You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Expat
Active

Our flight take up of tourists is crap

Just taking a peek at Flightradar24 and passed the mouse over a few planes heading down south.

Thomas cook had 3 planes from different UK airports going to BARBADOS, Virgin had a plane going to BARBADOS, and BA had a plane going to BARBADOS... not 80 passengers out of 300 as we get when UK planes stop in St Lucia, and continue to Grenada, but presumable full plane loads. Probably BA had one or two others en route, but as I was only checking locally I didn't pan out to see what had just left the UK, or was passing the Azores.

Are we too great to take package trip holiday makers?  Not yobs and alcoholics, just people who book a holiday via a catalogue and travel agent.

Seems like we we are too proud to make money. 5 planes say 300 each 1500 passengers all ready to spend., multiply that by 360 as there are lots of planes heading to Barbados nearly every day, and Grenada's economy would be booming.

Not only that but it would be easier to get a flight in or out as there would be more possibilities for a vacant seat. Currently since BA and Virgin cut the size of their aircraft it is really hard to make a late booking for a funeral for example.

#2 Mar 04, 2018 3:04 pm

houston
Active

Re: Our flight take up of tourists is crap

Here in Canada there is next to no advertisement for Grenada as a tourist destination. There is very little awareness of Grenada other then the few that might have stopped there on a çruise vacation. Not sure why but it might have something to do with the cost of a return flight. A return flight from Toronto PIA can cost as much as a one week all inclusive deal to Jamaica, Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Republic etc.
For a few bucks more they go to St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts. Bahamas is a bit pricey considering a 4 day package is about the same cost as the other 7 day excursions.
For those that have been to Grenada on a çruise stop, they rave about how beautiful and unique it is. They always say it was the best island they visited. Part of that uniqueness is that it is relatively undiscovered by hoards of tourists, so you have to be careful what you wish for.
I think with European tourists they will pick any place in the Caribbean being as they are making a long flight across anyway.  Where as North Americans tend to go to the nearest and the cheapest.

#3 Mar 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Expat
Active

Lack of advertising is probably the biggest problem... But advertising and buying flights/hotel is the expensive holiday. What I think the majority of the holidays I am talking about are hotel linked flights as part of a "package" from a tourist company. From the UK we used to have Caledonian, and another one I can't remember the name, but what ever, it was a holiday that cost just a little bit more than the regular flight.

#4 Mar 04, 2018 6:00 pm

houston
Active

Aruba is another highly pushed destination. All of those destinations seek tourists. The tourism industry is probably the main product of income for locals but it comes with a price. Do Grenadians really want to pay that price?
Also, as Historian mentioned on a prior post, is it really worth the hassle of having a bunch of tight tourist invade your home?

#5 Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm

houston
Active

Grenada has some great ideas. The vendors market at Grand Anse is a perfect example. Many tell me how relaxed they felt in Grenada without the constant harassment of vendors on the beach.

#6 Mar 05, 2018 8:39 am

Slice
Active

I once work in a place that use to do conventions, and one of the biggest and best convention  was held by a European  company and it was all bout tourism.  Barbados had a large booth and also Bahamas also Jamaica  was in the mix, but there was no Grenada. Sandals is helping out Grenada, but that is it.  Grenada does nothing to promote tourism.  I say rather than catering to their citizens living abroad, they should start catering to tourist all over the world.

#7 Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am

piratejenny
Active

Here in the American hinterland, the only advertisement I see on television is for Aruba on Public Broadcasting Service - with the note "direct flights available from most major airports."

Hit me over the head and call me Charlie - WHUT?

I cannot help thinking how I have to overnight at JFK to get the very early morning so-called direct flight to Grenada . . . and I am not sure that remains the single option.

#8 Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Expat
Active

piratejenny wrote:

Here in the American hinterland, the only advertisement I see on television is for Aruba on Public Broadcasting Service - with the note "direct flights available from most major airports."

Hit me over the head and call me Charlie - WHUT?

I cannot help thinking how I have to overnight at JFK to get the very early morning so-called direct flight to Grenada . . . and I am not sure that remains the single option.

Charlie, can't you get to Miami?

#9 Mar 06, 2018 9:12 am

Slice
Active

That is exactly, what I was  going to ask her.

Last edited by Slice (Mar 06, 2018 9:14 am)

Board footer