You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Baltimore is the nation's most dangerous city

Baltimore is the big city with the highest per capita murder rate in the nation, with nearly 56 murders per 100,000 people. At 343 murders in 2017, the city tallied the highest per capita rate in its history.

I don't see how that can be.  Guns are practically illegal in Maryland and in Baltimore in particular.  The state has some of the strictest gun laws in the US.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 … 302763002/

#2 Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Baltimore is the nation's most dangerous city

What use are city and state gun controls when you can just go across the state line and buy them freely? Are there secure borders between states now? Complete red herring, put out by you and your NRA bredren.

#3 Feb 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

That's the point, isn't it?  Gun laws don't work if the bad guys have access to guns.  Bad guys don't obey the laws.  Good guys obey gun laws in Baltimore but the bad guys just ignore them.

There are 300 million guns and trillions of rounds of ammunition in the US.  You can ban guns but the result will be just like Baltimore.  The good guys will be disarmed and the bad guys will just ignore them.

I don't want to turn the US into Baltimore: A place were the good guys are disarmed and the bad guys run rampant.

#4 Feb 20, 2018 4:48 pm

New Historian
Active

And of course, NOTHING can be done to disarm the bad guys, right? So let's just arm every citizen: man woman and child. Let's have teachers packing heat, pastors in churches, people walking around with AR-15s.

#5 Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

That's the point, isn't it?  Gun laws don't work if the bad guys have access to guns.  Bad guys don't obey the laws.  Good guys obey gun laws in Baltimore but the bad guys just ignore them.

There are 300 million guns and trillions of rounds of ammunition in the US.  You can ban guns but the result will be just like Baltimore.  The good guys will be disarmed and the bad guys will just ignore them.

I don't want to turn the US into Baltimore: A place were the good guys are disarmed and the bad guys run rampant.

Could they improve the policing and stiffen the penalties in Maryland?
What exactly are the penalties for illegal use, possession, improper care, illegally obtained, restricted firearm....?

#6 Feb 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

And of course, NOTHING can be done to disarm the bad guys, right?

It seems like it should be possible to disarm the bad guys while allowing the law abiding citizenry to remain armed.  That would be the best situation.  But how?

#7 Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

houston
Active

Not sure with all that many guns.
Best start might be to increase the penalty for illegal possession and use. Not many would stock a firearm if the automatic sentence was five years for in the slammer for illegal possession.

#8 Feb 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Straw purchasers aren't being prosecuted.  That is people who are authorized to buy guns who buy them on behalf of those who are prohibited.  Nobody wants to prosecute a criminal's grandma or wife.  They need to make an example of a few.

I am willing to make it harder to own a gun.  I am willing to change medical privacy laws to make it clear who is mentally unfit.  I am willing to put teeth in background checks.  I am willing to do all of that.

Again, the goal should be disarming the animals while keeping the law abiding citizenry armed.  Any government unwilling to allow the law abiding citizenry to be armed is suspect.

#9 Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Expat
Active

So, basically all Westernised countries are suspect? Excepting those where they are obliged to hold firearms by the State. So just about everybody then.

There may be technicalities, but basically all other countries have severe restriction on ownership, even if that restriction is passing a near impossible test.

And all those countries have significantly less gun crime/homicides.

You know I love guns, but this paranoia about the State trying to stop ownership completely has to stop.

Even with the AR15s, which are no worse than your average hunting rifle..... Except you can if you really want to carry the load get a 50 round mag. A 5 or even a max of 10 round per mag is more than adequate. The hypothetical fire-fight in a home invasion happens how often? Wouldn't a pump action shotgun be better in most in house scenarios.

There is little wrong with the AR15 rifle, only its being hyped into a warfare must have. So just like I must have the latest Ducatti, or Amplifier for those that get into reading the magazines, the latest bolt on or accessory is an Adrenalin rush.

As you have told us, despite living in a wide open state with lax laws, and historically you have used guns, even though you like to have them around, you still don't really think you will ever need them, other than for huntn, shootn, or fishn. Own them, lock them up, as you do, own multiple variants as it can be a hobby, but you don't need 20-30-50 round mags for civillian life. Give someone a chance to take down the bad guy while he slots in another mag. Keep the body count low.

#10 Feb 20, 2018 11:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

So, basically all Westernised countries are suspect?

Absolutely.  The idea that a free man who is a citizen, law abiding and tax paying should be prevented from being armed by the state is, without a doubt, suspect.

Board footer