You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Feb 26, 2018 11:13 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Help needed with this nation's addiction problem

You've neatly sidestepped my accusation of hypocrisy, to wit: if you vote, an action that you yourself admit will have "no noticeable influence" on the outcome of the electoral process. And yet when it comes to gun conrtol you stand helplessly by, you the same democratic civic-minded citizen, and say "I can't do anything about it". Double standard? In the one case, you'll happily cast your "useless vote", and in the other you can't even be bothered to lift a finger to change the status quo, even if that status quo is killing thousands of your countrymen every year. Why? Because, in your little safe haven of Iowa, it doesn't impact YOU. Your family, your friends, your people aren't getting killed. It's only "them".

Hypocritical? Yes. Callous? Certainly. Racist? Hmm.

Last edited by New Historian (Feb 26, 2018 11:14 pm)

#12 Feb 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't vote based on gun rights.  I vote my economic interests.   Not that it matters.  My vote never swayed an election in my life.

For the record, more people are killed each year by automobiles than by guns.  I don't vote to make automobiles illegal either.

You really need to get off my back.  Nothing I do or don't do is going to change the firearms situation in the US.

#13 Feb 27, 2018 8:07 am

Dancer
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You act like it is up to me.  I am simply telling you the way it is.

I see no way to get rid of guns.  Right now California, Colorado and Washington are ignoring federal marijuana laws to no ill effect.  The state police won't enforce federal law and cannot be forced to do so.  California and scores of municipalities are ignoring federal immigration law and the feds can't force them to enforce it.

If your dream of getting rid of guns is tried, at least half the states will refuse to enforce the federal law and that will be that.

Even when states pass laws like these they tend to be ignored.  A few years ago New Jersey passed a law that all grandfathered so-called assault rifles had to be registered.  They estimated there are 100,000 to 200,000 in the state.  Only 967 were registered.

If the feds to go after a few gun resisters in states like Texas, you can bet that the juries will be full of gun sympathizers and no convictions will be had.

What will happen is the nation will be further divided. More hateful. More dysfunctional.

I am not saying any of this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is.

I must agree with  a lot of what you stated .  Your  gun problem is huge .

#14 Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am

New Historian
Active

"You really need to get off my back."

Touchy touchy. You really need to stop being so hyper hypocritical when it comes to your precious WMDs.

#15 Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

"Hypocritical" means that I say one thing and do the opposite.  How am I doing that?

#16 Feb 27, 2018 9:09 am

New Historian
Active

Does your individual vote change anything? No, yet you vote.

Would your individual stance in favour of sensible gun control change anything? Maybe, yet you refuse to say a peep.

That, my friend, is hypocrisy.

#17 Feb 27, 2018 9:12 am

Slice
Active

But RD I think the fact that nations, who do not have those amounts of guns are much safer,is enough to get rid  of all guns. There are three millions in the US. Why do folks need that much guns? There ent ah ting good about guns. Leave it up to me,every gun that is not owned by goverment  should be taken away.

#18 Feb 27, 2018 9:18 am

Slice
Active

Slice wrote:

But RD I think the fact that nations, who do not have those amounts of guns are much safer,is enough to get rid  of all guns. There are three millions in the US. Why do folks need that much guns? There ent ah ting good about guns. Leave it up to me,every gun that is not owned by goverment  should be taken away.

You wanna hunt, then go the Police station the day of your hunt and register to have a gun. If you do bring it back, there will be ah hefty fine, and never again you will be given ah   hunting gun.
This situation is like the civil rights and also Gay rights, not in my life time, but in my children or Grandchildren, guns ownership will be ah ting of the past.

#19 Feb 27, 2018 9:47 am

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:
Slice wrote:

You wanna hunt, then go the Police station the day of your hunt and register to have a gun. If you do bring it back, there will be ah hefty fine, and never again you will be given ah   hunting gun.
This situation is like the civil rights and also Gay rights, not in my life time, but in my children or Grandchildren, guns ownership will be ah ting of the past.

Hear hear!

#20 Feb 27, 2018 11:13 am

Real Distwalker
Active

There are a hell of a lot more than three million guns.  Probably 300 million guns and trillions of rounds of ammo.

Okay.  I agree.  Let's get rid of all the guns. 

What?  A hundred million people disagree and refuse?  And these people vote?  And they are concentrated in half the states where they are majorities?

Now what?

Board footer