You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 24, 2018 10:43 pm

New Historian
Active

If ever there was a "duh" conclusion: open carry increases gun crime

But of course, RD will counter with his one counterfactual: Iowa has lots of guns but few murders. Well bully for Iowa, pity the other 49 states aren't so saintly.

https://www.salon.com/2018/01/24/right- … -surprise/

#2 Jan 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If ever there was a "duh" conclusion: open carry increases gun crime

I am not a fan of open carry.  I am also not a fan of Salon.

#3 Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Expat
Active

Open carry is like walking round St Georges with a Gleaming Cutlass.

I know in reality even a brand new one has to be wrapped from the shop.... but just for arguments sake humour me.

Whether an AR15 over your shoulder, or a Glock 19 dangling from a tactical holster on your thigh it aint a good look.

Gun handling in the USA seems generally to be quite irresponsible,  hence children playing with them with predictable results.

But if you are going to possess a gun there are plenty of ways to conceal which means that the final choice of how things evolve is down to the person carrying. There are idiots in all fields of life, so I guess stupid deaths will occur, but by the same token stupid deaths may be prevented by one party finding they are not the only one armed?

The same way that having guns tucked away in night stands all day, or casually left around the house is dumb, so is having one, and then as the linked article suggests having it locked in the safe. It's no bloody use there.... if it was intended as a defence method.  Hang on mr robber with a cutlass I'll just pop over to the safe and load my gun, rack it and point it at you. Hellloooowwwww Mr La Qua.

#4 Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I see no reason for open carry 99 percent of the time.  If you can't conceal it, don't carry it.  And keep the damned thing locked up when you aren't carrying it.

#5 Jan 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Expat
Active

Yes and no... from my perspective... If you mean locked up when you are not wandering around with it yes, but lock it up when you might have a home invasion?

I know of at least one that happened here to a guy that had a gun in the safe, and it's more luck than judgement that it didn't end very badly. He had been able to get a message to his Wife who was at the beach that she should not return at any cost... So what does she do... fortunately after it was all over, but just imagine walking in on that.

#6 Jan 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have one of those hand print safes.  It opens for my hand only.  I put my hand in the indentation on the top and door pops open.

#7 Jan 25, 2018 8:50 am

New Historian
Active

People like RD owning guns is fine: they are professionals who know how to use them. You need a licence to drive a car, a boat and probably even a lawn mower, but fools can get WMDs without knowing the first thing about using them. In sane.

#8 Jan 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I have one of those hand print safes.  It opens for my hand only.  I put my hand in the indentation on the top and door pops open.

So, it goes... Oh Sheite, hope this wonderful safe is where you are, put hand in Bang Bang Bang... Damn, I guess the safe wasn't such a good idea after all.

Obviously the safe with kinky features is just as good as any other safe... if its the right time to lock the gun away.... but can you know when you won't need it? Intruders do not send you an msm to let you know they are coming.

#9 Jan 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

People like RD owning guns is fine: they are professionals who know how to use them. You need a licence to drive a car, a boat and probably even a lawn mower, but fools can get WMDs without knowing the first thing about using them. In sane.

As long as idiots buy guns or steal them I am happy if they don't know how to use them. Having watched a Utube where some punk shoots at a kid about 7-10 times in the back of the bus from about 10 feet away, and runs off... the kid that was shot at had not one injury.... result.

I expect that if either RD or I drop one on you, one is all it would take. Stress situation or not. Which makes ownership more of a burden, as like Karate experts who can be charged for using a lethal weapon, as a skilled/trained shooter you have less excuses. You have to be aware of your rights, the other persons rights, the location, and the possibilities of avoiding lethal force. The rule in Grenada is if you could have avoided it.. even if it means running away... you should, Otherwise you are more likely to be up for murder than self defence.

#10 Jan 25, 2018 10:26 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have a 12 year old son and three grandchildren under age 9.  I must keep my guns under lock and key.

Board footer