You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Expat
Active

Now I know why Americans, and by degrees the rst of us are getting fat

Just watched a UTube about making perfect MacD french fries.

Lots of phaphing about I wont bore you with, but one key point was after a dunk in boiling water they were soaked for 10 minutes in a heavily laced bowl with a whopping amount of Corn Syrup, (you know, the stuff RD reckons is no worse than anything else), and a large slug or granulated sugar in water.

So, like I said previously, all kinds of food get laced with sugars.... even chips...... madness.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 19, 2018 9:43 pm)

#2 Jan 19, 2018 10:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Now I know why Americans, and by degrees the rst of us are getting fat

NO ONE puts more sugar in food than Bajans - in everything!

#3 Jan 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is sugar.  It should be used in moderation but it us just sugar.

#4 Jan 20, 2018 8:17 am

Expat
Active

Correct it is a form of sugar, but it sweeter than regular sugar, and as a result adding it to all kinds of foods you would not imagine..... Chips/French fries for goodness sake as an example..... it makes that food more addictive. As stated previously it is cheaper to use in manufacturing, so companies like CoCoCola could just use less for the same result, but no they use more for the same cost and make their product addictive.
Regardless we don't need it in our diet, whether super sweet Corn syrup, or regular sugar. We the people of the World are not designed or intended to eat such vast quantities of sugar. We are intended to convert foods into sugar within our own bodies, not overwhelm it by importing additional sugars.

Our livers are not able to cope. Where the genes are predispositioned, and where we have intentionally or unintentionally due to food additives gorged on sugars.... natural or otherwise.... we are prone to succumb to the latest plage... DIABETES.

I believe corn syrup was originated somewhere back in the 60's as a way for farmers/manufacturers to utilize crop excesses, saving waste and losses, then Corn Syrup was developed to help use up the over production, and then whammo whoopie we have a winner, lets overproduce even more, and poison the public. Great idea.

#5 Jan 20, 2018 8:19 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

NO ONE puts more sugar in food than Bajans - in everything!

That is probably why one in ten deaths since 1980 in Barbados is diabetes related.......

Grenada Diabetes

http://www.who.int/diabetes/country-profiles/grd_en.pdf

Barbados Diabetes

http://www.who.int/diabetes/country-profiles/brb_en.pdf

Grenada not so bad, but too high, and there seems to be a trend that the women are generally more overweight and obese than the men.

I tried to get a similar pie chart for the UK, but wasn't successful.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 20, 2018 8:47 am)

#6 Jan 20, 2018 8:24 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

Lots of phaphing about I wont bore you with, but one key point was after a dunk in boiling water they were soaked for 10 minutes in a heavily laced bowl with a whopping amount of Corn Syrup, (you know, the stuff RD reckons is no worse than anything else), and a large slug or granulated sugar in water.

So, like I said previously, all kinds of food get laced with sugars.... even chips...... madness.

https://renewbariatrics.com/obesity-rank-by-countries/

Despite all the health consciousness and the spas and the gymnasiums Americans remain the FATTEST!!!!

#7 Jan 20, 2018 8:55 am

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

https://renewbariatrics.com/obesity-rank-by-countries/

Despite all the health consciousness and the spas and the gymnasiums Americans remain the FATTEST!!!!

I note from your link that the UK is fatter by percentage than Grenada....

#8 Jan 20, 2018 9:59 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It gets used in the US to such a great degree because sugar cane sugar has huge import tariffs and has since the 1960s.  Get rid of those and it would change.

#9 Jan 20, 2018 11:28 am

Expat
Active

Do you really think the farmers would stop churning out miles of corn fields..... Nah, never appen.

As you say it is just a form of sugar..... but you have it by the ton load, and it sweeter than regular sugar, why would anyone who likes their bank account stop churning it out so someone else can sell their product?

#10 Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Corn sugar would be less competitive without the import barriers to sugar cane.  Other uses of corn would become more competitive and corn sugar use would be reduced.  All in all, sugar cane is almost universally agreed to be better tasting than corn sugar.  Everyone I have ever met who bakes their own treats prefers cane sugar.

Industry like Coca Cola and McDonalds would see a significant increase in costs to use cane sugar so corn sugar is used.

Speaking of Coca Cola; there is a market in the US for Coca Cola imported from Mexico.  It costs more than domestic Coke but, since Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar, it tastes better.  People will pay for that.

At the end of the day, corn sugar is no more unhealthy than cane sugar.  The problem isn't the type of sugar.  The problem is huge consumption levels.

Board footer