You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm

New Historian
Active

RD tell me this piece of idiocy is fake news, please

#2 Mar 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: RD tell me this piece of idiocy is fake news, please

Nope, it is real.  Iowa has a law that says people cannot be discriminated against due to physical handicap.  Therefore, a blind person cannot be discriminated against.

I think it should be changed but advocates for the handicapped don't want to give an inch.  They fear the slippery slope argument.

Frankly, I don't think, as a practical matter, it is a huge problem.  Very few blind people will attempt to get a carry permit. 

In any case, nothing stops a blind man from carrying illegally in Maryland... or Grenada.

#3 Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm

gripe
Active

RD, in the context of New Historian's alarm at the "idiocy" of the Iowa law being discussed, I don't understand your statement that "In any case, nothing stops a blind man from carrying illegally in Maryland... or Grenada." Your statement does not address the "idiocy" concern. Why? Because the issue is not that a blind person can get a gun illegally. The fact is that ANY individual, sighted or blind or of whatever persuasion or physical ability, or lack thereof, can, indeed, illegally possess guns. However, the "idiocy" factor with the Iowa law is that it allows the blind to LEGALLY possess guns.

RD, it is not difficult to understand how very dangerous it is for blind people to legally have guns to try to protect themselves or others. The variations of possible nightmare outcomes, including for the blind gun owner, are just too much. Admittedly, there could be instances where a blind gun owner actually hits the target. We all know that there are exceptions to every rule and that life presents us, occasionally, with unexpected outcomes and events that make us scratch our heads.

My sense is that the non-discrimination against blind persons argument, per Iowa, is as flaky as it gets because any reasonable person can understand why the law at issue makes no sense. For example, are blind persons allowed to have driver's permits/licenses? Are they allowed to drive? How are they being discriminated against by laws that do not grant them a driver's license or prevents them from driving? (See this article discussing how blind people are pushing for "driverless cars": https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … less-cars)

To me, Iowa needs to revisit the "idiocy" that is on the books regarding blind persons having the right to legally carry guns.

#4 Mar 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I agree.  It should be corrected.  I am not defending the dumb law.  It should be changed.  I think it will be changed.

My point was simply that people don't need a permit to get a gun.  Blind people anywhere can get guns, not just Iowa.

It is a bad idea for a blind person to have a gun in Iowa or elsewhere.

#5 Mar 09, 2018 12:04 am

New Historian
Active

It's okay RD, no need to overdo it lol. At the end of the day it is what it is: a Facebook click-fest. I don't think blind Iowans are going to flock to the gun shops!

But, it's the optics...

Board footer