You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#31 Feb 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Help needed with this nation's addiction problem

New Historian wrote:

Exactly the same thing you do to influence the direction your country is going: Vote, make noise, activate, hold your elected officials accountable. I'm sure you wouldn't remain silent if the Iowa state legislature wanted to pass huge tax increases that would directly affect you, would you?

No, I wouldn't.  And the politicians who support gun control also want to raise my taxes.

We live in a nation that has a two party system.  Are you suggesting that I should become a one issue voter?   That I should vote for a candidate who is hostile to my interests economically and culturally in order to advance gun control?  I said "be practical".

The reality is that gun control candidates are almost always hostile to all of my other interests.  For God's sake man, you are arguing that I should vote against every interest I have in order to support a gun control issue?! 

For the record, more Americans have been killed by lawnmowers since 2007 than in mass shootings.

#32 Feb 28, 2018 5:37 pm

New Historian
Active

"For the record, more Americans have been killed by lawnmowers since 2007 than in mass shootings.

Proof?

#33 Feb 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

More people were killed by lawnmowers than mass shootings since 1966.

According to this site 1,077 Americans have been killed in mass shootings since 1966. That is an average of 21 per year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics … 6398a335dd

According to this site, small tractors and lawnmowers kill 75 Americans per year.  Since 1966, that would equal 3,900

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58235/11 … ier-sharks

Average killed in US per year

Mass shootings: 21
Falling out of bed: 450
Falling TV sets: 29
Falling down stairs: 1,600
Bathtubs: 300

#34 Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm

New Historian
Active

Mentalfloss.com? That sounds like real rigourous research. And now tractors are in the mix too. Lame.

#35 Feb 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

But you are okay with the Washington Post data showing an average of 21 deaths per year since 1966?  I am sure that we can find better data to suit you.

Here is a link to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). 

Number of deaths accidental poisoning: 42,032
Number of deaths from accidental falls: 31,959
Annual deaths from mass shootings: 21

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Feb 28, 2018 7:42 pm)

#36 Feb 28, 2018 8:50 pm

New Historian
Active

I can quote you a million causes of death that are a million times higher than mass shootings - and why are you narrowing it down to mass shootings, what about "ordinary" shootings? That's not the point; the point is the needless killing of thousands of your fellow citizens every year, due to the ready availability of guns.

You know what, knock yourself out, kill yourselves in droves. Like you, I don't give a rat's ass.

#37 Feb 28, 2018 9:37 pm

houston
Active

How in the world does one get killed by a lawnmower? I can get loss of fingers and toes, but death??

#38 Feb 28, 2018 10:05 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

How in the world does one get killed by a lawnmower? I can get loss of fingers and toes, but death??

Did you read his lame follow-up when I pressed him to prove it? He means tractors.

#39 Feb 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I mean lawn tractors... like this.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRznD-zvS6ucp0iq947upxTuM6H5cyzgA4wNdD4BV6GwHGGeLeaZLTQpcmzCkdhWpPMT_bUo9m&usqp=CAE

#40 Feb 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If we are talking about "ordinary" shootings we aren't talking about AR-15s, we are talking about handguns.  We are also generall talking about garden variety criminals killing each other.

Board footer