You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Dec 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Aim

Season's Greetings to all.......................

It took me that long to wonder if I should bother to register etc. etc.

That said I absolutely dislike the new format. It is not a matter of my not liking change but more that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I would rather have the cascading format, and this one requires too much work but the powers that be have decided.

Of course, I guess it does not matter what I think anyway so... lol

#2 Dec 27, 2016 3:22 am

Mt Rich Possi
Active

Re: Season's Greetings to all.......................

All the best for the new Year Aim... Nice to see you back online..

Mt Rich Possi

#3 Dec 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Bamseeboy

Well it does matter what you think, but you must realize, we tried bringing back the old format, but it is antique and dead.  Not ah ting can be done. Aim the old one is dead and buried.

#4 Dec 27, 2016 5:49 pm

gripe
Active

Even if the old format is not possible to bring back, is it possible to place all the posts in an archival format within this new setup so that the host of invaluable topics and opinions shared over the life of the old format can be accessed for as long as Talkshoppers wish to do so? That will be a great compromise, at least for me and hopefully others, given that I/we now have to accept this new format.

#5 Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Webmaster
Administrator

We can look into it but understand, this is all new.  It is a new hosting company, a new server and new Grenadian owners.  The new owners don't necessarily have access to the old servers and it isn't clear that the archives even exist.

As Bamseeboy said, there was an attempt to restore the old software.  The problem was that the software on the other site had updates made over the years to work with servers.  Even it was outdated.

Brian Steele offered to load the original 16 year old software to this server.  That software was the original from the late 1990s.  It would require substantial work to get it back to even the poor condition that it was in before the site went dead in September.  The reality, however, is that the data management software on which it was based in no longer supported by its creator.

It was decided by the new owners that we would deploy this off-the-shelf forum application and this seemed to serve the needs the best.  They realize it represents a change.

They also understand that people were attached to the old software but it is increasingly like trying to get an 8-track tape to play in your iPod.  It's database function is based on software that is no longer supported and it has problems with new browsers.  It was sending too many posts to moderation and was very difficult to keep running.  In fact, the tiny text entry field was a problem of new browsers, not changes to Talkshop.

I want people to understand that the choice to go to this application was not due to stubbornness but out of necessity. I know the new owners wish that people would give this a chance.

For the record, I am not one of the owners.  I am just a web technician.

#6 Dec 28, 2016 1:54 am

gripe
Active

Thanks for your very helpful response! Not being able to get the old data is (would be) a BIG loss. So much about Grenada were discussed apart from so many other regional and international issues.

#7 Dec 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

This sort of forum may be on the way out anyway.  Various social media giants like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and so forth are doing to sites like this what Walmart did to the mom and pop grocery store.

Board footer