You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 02, 2017 8:50 am

Expat
Active

Seems to me

That the idea of aggregating all the topics into Ol talk is having one effect.

It is turning TS into Alter boys personal posting space.

As you look down the historical progression, one or two posters .... principally those closest involved, plus a couple of the old guard are posting, but the beat of Alter boys drum is making the first page look more and more like the appendices of a prayer book....

Better change the heading to prayer group.

I shall take no satisfaction in the total demise of what with a few little hiccups was a vibrant stage for discourse. But it seems to me that unless a previously interested party can be persuaded to put in a few hours work to revamp the apparently outdated format TS is only being utilised by the very closely connected, and a zealot.

I would not blame that party if they didn't take up the challenge, as they have been sorely abused over the last decade, which is poor thanks for the work they put in, but I hope they may reconsider and resurrect TS.

#2 Jan 02, 2017 9:40 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Seems to me

The new format does seem to be a failure.  That said, I think the heyday of Talkshop is passed.  When I first came to this domain in 2002, there was no Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.   

I suspect that, old format or new, the whole paradigm of the small stand-alone Internet talk forum is dying.  I remember Talkshop as a far more interesting and dynamic place in, say, 2005 than it was in 2015.   

So, yeah, this new configuration does not seem to be well received.  I am not sure that resurrecting the old one, however, would return us to the halcyon days of the old Talkshop.  The small mom-and-pop web forum just can't compete with the big box sites. 

It may just be over.

#3 Jan 02, 2017 9:46 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There are a dozen Grenada based groups on Facebook alone.

#4 Jan 02, 2017 9:48 am

Real Distwalker
Active

My blog gets about 3,000 hits a day but is stays alive because of a dedicated group of about 25 who talk to each other every day.  They have become friends.  They wouldn't care what the format was.  Their relationships are larger than the software.  Talkshop, if it ever had that, doesn't seem to anymore.

#5 Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Expat
Active

I think TS has been cyclical apart from a few intense moments in it's history.  There have been times when under the old banner it was as dead as a doornail for a week or so, and then some topic came up which got the ball rolling again.

What may have occurred is that we have had overkill with Trump, not enough on Island input as to current affairs, which is what the venue seemed to be for, and the fact that there were vastly more peepers than contributors, as is illuminated by the existing user list which has plenty of names in it. Plus as you say there are competing sites. Which is a constant theme with Grenada.... One person has a good idea, and can flourish. Then the brain dead realise there is a viable business, or contact medium, so they open up in competition being very clever.... only to kill the goose that laid the golden egg when there is not enough to go round.

Combine that with same ol same ol, as we pretty much know each others perspective, and maybe it was on it's last legs anyway.

Personally I feel sorry for those who have put their money where their mouth is to keep the ship afloat, only to be cast adrift without a sea anchor by those that have done nothing but use and abuse. Plus we have an indebtedness to those that have taken the trouble to become involved behind the scenes.

I continue to hope this may just be a post election slump, and that either the old format gets revamped, or that enough folk participate to make it viable. Long lines of psalms for the day would just be the last nervous twitches of the body as the spirit leaves.

You may well know what amount of hits TS gets now, but I am guessing that with a name including Revo in it you will get a lot of curious folk simply wanting to see what your site is intent on tearing down.

Last edited by Expat (Jan 02, 2017 5:18 pm)

#6 Jan 02, 2017 5:25 pm

gripe
Active

RD, you could have stuck solely to the format change issue as a/the likely reason for Talkshop's slow demise, as Expat so succinctly noted (as much as I did over the past few weeks and were tempted to post the unfortunate fact that there were OH so few contributions to the forum). There was no need to suggest that, compared to your blog, Talkshop does not foster much "relationships" to keep it vibrant. Talkshop has cultivated great camaraderie over the years! But, yet, even as I comment on what has happened to Talkshop, there is a slight pain and a deep longing for Talkshop of yesteryear!

#7 Jan 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I have been a Talkshop regular since 2002.  I know a thing or two about it.

The new format may be the proximate cause of its demise but I think that it is just the proximate cause.  I think it was on life-support before the change but kept alive out of habit.  The habit was broken with the new format.

Gripe, I know there are relationships here.  I have met several Talkshoppers in real life and have ongoing relationships outside the forum.  There is nothing on my blog that doesn't exist here.

Frankly, my blog is going through a change too.  It isn't pro-Trump and it lost regulars as a result.  So it goes...

#8 Jan 03, 2017 4:36 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The new format does seem to be a failure.  That said, I think the heyday of Talkshop is passed.  When I first came to this domain in 2002, there was no Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.   

I suspect that, old format or new, the whole paradigm of the small stand-alone Internet talk forum is dying.  I remember Talkshop as a far more interesting and dynamic place in, say, 2005 than it was in 2015.   

So, yeah, this new configuration does not seem to be well received.  I am not sure that resurrecting the old one, however, would return us to the halcyon days of the old Talkshop.  The small mom-and-pop web forum just can't compete with the big box sites. 

It may just be over.

Agree, and shame really cos TS was a real little family - including all the squabbles and sibling rivalries lol! I particularly liked seeing immediately which posts had garnered the most replies, and jump right in lol!

#9 Jan 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Agree, and shame really cos TS was a real little family - including all the squabbles and sibling rivalries lol! I particularly liked seeing immediately which posts had garnered the most replies, and jump right in lol!

It really bums me out but time marches on.  I will keep checking here in case somebody has something interesting to say. Or, you know, an insult to toss... You know.  For old time's sake.  :-)

#10 Jan 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Board footer