You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Jan 19, 2018 5:43 am

Mary Seacole/deportees
Active

Re: "Shithole" Nations

Calypso wrote:

As people from the Caribbean, we must take a second glance at Donald Trump's comment on calling African nations and Haiti "shithole nations." He was talking about us too-- nations who are not advanced as Western Europe. Many dark-skinned peoples flood the US escaping poverty and desperation. They migrate out of necessity not out a change in scenery. Logically thinking, Mr. Trump won the election on wanting to make America the best. How can he do so by handing out survival kits? Why can't he take people who are already educated and middle-class. and white? Donald Trump made his point known crudely but their were many Americans, who even though they lashed out, approved of what he said silently. I understood what he is trying to say. You on this forum had taken a similar stance also. When Haitian immigrants were sent to Calivigny island. You were appalled that an already poor nation like Grenada could take in refugees who cannot contribute anything to the society. The reality of the matter is that  we should give all people a chance. The immigrants who migrated to America  from Western Europe during colonial times were poor and were persecuted in many ways. Later, through hard work, industry and knowledge, they made America better!

They should put Trump on neighbors that spread false rumours blog because they are physco  He is childish dont come across like he understand any others, and think it is aright to say  his personal feelings . He is a hypocrite .

He is the sort that will call his neighbour a skin head who should not see inside his house and next time sombody come to tell you careful this man is a physco. I see him drinking with the neighbor and to make it worst he told the neighbor is Grenadians said that.  He wants to stop Hillary progress he is the sort but when God say yes a person like that can't say no.
Nobody give themselves a reference this is how sick people like him is. They waste their own time  talking sheat and could never see themselves.  People like these Poor soul will never change . I will read about Trump and his likes on the blog neighbors who spread rumours and lies.  The Devil put Trump where he is this is the difference in Trump and Obama.  Never can be a comparison between some people.  He can class himself with the devil not good people dont matter  how he try to  class himself with them .  Some people are like that they try to class themselves with  good folks
Trump like to take a walk on the dark side mot good to know certain things you become a danger.

#22 Jan 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

Those comments are all over the place with questionable comparisons  and so-called ' logically thinking'.
So I just want to reply to......
>>>> Mr Trump won the election to make America the best. <<<< ....  the best what ?
>>>> How can he do so by handing out survival kits  ? <<<<  ......  that is so uncaring and no way to win friends and influence people.
What kind of  strength  do you want ?
Power through bullying  and disrespect  OR  power through respect and 'classy' behavior

Thanks for posting something on this thread or it would have gone unnoticed. You know that many of the men on this forum are sexist and there is anti- Jamaican sentiments. Anyway, I went to the women's rally on Central Park West today. There were lots of anti-Trump people who turned out. The pickets had some powerful words: " A vagina brought you into this world and a vagina is going to take you out."  Dancer, Trump might not last and he shouldn't!

#23 Jan 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Dancer
Active

' Well what do you know , it is all not hot air , Calypso protest  . '
Nice .
Out in the cold , sharp ,  January air  , sucking up   some people standing up . cool.

" Wine time ! lo.

#24 Jan 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

On the other hand Haiti shouldn't take it personally.  Trump spent the better part of the last decade claiming the United States is a shithole country.

#25 Jan 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

On the other hand Haiti shouldn't take it personally.  Trump spent the better part of the last decade claiming the United States is a shithole country.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-america-s … try-780888

Based on the statistics given in Newsweek, America has many issues despite being one of the richest countries in the world. Our education is not reputable. Healthcare could be better, Poverty rate is at 41 million, etc, etc,. Are we a shithole country compared to other European nations? You be the judge!!

#26 Jan 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Calypso wrote:

Are we a shithole country compared to other European nations? You be the judge!!

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.  I was born poor white trash but have been given the means to rise above it.  I have been blessed and for that I am truly grateful.  I have lived "the American dream".

I have traveled through Europe and found things there that seem better than in the US and things that seem worse.   

Making a broad and generalized statement, I'd say it is easier to get the basics in Europe but much more difficult to realize your full potential.  Again, that is a generalization but it is one with which my Swiss brother-in-law agrees.  He loves his homeland but wanted his son to be raised in the US because in the US you can be whatever you want to be and recreate yourself over and over.

Now, I found Switzerland to something of a paradise with an average standard of living that his greater than in the US.  This was not lost on me.  I don't, however, discount the opinion of my successful and highly educated brother-in-law (Two PhD degrees).

The reality is that there is no easy answer as to which is better.  There does, however, seem to be trade-off.  A country that values equality of outcome will need to sacrifice some opportunity for success.  A country that wants an environment of opportunity will necessarily need to sacrifice equality.

Reasonable people can disagree on which is the best approach.

#27 Jan 22, 2018 5:45 am

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Calypso wrote:

Are we a shithole country compared to other European nations? You be the judge!!

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.  I was born poor white trash but have been given the means to rise above it.  I have been blessed and for that I am truly grateful.  I have lived "the American dream".

I have traveled through Europe and found things there that seem better than in the US and things that seem worse.   

Making a broad and generalized statement, I'd say it is easier to get the basics in Europe but much more difficult to realize your full potential.  Again, that is a generalization but it is one with which my Swiss brother-in-law agrees.  He loves his homeland but wanted his son to be raised in the US because in the US you can be whatever you want to be and recreate yourself over and over.

Now, I found Switzerland to something of a paradise with an average standard of living that his greater than in the US.  This was not lost on me.  I don't, however, discount the opinion of my successful and highly educated brother-in-law (Two PhD degrees).

The reality is that there is no easy answer as to which is better.  There does, however, seem to be trade-off.  A country that values equality of outcome will need to sacrifice some opportunity for success.  A country that wants an environment of opportunity will necessarily need to sacrifice equality.

Reasonable people can disagree on which is the best approach.

"America the Beautiful "is for the greedy and the strong! Its Free Enterprise system gives us control of our destiny. We really reap what we sew.  Yet, despite our success we have forgotten that life must be led with dignity. Our health care, childcare, pension, education, affordable housing, etc, etc. are horrible! We don't care about life; only about making money!!

#28 Jan 22, 2018 8:31 am

Slice
Active

Calypso wrote:

As people from the Caribbean, we must take a second glance at Donald Trump's comment on calling African nations and Haiti "shithole nations." He was talking about us too-- nations who are not advanced as Western Europe. Many dark-skinned peoples flood the US escaping poverty and desperation. They migrate out of necessity not out a change in scenery. Logically thinking, Mr. Trump won the election on wanting to make America the best. How can he do so by handing out survival kits? Why can't he take people who are already educated and middle-class. and white? Donald Trump made his point known crudely but their were many Americans, who even though they lashed out, approved of what he said silently. I understood what he is trying to say. You on this forum had taken a similar stance also. When Haitian immigrants were sent to Calivigny island. You were appalled that an already poor nation like Grenada could take in refugees who cannot contribute anything to the society. The reality of the matter is that  we should give all people a chance. The immigrants who migrated to America  from Western Europe during colonial times were poor and were persecuted in many ways. Later, through hard work, industry and knowledge, they made America better!

I think ah understand the way, you are going with you argument.  I am going to take RD side here and also kinda agree with NH. Here is something that is not talked much, folks from Israel are just as bad and in most cases are also ah drag on the American economy. I once lived in a part of Baltimore city off a street called Parks Heights, half of the folks that reside in a certain part of Park Heights are Jews and more than 80% are on Welfare.  Everyone of these folks have more than five kids and neither parents are working.

I once took my mother to Social security building in that area, and 90% of the  folks that are in dey were Jews seeking ah hand out.

Ass Hole Trump statement was simple racist and also misguided..

#29 Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Calypso
Active

Slice wrote:
Calypso wrote:

I think ah understand the way, you are going with you argument.  I am going to take RD side here and also kinda agree with NH. Here is something that is not talked much, folks from Israel are just as bad and in most cases are also ah drag on the American economy. I once lived in a part of Baltimore city off a street called Parks Heights, half of the folks that reside in a certain part of Park Heights are Jews and more than 80% are on Welfare.  Everyone of these folks have more than five kids and neither parents are working.

I once took my mother to Social security building in that area, and 90% of the  folks that are in dey were Jews seeking ah hand out.

Ass Hole Trump statement was simple racist and also misguided..

We all know that Trump I the "shithole."  As for Jews and welfare, that's long being known. They are white and are backed by white America so they will get away with it,

Board footer