You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jan 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Expat
Active

Chicago, Chicago that murdering town

Murder rates up 72% despite various programs and initiatives. Shooting incidents up 88%.

That's 762 Murders, and 3,550 shootings.

And still Chicago isn't the murder capital of America.

London seems to be averaging out at around 118.

Due to the arms available in the UK most of those murders will probably not be gun related.

Were I being provocative I could suggest that those boroughs with the highest murder rates were also those with the highest immigrant populations, coupled with least pleasant environment.  Eg Lambeth which houses Brixton tops the list at 154 between 2001 and 2012, yet Harrow had only 24.... one being too many.

Although there are guns available for those of a criminal disposition, they are not tucked into every halfwits bedside table. Otherwise I would suspect the shooting/murder rate in the UK could be as abysmal as the USA's.... with the exception of Ohio which is obviously beyond rebuke. Simply because folk are so spread out they do not have long rifles powerful enough to shoot the next closest person.... wink.

#2 Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Chicago, Chicago that murdering town

Who lives in Ohio?

#3 Jan 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Who lives in Ohio?

Ooops it's been so long, I forgot .... Iowa.

#4 Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

#5 Jan 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I read that somebody in London gets stabbed every 52 seconds.  I feel sorry for that poor bastard.

#6 Jan 04, 2017 12:31 pm

gripe
Active

"And still Chicago isn't the murder capital of America." Therefore, why not report on the actual "murder capital of America" and leave MY Chicago alone?

#7 Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Expat
Active

I thought I replied to this, maybe my puter went down while I was doing something else, and hadn't clicked submit.

The principal reason was Chicago was highlighted by the conventional media, and a few simple searches raised data, while further tedious research would have been needed to find out about other locations.... I did at least say it wasn't the MOST violent place in America.  Knock yourself out if you feel the need to find out and post who is top of that unsavoury league table.

#8 Jan 06, 2017 11:31 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I read that somebody in London gets stabbed every 52 seconds.  I feel sorry for that poor bastard.

Big LOL!!

#9 Jan 06, 2017 11:36 am

New Historian
Active

Chicago, 1966:

All the exchange teachers stayed in a group, chaperoned by the Fulbright people. In three days we did all the sights of New York City then moved by Greyhound bus to Washington DC. We stayed at the Hotel Washington, overlooking the Rose Garden. Three days later we were actually in the Rose Garden, where President Lyndon Baines Johnson gave a speech to all the English exchange teachers. As he moved down the line he squeezed my hand in his giant maw and said:

“Welcome to America, suhhn.”

I always did like LBJ (pity about Vietnam).

We took another Greyhound bus from Washington to Chicago; 36 hours of torture. The bus driver was a machine, he would never stop! And we won’t talk about the state of the chemical toilet after 36 hours of abuse. We pulled into the Greyhound bus station on West 95th Street, in one of Chicago’s worst ghettos, at 3AM. While Dad dozed the three of us decided to explore Chicago. This grizzled old bum was amazed to see three little foreign boys, out on the mean streets at this time of night.

“Boys, y’all best hurry on back to where y’all belong, real quick y’hear?”

Why? We innocently inquired.

“Cos of the po-leece!!” He bellowed back. We got the message and fled back to the (relative) safety of the bus station.

#10 Jan 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Around 400 a month injured doesn't equate to every 52 second.  Give the guy a break. every 52 seconds he must be well fed up with being jooked.

Board footer