

Surmise = a supposition that something may be true, even though there is no evidence to confirm it. It was like saying in Americaneese  "I guess".

In other words I was punting for a reason, I did not state it was the reason, should you have wanted to you could have furnished a reason. There must have been some form of exchange to pre-empt  such vitriol.

Again get with reality. I am not anti religion. I am simply not religious. I am however against much of the hyperbolic rubbish that devotees expect everyone to swallow without question. I challenge, and if anyone has a sensible challenge to my perspective I welcome it. As I stated very early on, and in other threads... just don't start the process with  "in the Bible it says", because I simply only believe around 5% of what is written. As it was either an "interpretation" of mans progress prior to JC's arrival or history using a pop up book. Everything from in the beginning until the New Testament is the result of verbal history put to page. Some parts can be interpreted as Science explained through a non scientific story teller. It has merit, but shouldn't be taken literally as many seem to.

Adams rib was used to make woman... of course it was.

#48 Jan 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Nobody in this thread said that woman was made from Adam's rib or any such nonsense. 

It was argued that there exists a truth, beauty and love that transcends the metaphysical universe.  Why that causes you to spit your anti-religious vitriol is a question best left to your psychoanalyst.

#49 Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Seriously man, what's up with that?  Vanni says that she has suffered horribly in her life but was able to find her way through the pain via her faith in universal love.  Your response?  That her faith is nothing more than a "sickly sweet" rationalization and for what is best understood as a "sadistic and uncaring" false god.   

WTF is the matter with you?  You don't have to agree with the woman but what possesses you to try to steal away her means of finding peace and comfort? 

You are an evangelist of hopelessness and despair.   Why?   Were you abused as a child by a priest or something?

#50 Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Indeed, "thou dost protesteth overmuch"; methinks there mayest be more in the mortar than the pestle.....

Board footer