You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Expat
Active

Re: "Shithole" Nations

The French maintained slavery AFTER it was abolished in France, and were revolted against. Which is the point Britain played bright. Britain tried to stick it's nose in, but was roundly whooped by the Taussant?   So I don't think including Britain in the mix is really fair. They tried to get involved and might have been just as bad, but they were shellacked.

Years later to enable recognition of the Haitian Government the French had the balls to demand reparations for the lands lost, and the lives lost of the Slaves who fought against them. Haiti put itself in debt to pay off the French demands.

Then some time later the Americans invaded and emptied the Haitian coffers which went to what is now known as CitiBank.

Generally speaking the Haitians have been back scuttled, and have been abused horribly by both France and America. Who now via their wonderful leader have the tenacity to call a country they frigged up a sh_hole.

If ANY country ever deserved reparations Haiti is certainly it.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 17, 2018 9:31 pm)

#12 Jan 17, 2018 11:13 pm

New Historian
Active

"If ANY country ever deserved reparations Haiti is certainly it."

Exactly.

#13 Jan 18, 2018 7:02 am

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Those comments are all over the place with questionable comparisons  and so-called ' logically thinking'.
So I just want to reply to......
>>>> Mr Trump won the election to make America the best. <<<< ....  the best what ?
>>>> How can he do so by handing out survival kits  ? <<<<  ......  that is so uncaring and no way to win friends and influence people.
What kind of  strength  do you want ?
Power through bullying  and disrespect  OR  power through respect and 'classy' behavior

"Haiti" is similar to other Caribbean islands. As peoples from the region, we share commonalities" we are poor island nations who migrate to more advanced nations to better our situation. When people migrate from Western Europe, they usually are not running away from economic situations . They contribute economically to America ( this is how Trump is seeing it).

#14 Jan 18, 2018 7:04 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I noticed that many of the staff at the hospice where my mom passed were black women with Caribbean accents.  I was too distracted to learn anything about them but they were absolutely, positively angels of mercy.  When my brother broke down crying at one point a large, middle aged Caribbean woman said "come here sweetie" and embraced him completely.  The woman just surrounded him with love.  It looked so warm and comforting I was a bit jealous.

America can never have too many people like her.

Tell Trump that for he doesn't see it that way!!

#15 Jan 18, 2018 7:32 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Lord people, doh shoot the messenger. Haiti is an environmental disaster zone: the trees have all been burned for charcoal (you can see the border with DR from the air), the reefs have died because of the runoff of mud after each rain, the rivers are polluted, the land is polluted and Port-au-Prince is the poorest,saddest and most malodorous city I've ever seen. It is heartbreaking. But this is my point:

WHO MADE HAITI SO? The answer in 3 simple words:

FRANCE
UK
USA

https://s10.postimg.org/w5ypw37cl/Haiti.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/6951jzj9x/Haiti2013.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/mk55gd0xh/P1080041.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/pe8attath/P1080063.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/80y0eyn85/P1080078.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/ai9rm7jz9/P1080158.jpg

Forget the glory of Haiti's past! Leadership in the Caribbean region has been poor. Our leaders are treated as puppets on a string-- waiting for handouts from the "white man." That is the reason why many, not all migrate, we cannot sustain ourselves.

#16 Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Dancer wrote:

Those comments are all over the place with questionable comparisons  and so-called ' logically thinking'.
So I just want to reply to......
>>>> Mr Trump won the election to make America the best. <<<< ....  the best what ?
>>>> How can he do so by handing out survival kits  ? <<<<  ......  that is so uncaring and no way to win friends and influence people.
What kind of  strength  do you want ?
Power through bullying  and disrespect  OR  power through respect and 'classy' behavior

"Haiti" is similar to other Caribbean islands. As peoples from the region, we share commonalities" we are poor island nations who migrate to more advanced nations to better our situation. When people migrate from Western Europe, they usually are not running away from economic situations . They contribute economically to America ( this is how Trump is seeing it).

Very skewed idea of history dude.

I guess the Irish getting away from the great famine were not anything to do with poverty? In the earlies just about every migrant was looking to better themselves instead of staying in what were then sh-hole countries.

I would believe Haiti is a bigger basket case than any of its neighbours simply because it was financially raped by France as reparations for fighting for their freedom, and buggered senseless by the Americans when they marched in and emptied the treasury.

The other Islands like Grenada Trinidad etc. were milked, but not raped. They were left with infrastructure... adequate for the day, and they were not left penniless and in debt. They might have had better training in Government, but generally speaking apart from Americas pressure on the WTO to stop banana preferential rates in Europe most of the Island problems are down to economies of scale as they no longer have Colonial support, and sticky fingers. (brief cases)

#17 Jan 18, 2018 7:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Exactly. Haiti is NOTHING like its Caribbean neighbours, veritable paradises by comparison. I don't have to repeat the historical reasons why not: Expat just did it, even more eloquently than I could!!

#18 Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Exactly. Haiti is NOTHING like its Caribbean neighbours, veritable paradises by comparison. I don't have to repeat the historical reasons why not: Expat just did it, even more eloquently than I could!!

Haiti might be nothing like the other Caribbean islands who have more resources but they are not self-sufficient as Western Europe and America and Canada who milk them. They, the other islands, are still dependents in Trump's eyes. Fifty-sixty years after colonialism we haven't found our way; we are still developing. Why is the continent of Africa still a 'shithole' continent? while China, who was once under British rule is advancing? It is because of better leadership. I'd like to see the Caribbean not so dependent for dependency leads to exploitation.

#19 Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

New Historian
Active

"They, the other islands, are still dependents in Trump's eyes."

You know what? F*CK Trump, I don't give a rat's foreskin what that ignoramus thinks of us. That's nothing compared to the utter contempt with which I hold him, and his ilk. And you know what too? We're not shitholes, basket cases, nor aid-dependent failures. In fact, the Caribbean gets VERY little aid: the UK's aid to the Caribbean in 2016 amounted to a grand total of 2.77 pounds per capita. That's "dependency"? We could do better, a lot better, but we aren't doing THAT badly; we're not, actually, shitholes. If we're such shitholes, why do so many thousands of "expats" flock here?

#20 Jan 19, 2018 12:55 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

"They, the other islands, are still dependents in Trump's eyes."

You know what? F*CK Trump, I don't give a rat's foreskin what that ignoramus thinks of us. That's nothing compared to the utter contempt with which I hold him, and his ilk. And you know what too? We're not shitholes, basket cases, nor aid-dependent failures. In fact, the Caribbean gets VERY little aid: the UK's aid to the Caribbean in 2016 amounted to a grand total of 2.77 pounds per capita. That's "dependency"? We could do better, a lot better, but we aren't doing THAT badly; we're not, actually, shitholes. If we're such shitholes, why do so many thousands of "expats" flock here?

For the warm sunshine and cheap sex! (laughing)

Board footer