You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jan 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Judge Crossed Line in Sentencing Nassar: EVIL, on a Bench, In a Robe!

New Historian wrote:

Whereas she may not have spoken "judgely" and in fact may have given him a SMALL opening to appeal, she is not an automaton, she is a human being, a female human being, with feelings, and no one can hold her harsh words against her. NO appeal judge will EVER let that animal out. Unfortunately Expat is wrong, the prison system protects perverts, or "nonces" in England. Sadly, what happened to Jeffrey Dahmer hardly ever happens, because of the millions spent to keep them apart from gen-pop. You may very well ask: why?

But this thread is to do with America... why bring the UK into it in that way?

#12 Jan 31, 2018 3:10 pm

New Historian
Active

How is it bringing UK into it because I mention that in the UK pervs are called nonces? Boy you just love to cause eh? Take a chill pill and chill.

#13 Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm

New Historian
Active

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42894833

TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY-FIVE abuse cases??? And people upset because the judge was "rude" to him? Get a grip.

#14 Jan 31, 2018 4:25 pm

gripe
Active

New Historian, you are totally out of your league to say that, regarding that rogue judge, "no one can hold her harsh words against her." The legal profession requires that a judge has to be impartial. Here is just one sense of the decorum, ethical, that that out-of-order judge violated:

"In Michigan, as in every other state, there is a Code of Judicial Conduct that is supposed to guide the work of state judges. To cite just one provision, Canon 2, Section B, says this:

A judge should respect and observe the law. At all times, the conduct and manner of a judge should promote public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary. Without regard to a person’s race, gender, or other protected personal characteristic, a judge should treat every person fairly, with courtesy and respect."

The above excerpt is taken from an article in the "New Republic" titled "Judging Larry Nassar", found here: https://newrepublic.com/article/146765/ … rry-nassar

The author of the article went on to state:

"At what point did this judge comply with this obligation? How often during the course of the hearing did she treat Nassar “with courtesy and respect”? How often, as she encouraged the victims to tell their stories, did she “promote public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary”? I followed the case. I followed the hearing. The impression I got was that the judge was using the forum to strive for some sort of cathartic awakening on behalf of Nassar’s victims and victims of sexual assault more broadly. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s a noble cause. But there is no place for that in an American courtroom, no matter how much we acknowledge that victims should have a significant role in sentencing. No judge in America should play the role of advocate for victims or prosecutors. No judge in America can play that role if we are to respect our rule of law."

Even before those comments, the author observed that:

"To her discredit, Judge Aquilina abdicated her role as an impartial arbiter and became instead a tribune for prosecutors and the victims. She did this by showing relentless hostility and anger toward Nassar. She did this by throwing away or ripping up a letter the defendant had written to the court. She did this by playing to the media in a way that left little doubt about her sympathy for the victims and her disdain for the defendant. She did this by treating Nassar as if he were something far less than an American entitled to all of the constitutional protections of a fair tribunal. She did this by icily saying, “I just signed your death warrant” when she sentenced him."

Did you note the characterization: "To her discredit . . ."?

So, New Historian, your claim that, as to the judge, "no one can hold her harsh words against her" makes no sense, factually or legally!

Your apology for the judge that she is human fails because, like Nassar, she had rules to follow that she threw to the wind because she felt justified in so doing. You are well aware that there are consequences for such individualistic, 'I-say-so-and-can-do-so-attitude-because-I-am-a-judge'.

No, New Historian, the judge cannot do as she felt because she is human.

That same "No" applies to Nassar for his crimes; he deserves his punishment.

But, that judge also needs to be rightfully put in her place for her self-righteousness. (I have to listen to her pontifications again to see if, at some point, she also may have claimed that she is a god, or, is God.) Some folks are just full of themselves!

#15 Jan 31, 2018 4:29 pm

New Historian
Active

That's the problem with lawyers: had their emotion genes surgically removed. That's why I gave up law after 12 months: when my friends tell me "I never ask a client if he did it - I don't want to know." To them it's all a game; to me it's not. My bad.

#16 Jan 31, 2018 6:36 pm

gripe
Active

More specifically, New Historian, the problem is with lawyer/judge Aquilina! You will notice, however, that her problem is the reverse of your criticism that lawyers "had their emotion genes surgically removed."

Judge Aquilina needs to check her emotions; she hurts her judicial role by being too free wheeling (defined, here, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freewheeling, as "free or loose in style or manner: not held back by rules, duties or worries: not controlled or limited"). That is not a good thing!

#17 Jan 31, 2018 6:41 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes, automaton.

#18 Jan 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

How is it bringing UK into it because I mention that in the UK pervs are called nonces? Boy you just love to cause eh? Take a chill pill and chill.

? but why bring it in in the first place?

>>Unfortunately Expat is wrong, the prison system protects perverts,<< etc... I was wrong in what way. I wasn't referring to anything from the UK. You introduce the UK and then say I am wrong? Lay of the Dopamine matey.

#19 Jan 31, 2018 10:44 pm

New Historian
Active

Let me repeat because obviously you've got a bad dose of UK-itis, probably due to your moniker. Did I say that only the UK prisons protect their pervert prisoners? USA prisons separate prisoners like Dahmer and this latest one from gen-pop, for "their own protection. Please tell me what this has to to with the UK. I think you are suffering from a severe case of homesickness and read UK into any comment. Pardon me for mentioning, en passant, that in the UK pervs are called nonces. Stick to the point Expat, stop thinking that every comment that tangentially mentions the two letters U and K has anything to do with your good old Blighty. Twit.

#20 Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Let me repeat because obviously you've got a bad dose of UK-itis, probably due to your moniker. Did I say that only the UK prisons protect their pervert prisoners? USA prisons separate prisoners like Dahmer and this latest one from gen-pop, for "their own protection. Please tell me what this has to to with the UK. I think you are suffering from a severe case of homesickness and read UK into any comment. Pardon me for mentioning, en passant, that in the UK pervs are called nonces. Stick to the point Expat, stop thinking that every comment that tangentially mentions the two letters U and K has anything to do with your good old Blighty. Twit.

Well, finally I can see where your poorly written comment was going. For someone who supposedly writes all these anecdotes it was confusingly written to put it mildly. the focus of the sentence jumps.Perhaps the writer knew why, but this reader at least didn't.

>>Unfortunately Expat is wrong, the prison system protects perverts, or "nonces" in England.<<

Maybe?  Unfortunately Expat is wrong with his assertion that he will be targeted by the prison populace. Both in America where these creeps are called perverts, and in England where they are colloquially known as nonces, they tend to be in isolated from the general population.

Board footer