You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 15, 2018 11:02 am

Expat
Active

Re: English Sports

Well, as you will have already told us Britain is a land of mongrels, so pick an image and anything will fit.

This alamy stock photo might be closer.

stereotypical-englishman-eating-english-breakfast-and-drinking-a.jpg

#12 Feb 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You are made up of the genetic stock of Britons, Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Danes and Normans.  That doesn't mean you are mongrels.  Sheesh.  It just means you are, like everyone else, mixed up.

#13 Feb 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Expat
Active

I just wrote a whole side of stuff that maybe got wiped out when maybe the page timed out? Causing the reload after posting to not give access until logging in... and losing what was written.

Short response, If I as the mongrel do not have a problem with the expression, which I think most Brits would identify with.... Why do you? Maybe it has different connotations for you than me? Can't see your problem.

#14 Feb 16, 2018 10:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Well, in my neck of the woods "mongrel" is a very pejorative term.  If it isn't to you, never mind.

#15 Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm

Expat
Active

Not trying to be tedious in being the last person to post, but explanations are usually helpful

Sure to call someone a mongrel, or even a nation in general could be though of as being disrespectful, but if it's true who gives a crap? it simply states that there was a lot of inter nation mixing. Even more recently courtesy of reverse Empire push. Briton did it over a couple of hundred centuries, and then some.

America has done it over 2 or 3. Despite enclaves of Poles, Italians, Slovacs, Mexicans, Chinese Irish, Forced labour, etc etc, America is destined to be a melting pot just the same. It seems curious to pride oneself on being a Nation of Migrants which almost screams the word mongrel, and being sensitive about it.

I would have thought the photo I posted illustrated that I, and I think you will find most Brits do not take themselves or their stereotypes seriously.

Last edited by Expat (Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm)

#16 Feb 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It just isn't a very nice word.   Yes, I am primarily Czech but there is a bit of German and Belgian mixed in too.  I don't know that it makes me a mongrel.  Just a dude with ancestors from central Europe.  Now my kids have more than that.  They have, because of their mother, a dose of English, Irish and Russian so I guess they are even more melted in the pot.

#17 Feb 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

For the record, the Oxford English dictionary says the term is offensive...

1.2 offensive A person of mixed descent.

‘she was a mongrel, only half French’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mongrel

#18 Feb 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It just isn't a very nice word.   Yes, I am primarily Czech but there is a bit of German and Belgian mixed in too.  I don't know that it makes me a mongrel.  Just a dude with ancestors from central Europe.  Now my kids have more than that.  They have, because of their mother, a dose of English, Irish and Russian so I guess they are even more melted in the pot.

Oh dear, a shame Belgium had to raise it's head. Your claims of non association with Slavery just went out the window. King Leopold 11's Brutality and murderous practices in Congo put him up with several other mass murdering leaders in history. Even his own people boo's his funeral cortège in 1909. The slavery may have been internal, but from many accounts it was probably worse than many of the exported victims. Regardless of the amputations, systematic punishment rapes and hand removal for failure to make targets, the work of collecting the latex for rubber was done by coating their bodies with several layers and removal usually resulted in lost hair and skin.

http://www.historytoday.com/tim-stanley … t-darkness

#19 Feb 16, 2018 10:05 pm

houston
Active

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.

#20 Feb 16, 2018 10:09 pm

houston
Active

Board footer