You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Feb 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Expat
Active

Should they be arming Teachers?

Somehow I don't think so... While at the same time wishing there were more people to protect the kids when these lunatics get affected by a full moon.

I think teachers can already be under enough pressure, especially in deprived areas where the kids (generalizing) either don't want to be in school and play up, or are one of the disruptive ones that teachers now have to deal with due to namby pamby you can't touch my kid no matter how bad he is parents.

To put a stressed teacher into a conflict situation, where maybe even a student flare up might make this armed person think the kid is reaching into their bag for a gun, might bring about some hard top swallow accidents.

We have seen that not all security guards have balls of steel, but can turn to marshmallow when they should be rushing in where angels fear to tread, but in a country where deranged people seem to think schools of any age group are a fair target, there SHOULD be an armed presence. You cannot leave innocents to be butchered when protection could be arranged.

It is a sad indictment on the state of America, but if it is what is needed then it is what is needed. Until better gun regulation helps to cut down reckless owners.

#2 Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

houston
Active

Re: Should they be arming Teachers?

Certainly not.
The focus should be on disarming rather than ramping up the arms.

#3 Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm

houston
Active

The idea that we need to protect ourselves from our elected governments is a bit old.They are us and we are them.
If authorities ever did decide to roll out the tanks, would all those tucked away rifles make any difference?

#4 Feb 24, 2018 9:38 pm

houston
Active

#5 Feb 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't know that "we should arm" teachers but I certainly believe that a teacher who is otherwise authorized to carry a sidearm shouldn't be denied the ability to do so in school.

#6 Feb 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is a sad indictment on the state of America...

Once again, 54 summers in the US of A and I have never heard a shot fired in anger or personally known a person who was shot.  You guys seem to have no idea how large this country is or how much greater the murder rate is in Grenada, for example, than it is in the US.

It's like Shark Week on cable TV.  Whenever Shark Week is on, people start obsessing about shark attacks.  The rest of the time they don't give it a thought.

#7 Feb 25, 2018 9:28 am

Slice
Active

Even if they are armed with a pistol, they are no match for a submachine gun.  Those cops that was outside the school are no fools, they knew what that guy was using.

#8 Feb 25, 2018 9:31 am

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't know that "we should arm" teachers but I certainly believe that a teacher who is otherwise authorized to carry a sidearm shouldn't be denied the ability to do so in school.

If the teacher is female, she can be easily overpowered, by her male students.

#9 Feb 25, 2018 10:12 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

Even if they are armed with a pistol, they are no match for a submachine gun.  Those cops that was outside the school are no fools, they knew what that guy was using.

First, I know of no crime committed with a sub-machine gun since the 1930s gangster era.  I have never heard of one used in a school.

Secondly, the cops who stayed outside are rank cowards. They make me sick.

#10 Feb 25, 2018 10:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

If the teacher is female, she can be easily overpowered, by her male students.

First off, that is an argument for women to carry.  God created humans but Colonel Colt made them equal.  Secondly, women carry all over America.  It is women who don't carry who are at a disadvantage.  A woman with a sidearm is now equal to a stronger male.

In any case, carrying by teachers would be voluntary.

Board footer