You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 16, 2018 7:32 am

Calypso
Active

"Shithole" Nations

As people from the Caribbean, we must take a second glance at Donald Trump's comment on calling African nations and Haiti "shithole nations." He was talking about us too-- nations who are not advanced as Western Europe. Many dark-skinned peoples flood the US escaping poverty and desperation. They migrate out of necessity not out a change in scenery. Logically thinking, Mr. Trump won the election on wanting to make America the best. How can he do so by handing out survival kits? Why can't he take people who are already educated and middle-class. and white? Donald Trump made his point known crudely but their were many Americans, who even though they lashed out, approved of what he said silently. I understood what he is trying to say. You on this forum had taken a similar stance also. When Haitian immigrants were sent to Calivigny island. You were appalled that an already poor nation like Grenada could take in refugees who cannot contribute anything to the society. The reality of the matter is that  we should give all people a chance. The immigrants who migrated to America  from Western Europe during colonial times were poor and were persecuted in many ways. Later, through hard work, industry and knowledge, they made America better!

Last edited by Calypso (Jan 16, 2018 12:14 pm)

#2 Jan 17, 2018 7:24 am

Dancer
Active

Re: "Shithole" Nations

Those comments are all over the place with questionable comparisons  and so-called ' logically thinking'.
So I just want to reply to......
>>>> Mr Trump won the election to make America the best. <<<< ....  the best what ?
>>>> How can he do so by handing out survival kits  ? <<<<  ......  that is so uncaring and no way to win friends and influence people.
What kind of  strength  do you want ?
Power through bullying  and disrespect  OR  power through respect and 'classy' behavior

#3 Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

New Historian
Active

I've been to Haiti, many times, and the truth is: Haiti IS a shithole. But that's not the point, the point is: WHY is Haiti a shithole? WHO made Haiti a shithole? Of course, such history would be way beyond the ability of the moron in the White House to comprehend.

#4 Jan 17, 2018 11:23 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

I've been to Haiti, many times, and the truth is: Haiti IS a shithole.

Maybe but it is still a nasty thing to say.  One shouldn't refer to a man's wife as ugly and his children stupid... even if they are.  It is just bad manners.

#5 Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Furthermore, even if Haiti is a shithole, it doesn't follow that all immigrants from Haiti poor candidates for American citizenship.  In fact, one could argue the opposite quite easily.

#6 Jan 17, 2018 11:29 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I noticed that many of the staff at the hospice where my mom passed were black women with Caribbean accents.  I was too distracted to learn anything about them but they were absolutely, positively angels of mercy.  When my brother broke down crying at one point a large, middle aged Caribbean woman said "come here sweetie" and embraced him completely.  The woman just surrounded him with love.  It looked so warm and comforting I was a bit jealous.

America can never have too many people like her.

#7 Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I noticed that many of the staff at the hospice where my mom passed were black women with Caribbean accents.  I was too distracted to learn anything about them but they were absolutely, positively angels of mercy.  When my brother broke down crying at one point a large, middle aged Caribbean woman said "come here sweetie" and embraced him completely.  The woman just surrounded him with love.  It looked so warm and comforting I was a bit jealous.

America can never have too many people like her.

Well said. Don't get me wrong; my comment was said for shock value: the truth is I've never seen a country so abjectly deprived and destitute as Haiti - and that's saying something! The COUNTRY may be a shithole - but the PEOPLE are amazingly resilient, warm and friendly - despite the obstacles they face on a daily basis, just to survive. The crime rate in Haiti is way lower than Jamaica, and so is the average income.

People who work in hospitals and particularly hospices are a very special breed of human being; I had exactly the same experiences when my beloved brother passed: those people are angels of mercy, every single day.

#8 Jan 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

I've been to Haiti, many times, and the truth is: Haiti IS a shithole. But that's not the point, the point is: WHY is Haiti a shithole? WHO made Haiti a shithole? Of course, such history would be way beyond the ability of the moron in the White House to comprehend.

Haiti is a shithole .. eh ?  I went looking for the meaning of 'shithole' ..... I found NEWSWEEK

>> Trump's America is a shithole country <<   by Danielle Campoamor. <<

#9 Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Lord people, doh shoot the messenger. Haiti is an environmental disaster zone: the trees have all been burned for charcoal (you can see the border with DR from the air), the reefs have died because of the runoff of mud after each rain, the rivers are polluted, the land is polluted and Port-au-Prince is the poorest,saddest and most malodorous city I've ever seen. It is heartbreaking. But this is my point:

WHO MADE HAITI SO? The answer in 3 simple words:

FRANCE
UK
USA

Haiti.jpg

Haiti2013.jpg

P1080041.jpg

P1080063.jpg

P1080078.jpg

P1080158.jpg

#10 Jan 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Vanni
Active

We so need to heal as a humanity. Stop acting as predators on one-sided benefit and starting to function on mutual benefit. I think that our world can be such a better place. We have such a power to do good!

Board footer