You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 25, 2018 7:51 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Should they be arming Teachers?

houston wrote:

Certainly not.
The focus should be on disarming rather than ramping up the arms.

Your goal is no guns... disarm.   Mine is guns in the hands of responsible, entitled, people. Which might mean many would be disarmed if alterations were made to the pathetic legislation at the moment.... (In the USA). Gun safes, and erratic spot checks should be part of the process.

Guns in Grenada are much more regulated than the USA, and are mostly owned by sensible law abiding citizens, with one or two exceptions due to nepotism, or mateship, or simply status. There are spot checks, but amusingly one can be rung up to ask if someone will be at home.

Guns in the UK are very much more regulated than the USA ownership is not dependent on whether you are a relative of a senior politician, or anyone else. The Police generally do a thorough job of checking the individual out. Just like Grenada, it is a privilege not a right.

#12 Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't know that "we should arm" teachers but I certainly believe that a teacher who is otherwise authorized to carry a sidearm shouldn't be denied the ability to do so in school.

I agree with that, I think a person who is already gun minded and is likely to use it for that reason should be permitted, but to be delegated, or pressured into being the designated gun holder for the day would potentially put a person who would panic and over react, or run with everybody else.

Not saying it wouldn't be scary, but to watch the kids come running out and not trying to find where the shooter was is a real level of gutless.

#13 Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Mine is guns in the hands of responsible, entitled, people.

Mine too.  Yet every law seems to disarm the law abiding while leaving the criminal class fully armed.  That is unacceptable.

I see no way to get rid of guns.  Right now California, Colorado and Washington are ignoring federal marijuana laws to no ill effect.  The state police won't enforce federal law and cannot be forced to do so.  California and scores of municipalities are ignoring federal immigration law and the feds can't force them to enforce it.

If Houston's dream of getting rid of guns is tried, at least half the states will refuse to enforce the federal law and that will be that.

Even when states pass laws like these they tend to be ignored.  A few years ago New Jersey passed a law that all grandfathered so-called assault rifles had to be registered.  They estimated there are 100,000 to 200,000 in the state.  Only 967 were registered.

If the feds to go after a few gun resisters in states like Texas, you can bet that the juries will be full of gun sympathizers and no convictions will be had.

I am not saying any of this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

#14 Feb 25, 2018 8:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It is the nature of America.  Maybe 65 percent of all Americans want tougher gun laws but those are urban people.  Meanwhile, in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, etc. 80 percent are opposed to more gun laws. 

This is a republic.  The preference of the people of New York City is very, very difficult to impose on the people of, say, Alaska.

#15 Feb 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

Even if they are armed with a pistol, they are no match for a submachine gun.  Those cops that was outside the school are no fools, they knew what that guy was using.

First, I know of no crime committed with a sub-machine gun since the 1930s gangster era.  I have never heard of one used in a school.

Secondly, the cops who stayed outside are rank cowards. They make me sick.

Despite hand guns generally not having the range or power of a rifle, that is still no reason for not engaging. A pistol user does not have to stand out in the quadrangle taking on the shooter like a gunfight at the OK corral, they can use cover and pick off the shooter who is probably less trained.

There is an enormous amount of ignorance both on the nomenclature and the purpose/capabilities of firearms. So The sub-machine gun error is understandable. As we know just about every media person goes on about AR15's being assault weapons, when they are assault "style". Assault weapons being fully automatic capable, and meant for suppressing fire to keep the enemies head down or spray bursts.

AR not standing for assault rifle, but ARmalite, the original manufacturers who sold it to Colt. Originally it was fully auto, as was used by the military, but is now for civilian use, and unless modified and thus "illegal" it cannot fire fully auto. Which is why the Las Vegas killer got a "trick" bump stock to cause the rifle to fire in a similar way to a proper fully automatic.

Being .223 or 5.56 caliber it is just a smidgen bigger than the puny .22 used by small-bore rifles and hand guns which have almost no "kick", but having a whopping cartridge behind the bullet it is a much nastier round at the receiving end.

#16 Feb 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Correct, Expat.  It's not like the cop had to face off with the shooter like it was an old fashioned duel.

Look, if my choices are limited to these…

1) Go inside, face a shooter, die in shootout, have a funeral attended by thousands, go down in family history as a hero, or…

2) Stay outside hidden and spend the rest of my life dying the thousand deaths of a coward…

…I would choose #1 every single time. I believe if I chose #2 I would have to commit suicide for the shame.

I don’t believe those are the only choices. I could have gone in a side entrance or climbed in a window. I could have lobbed a few shots at him from around a corner and retreated. I could have done many things that would have 1) required the shooters attention on me rather than killing children, 2) maybe caused him to give up and run away, 3) maybe pinned him down, 4) maybe I’d get lucky and kill him. In any of these situations, some kids who are dead now would likely be alive.

I would rather put the gun to my head and shoot myself than stand by doing nothing while children die. My life wouldn’t be worth living if I did that.

None of us are going to live forever. Better to live the best possible life even if it is cut short. Death isn’t close to the worst thing than can happen to a man.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm)

#17 Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

houston
Active

#18 Feb 25, 2018 11:09 pm

houston
Active

I like this version.

#19 Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New information: The cop who didn't go in was armed with a rifle himself.  He says he didn't go in because he believed the gunfire he heard was outside the school building.

#20 Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm

Expat
Active

Not heard the latest, but OK, it was happening outside... he thought.... go look?

Maybe we shouldn't rip his balls off until the facts are out there. Media hangings seem to be more common these days, but not getting involved just doesn't seem right.

Christmas before last, I helped a pal out with some security work as all his regular guys were tied up and he knew my capabilities. At the end of the day the takings were put into the Banks night safe .. The ladies seemed not to realise the potential for something to kick off, but I went from pull and rack to one in the pipe. If you put yourself into the firing line you have to be ready to act.

Grab and run, ok let the police try and catch them, but look as if to hurt the courier you are going down buddy.

Board footer