You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jan 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Expat
Active

Re: A question for gun owners

Slice wrote:

A good Guard dog, will do the same, and there ent ah chance that Guard dog will turn around and kill  his owner.

You are 100% wrong on the second point, and only partially right on the first.

Obviously a miniature poodle would be hard pressed to kill you, but neither would it deter a midget with intent to steal.

Not so long ago I remember an owner with a lovely dog that ripped her throat out. It just needs the right trigger for a dog to revert to wolf.

#12 Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm

New Historian
Active

"It just needs the right trigger for a dog to revert to wolf."

Bollocks. Of the billions of dogs, the world loses its mind over the half dozen or so who go apeshit on their owners, probably caused by the owners themselves. My dogs may bite a stranger who encroaches onto their turf - not might, will - but me? Never. Love your dog and your dog will love you back.

#13 Jan 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

A good Guard dog, will do the same, and there ent ah chance that Guard dog will turn around and kill  his owner.

You are fooling yourself pal. A guard dog in particular.

Maybe NH doesn't see the news where children have had their faces ripped off, by sweet cuddly family pets.

#14 Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

New Historian
Active

Fake news lol

#15 Jan 31, 2018 8:58 am

Slice
Active

Ok Expat, lets compare the amount of dogs who have killed or hurt their owners and the amount of guns who have killed their owners.  those comparison will be tilted ah billion to one.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 … act-check/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog … ted_States

Last edited by Slice (Jan 31, 2018 9:05 am)

#16 Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I have both guns and a 100 pound dog.  The guns are a hell of a lot easier to care for than is the dog.  Of course the dog is a wonderful companion and the guns just objects. 

As in all things, there are trade-offs.

#17 Jan 31, 2018 11:51 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The reality is that I live in a pretty safe area and don't really need guns or a dog to protect me.  My guns are mostly kept locked in a safe and the big dog is a labradoodle with a deafening bark and no bite at all.

I have had guns all my life.  I have been around them since birth and, as a soldier, they were always there.  That's the way it has been for me so I see them not as a threat.   My experience with guns is so radically different from what goes on in the streets of the cities that it isn't even meaningful to compare the situations.

I don't trust government.  That should not be a surprise to anyone.  I didn't trust it under Obama and I don't trust it under Trump.  A government that came to take away my guns would really make me nervous.  Sure, good governments like Australia take away guns but so do bad governments like Nazi Germany.

Any government that allows the citizenry to be armed is a government that respects the freedom of its citizens. SOME - not all - governments that take away guns take them away because it fears the people and wants to suppress them.

It feels like as long as people like me are allowed to be armed, tyranny is being held at bay.  When government starts disarming citizens - even the 'gentry' like me - there is reasonable cause to be nervous.

#18 Jan 31, 2018 2:03 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Fake news lol

On Fox News maybe, but not the BBC.

#19 Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Expat
Active

All joking aside I can respect RD's comfort with them, and also NH's fear, especially if I remember correctly NH's Brother was it? playing around with one in his face. That was TOO stupid.

However as RD repeatedly says or at least I interpret... when the crims stop using them it will be time for the innocent people to stop wanting them to protect themselves.

If NH is happy to gamble that he will be one of the 300 million that never had cause to need one and will not have regrets when he becomes on of the 50 million who get robbed/raped/burgled/car jacked/murdered etc etc by those crims that believe they should have the upper hand, then good luck to him.

But don't try to stop other people from protecting themselves.

With all the silly comparisons that abound try this one.  There are millions of seat belts fitted in cars, and trillions of miles driven in the USA alone. Seat Belts may actually save just a few thousand in the course of a year, (some will even claim lives have been lost BECAUSE of wearing them in certain circumstances) but it is still compulsory for ALL to wear.

More lives might be saved if there were better regulation, but the USA is so far down the road it is long past sensibly curbing ownership. In the UK there are hundreds of thousands of legally held weapons. Which are used by enthusiasts who never put even a toe out of line with the Law. I have 2 close relatives who have a brace of shotguns each. I know plenty of people who hold multiple firearms who wouldn't say boo to a goose, it is a hobby/sport, and collecting is part of it.

These are not the guns utilised in the 10% EXTRA gun crime last year in the UK. Those guns probably were smuggled in from Poland and other similar countries. It is the criminals NH needs to talk to, and they aint listening,

#20 Jan 31, 2018 3:09 pm

New Historian
Active

"if I remember correctly NH's Brother was it? playing around with one in his face. That was TOO stupid."

Huh? Are you talking about kids fooling around with a BB gun? No one played around with one in his face, one brother shot the other in the hand. With a BB gun.

I repeat: gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves, or their children shoot themselves, like my brother, than they ever are to fire it in anger. Way more likely. Or have it stolen by a thief, who WILL use it in anger. On you.

Shotguns for hunting are a world apart from handguns for ....

"Excuse me mister tief, hang on a sec while I get my gun out of the safe, now what was that combination again?"

Board footer