You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

New Historian
Active

A question for gun owners

A friend of mine put this on Facebook:

So here’s my question for everyone who owns a handgun in the USA: have you ever had to really use it, really, for self-defense? Ever? Think about how long you’ve had that gun, or guns, how many times has it come in handy to save your life? I’ll bet money that the answer for the vast majority of every hand gun owner is zero - which means you’re all scared of nothing, a bunch of cowards, who do nothing politically about gun violence because of your fear - mean while 30,000 Americans die from guns each year. You don’t need that handgun; sell it.

#2 Jan 29, 2018 10:30 am

Slice
Active

Re: A question for gun owners

Sell it to who?  You made ah great point, but why sell it, instead of destroying it?

#3 Jan 29, 2018 10:36 am

New Historian
Active

Good point

#4 Jan 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Question for potential burglars and other home invaders.  Have you ever been apprehensive or even frightened at the prospect of entering a home and decided against doing it because you feared that the homeowner could justifiably kill you for doing so?

The answer in study after study of convicts is "yes".  Everyday thousands of potential home invasions are prevented by the presence of handguns that never get touched.   

It should be common sense that the presence of legal firearms in homes, in and of itself, acts as a deterrent to home invasions.  Hell, since home invaders don't know which houses have guns and which don't, my gun protects my neighbor who doesn't have one. 

If my neighbor would dispute that, I would invite him to put a sign in his yard stating that there are no guns in his house and, therefore, none can be used.  Of course he won't do that because he knows that the fact that he may have one is likely to deter potential home invaders.

#5 Jan 29, 2018 3:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Good counter questions. No simple answers.

#6 Jan 29, 2018 4:19 pm

New Historian
Active

But numbers don't lie:

Gun_deaths.jpg

#7 Jan 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It stands to reason that a nation without cars would have no automobile deaths and a nation without guns would have no firearms deaths.

The reality, however, is that violent crime overall has been falling in the US for some time.

191219.png

Meanwhile...

Gun-Ownership-Chart.png

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jan 29, 2018 6:42 pm)

#8 Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm

New Historian
Active

First graph: yaay

Second graph: huh?

#9 Jan 30, 2018 10:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, the second graph doesn't mean there are fewer guns.  It means there are fewer households with guns.  I think it is primarily due to urbanization.  Rural people almost all have guns in the home.  Urban people much less so.

#10 Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Slice
Active

A good Guard dog, will do the same, and there ent ah chance that Guard dog will turn around and kill  his owner.

Board footer